PDA

View Full Version : PLease help

anderspv
30th August 2007, 11:01 AM
Hello all I am new to these forums and faily new to woodworking. I was wondering if you all could help me with a question that i have. I have a small one way table top lathe and would like to upgrade. Some of the larger lathes that i am looking at have a REVERSE on them. Can anyone tell me what good reverse is on a lathe and would you recomend a new lathe that has it or not. Please any help would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance
Paul Anderson
NJ Shore USA

I have a Jet Mini vareible speed lathe.

arose62
30th August 2007, 11:15 AM
Some folks like to reverse the direction when they change a grit when sanding - they feel it helps to get a slightly better finish.

Also, when hollowing, if the head doesn't swivel, running the lathe in reverse allows you to turn without having to lean across the lathe bed.

My lathe doesn't have a reverse, and I've never tried one which does.

If the lathe does have a reverse, make sure any chucks you use have some extra safety device so that they don't unscrew when the lathe reverses!

Cheers,
Andrew

wheelinround
30th August 2007, 11:26 AM
Hi Paul and welcome

I am still learning my self and this is the best place to learn

What type of lathe is it you have

I have a Jet Mini vareible speed which I recently found can have an addaption fitted to switch it to operate in reverse http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/RESOURCES/Reversing%20Switch%20for%20Variable%20Speed%20Jet%20Mini%20Lathe.pdf

lubbing5cherubs
30th August 2007, 11:50 AM
the new nova 16-24/44 (i think there the right number) They have reverse spin head it great lathe. I love mine very much
bye Toni

BANNED
30th August 2007, 04:13 PM
Hi anderspv,

Is my believe that any lathe with a reverse option, is a good thing. There are many reasons why (some already mentioned), I'm certain you will find some applications for it, yourself.:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs-"the new nova 16-24/44 (i think there the right number) They have reverse spin head it great lathe. I love mine very much bye Toni"
I can understand why you love your 1624-44 so much, I got one myself!:D

Cheers
GV