PDA

View Full Version : new turnings

robyn2839
29th August 2007, 09:46 PM
here are a couple of things i made this week. the clock was mango body,and rose mahogony the rest, and the plate was black bean, i think. horrible stuff to turn unprotected. never do that again. also cleaned up shed today , wish i could learn to put up with untidyness , left sawdust on floor last night in protest after a turning session, convinced i had cured myself from obsessive,compulsive,couldn,t sleep thinking about it and had to get up some time after midnight and clean it up. oh well. bob

BernieP
29th August 2007, 11:22 PM
G'Day Bob

Very nice turnings, for sale or gifts? Also nice looking setup you have there.
Greenie sent.

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
29th August 2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Bob - nice work:2tsup: and nice setup - though I don't know how you manage to keep it all so clean. Obsessive compulsive:oo: - glad that doesn't afflict me - my shed (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=53376) wouldn't look right if it was too clean:B .

[Edit:Oh yeah - forgot to add; that black bean looks really pretty - pity it was a hassle to turn (dusty/irritable I guess???).]

BANNED
29th August 2007, 11:30 PM
Hi robyn2839,
I like the wood you used on the plate, (black bean), why is it nasty to work with? never used such wood.
I had seen your workshop before, and I admire it, and the way you always keep it, nice and clean.
Keeping the workshop clean for some, is no different than driving in a clean car, for others. Nothing wrong with it.
I also notice all the nice blanks you got shelved, are you trying to "tease" us? it worked for me...!:oo: hahahahahh.
I got out of bed in the middle of the night, for a lot worse than that...!:D

Cheers
GV

TTIT
30th August 2007, 12:34 AM
Nice job on the clock Bob :2tsup: - are there are knobs to go on the ends of the dowel section?? just wondering about the little tenons on the ends??
Keep makin' a mess and just leave it a little longer each time - you'll get used to it eventually. Can be real nice with wood like rose mahogany too - like having incense in there!!:U

wheelinround
30th August 2007, 10:59 AM
:no: nah can't do it
can't look any more:C
getting jelouse:(

but :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: top marks

robyn2839
30th August 2007, 02:59 PM
dont sell my turnings we usually give them away for some reason,and the blackbean is famous for eye inflamation,coughing etc. and i dont know what to do with the ends of the dowells, was going to sharpen maybe?. bob

mick61
31st August 2007, 12:38 AM
G`day that is one of the cleanest workshops I have seen where do you do your woodwork in someone elses :; Nice work:2tsup:
Mick:D

Hardenfast
31st August 2007, 08:59 AM
Nice works Bob. I too wonder why Blackbean gives you grief in the turning process? Is it an irritant dust thing?

Also, a little intrigued as to how you did the curved frame piece for the clock?

Wayne

robyn2839
31st August 2007, 09:32 AM
turned it as a ring then cut it, and blackbean is a terrible irritant, if you like i will send you some so you too can experience the terrible ordeal it gives, mind you with a respirator it is beautiful to turn. bob

reeves
1st September 2007, 07:08 AM
Bob, nice turnings mate, interesting deisgn on the clock, maybe try some nice sheaok caps for the end of the dowels, rounded...

The blackbean plate has a really nice grain contrast..

as for the ultra clean shed, my wife is impressed for sure....and each to their own, feel no guilt, i sometimes wish my cleaning urge was up to strach as yrs is but not often..;-)

OGYT
1st September 2007, 03:38 PM
Really nice work!!! At first glance, the Black Bean Plate looked like a segmented piece... second the thought about the oak knobs on the dowels... :)
Once, a lady, in my shed, looked around at the mess, and said, "You must be an artist, Al". I said, "not really, why?". She then said, "Well, most artists are slobs... and you certainly are a slob." :)
:secret: Now, I take pride in my messy shed. (But I do like a clean lathe!) :D

hughie
1st September 2007, 10:03 PM
She then said, "Well, most artists are slobs... and you certainly are a slob." :)

Doncha just love the impertinence of generalisations.......:U