PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge bowl in Osage Orange

scooter
29th August 2007, 10:40 PM
Gday

Allan from Wallan gave me this small log of Osage Orange, thought I'd have a crack at my first NE bowl.

Split the log in half, then had to make a flat area for the chuck jaws to seat against when the woodworm chuck screw was screwed right in.

Held the half-log between spur & live centres with the bark side facing tailstock, and used a gouge & parting tool to cut a flat in the middle of the bark.

Removed blank from lathe, drilled pilot hole for woodworm screw, & screwed blank onto screw.

Turned outside of bowl and foot, and sanded to 400g then EEE..

I bought a 4" piece of 50mm aluminium bar stock (bit under $10) a month ago that I'd had cut into "pucks" each a bit less than one inch long.

Inserted one of these alum. pieces into the chuck & turned the protruding half down to about 1 1/2 inches to fit the foot of the bowl, then heated it up on an upturned iron, melted on a few slivers of yellow hotmelt glue, and stuck the puck to the foot of the bowl.

With the bowl glued to the puck, I mounted the puck into the chuck & turned the inside, sanded & EEE.

Finished inside & out with boiled linseed oil diluted 1:1 with turps.

Really chuffed with how it turned out.

Cheers.....................Sean

DJ’s Timber
29th August 2007, 10:51 PM
Very nice Sean, it's a beauty :2tsup:

Like the puck idea too

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th August 2007, 10:56 PM
Really chuffed with how it turned out.

...and so you should be! Nice! :thyel:

BANNED
29th August 2007, 11:08 PM
Hi scooter,
No doubt, Allan gave you a nice piece of timber, but you brought it to life very nicely. I'm not familiar with that timber species, but I'm surprised to the amount of bark, still attached to the wood. Did you use any special technique to keep it together?
In any case, you done very well.

Cheers
GV

BernieP
29th August 2007, 11:28 PM
G'Day Scooter

Very nice, the bark really finishes it off, might be your first NE but guess it won't be your last.

Cheers
Bernie

Caveman
29th August 2007, 11:36 PM
Hey Sean - nice one! Looks real nice wood.
Is it still wet or was the log totally dry?

TTIT
30th August 2007, 12:21 AM
Skew beat me to it but I'm gonna echo it any way :shrug:
........Really chuffed with how it turned out.And so you ought to be! Excellent job Scooter :2tsup:

I'm stunned that the glue holds so well on ali' - I use hardwood spigots for the same purpose and glue with PVA. I take it the yellow hot melt is stronger???? Haven't come across it :no:

benji79
30th August 2007, 07:55 AM
Really nice bowl, love it. :2tsup:

Benji

RufflyRustic
30th August 2007, 09:49 AM
Scooter!!!! It's Gorgeous!!!! :U The shape makes such a feature of the timber's colours from the heartwood all the way to the bark!!!!:2tsup: :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

Allan at Wallan
30th August 2007, 10:27 AM
Very nice Sean and pleased to see you
put the log to good use.

Now I will wait to see how some of the
other blokes from Ern's Turnfest have
turned their log.

Well done:2tsup:

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

ticklingmedusa
30th August 2007, 12:24 PM
Nicely done, i like the diagonal orientation of the grain.
Just curious, is someone growing that timber there or is it an import?
tm

Calm
30th August 2007, 03:37 PM
really top job on the bowl:2tsup: :2tsup: looks great.

Pity the same couldnt be said about the jokes from the same supplier!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

ss_11000
30th August 2007, 04:48 PM
brilliant work sean:clap:

Allan at Wallan
30th August 2007, 06:01 PM
Responses:

"Tickling Medusa" --- The Osage Orange comes from "somewhere"
near my local area of Wallan Victoria. Understandably I have not
revealed the location to my fellow woodworkers. However I have
given a couple of bits away (at Ern's Turnfest) recently. Scooter
(Sean) was one of those recipients plus another couple of attendees
and I posted one to Bdar (Darren). Hopefully in time I will see
some nice work within the forum.

"Calm" (David) --- Gee, you are a hard man to please. :D
Just for that I have placed another joke on the forum

Allan_____________________________________________

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

scooter
30th August 2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, all.

I'm a real fan of the hotmelt glue chucking, Vern, I can't remember where the glue came from but it does seem to be pretty strong, to withstand my abuse. :D The sticks are longer than most I have seen, about a foot I think. I just take shavings off with a pocket knife & drop them on the hot puck.

The bark seems to be well anchored, GV, I didn't have to do anything to keep it that way.

Meant to give dimensions, it's about 6" long by 4" wide by about 3 1/2" high. Wall thickness about 3/16"-1/4".

Not sure how dry the log was, it cut really nicely though & the bowl hasn't moved much since completion about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

Cheers...................Sean

thefixer
30th August 2007, 11:13 PM
If anyone is interested , we use the yellow hot melt glue a lot where I work. It is much much stronger than the clear/translucent glue sticks and far more adhesive. Also has a longer setting time which gives more time to align things before it sets.
PM me if you want to know where it is purchased from and I will find out tomorrow.

Cheers
Shorty

rsser
6th September 2007, 03:43 PM
Hey Sean,

That's come up well ... a striking piece.

A scalloped NE bowl readily shows off an uneven thickness wall and it looks like you got this pretty evenly cooked.

I'm inspired to have a shot at my gift from Allan. Will split it, drill a hole in the bark side with a Forstner bit, and use a chuck with pin jaws for turning the outside. Will prob. tenon the base and at the end clean it up with a jam chuck drive.

Good to hear it's stable. Hope the colour is too.

scooter
6th September 2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks Ern, good luck with your piece :)