PDA

View Full Version : Long Tool Rest

Richard Findley
31st August 2007, 09:08 AM
Hi Guys,

Thought some of you might be interested in the long tool rest I've made to help me when turning long thin stuff. I've recently been making a lot of walking canes for a customer and this has come in very handy!!:2tsup:

The rest is made of English Oak because it's hard and this piece was also free... which is always a bonus:U . Any hard wood would do the job though I'm sure.

Cheers,

Richard

wheelinround
31st August 2007, 09:24 AM
:2tsup: Woodn you know it designed by an Englishman a simple cheap idea

I guess with that there is no flex in between supports

Richard Findley
31st August 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi wheelinround,

No flex, it's dead sturdy and there's hardly a mark on it and I've turned 20+ canes on it already:oo: !!

Richard:2tsup:

wheelinround
31st August 2007, 09:30 AM
So you've given it a canning then :D:D

Have to put an order in for one I will .............:rolleyes: maybe two one for me cousin in Dipton

Frank&Earnest
31st August 2007, 11:33 AM
An innovative home made device for a Jet lathe, and a Vernier caliper resting on it. I have found a kindred spirit at last!:)

Congratulations and best wishes for your future problem solving, I look forward to learning from your ideas.

rsser
3rd September 2007, 07:43 PM
Nifty, Richard.

Thanks for the post.

BernieP
3rd September 2007, 09:46 PM
G'Day Richard

Thanks for the post, consider idea stored away.

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
4th September 2007, 02:21 AM
Never woulda thought of clamping the far end to the tailstock. First consideration would have been to buy an extra banjo ($$$). Thanks for posting.

Joe

laurie ann
4th September 2007, 02:45 AM
you know thats a killer idea.......thanks. even topping it with a strip of steel would work.

laurie

Alastair
4th September 2007, 10:13 AM
Just a thought.

In woodturning course at TAFE, we were advised to put wooden "props" under the ends when using the long (single post) toolrest to prevent flex. Nothing to prevent whacking in a centre "prop" here if flex should be a problem.

regards