PDA

View Full Version : Timer Floor Leveling + Kitchen Reno

Alchemist
23rd September 2003, 02:25 PM
G'day,

First of all - this is a great forum, I've picked up heaps of tips in the last few months.

Okay so here is the problem. I have a standard weatherboard house in Perth (old war home I've been told) and the kitchen is on what was the back porch with a fibro extension. Due to circumstance I no longer live in Perth and want to rent the place out. So I have been doing it up a little and need to fix up the kitchen.

So the floor in this area is uneven - any tips on how to even it up before putting down masonite and a vinyl floor? I'm not a rich man (especially at the moment with rent and a mortgage to pay) so I need to spend as little cash as possible.

I also want to put in new or decent secondhand cupboards. I've checked out secondhand kitchens but they are always too big. I've also thought about flatpacks, but this adds up alot. What I have thought about is buying cupboards from Bunnings for $100-200 each with doors and a thin white melamine top and maybe replacing the top with timer tops? Any ideas on this?

I appreciate any help, comments.

Nick.

Sturdee
23rd September 2003, 05:31 PM
If you want a cheap fix you may get away with nailing levelling strips onto the floor and then laying down sheet flooring like yellow tongue. This will save using masonite as well.

If you buy prefab cabinets from Bunnings and want a good looking bench top, checkout if IKEA still sells benchtops. I bought these about 10 years ago and they are still in excellent condition.
Just screw them onto the cupboard from the inside.

Goodluck,

Peter

Justin
23rd September 2003, 08:22 PM
Just a suggestion, perhaps you should think about putting down cement sheet and tiling over the top. It'd be a lot more durable than lino, and maybe you could use some kind of compound under the cement sheet to level it up (tile adhesive, silicone, liquid nails etc???)

I've also been told by a tiling shop that some brands of tile adhesive let you stick the tiles directly to floorboards. Theoretically you could level out differences in the floorboards by using a large size comb to apply the adhesive.

I guess you'd have to look at it all from a cost/benefits perspective.

Cheers,

Justin.