PDA

View Full Version : Securing a shipping container

Pulpo
23rd September 2003, 03:56 PM
I have a shipping container that needs to be more secure.

I have a barrel lock on it so no bolt cutters can cut the padlock.

The barrel lock over laps the two doors.

However the locks over the handles are exposed and removed with bolt cutters.

The handles can then be undone to open both doors slightly, which is enough to push the very heavy doors in and out to break the padlock behind the barrel.

All barrel locks I have seen on shipping containers appear to be the same and are open to this vulnerability.

The handles need to be locked as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pulpo

DaveInOz
23rd September 2003, 04:35 PM
Have a look for a suitable shape lock in a motorcycle shop - they are expensive but very strong.

Another idea would be to put a bolt on one door that drops into the floor (like a gate), this would minimise teh swing they get.

fxst
23rd September 2003, 10:08 PM
Pulpo old son its horses for courses if u need security go straight to a reputable locksmith and explain the problem u have and if he knows his locks he should be up with an straight answer
There's a great range of Abus padlocks which is probably the largest range out and in my opinion ( Locksmith but retired now)the best and until I sold the business in june my biggest seller
They tend to wreck boltcutters too
Pete
PS dont go cheap
PPS as dave suggested lock 1 door internally and then the overlapping 1 to save on padlocks

journeyman Mick
26th September 2003, 12:57 AM
Pulpo, you can increase the security of the handles by making a shroud that covers the locks so as to make bolt cutter access impossible. I had to organise this on a job once. All the shrouds were slightly different as the handles vary somewhat. You may need to spend a bit of time experimenting with card and scissors to get it to work right. Good luck,

Mick

Iain
26th September 2003, 08:52 AM
Ingersoll used to make a hooded (?) lock where the 'U' bit was not exposed, very expensive as I recall but good.

Pulpo
26th September 2003, 08:24 PM
Many thanks

A couple of sliding bolts on the inside of the second door will be done.

I will be buying a high quality lock for the handle.

Trying to build a shroud around the lock handle will be interesting I'm no where near as innovative as Mick though

I'm might have to redesign the entire lock handle for placing a shroud.

I will look for the lock that covers the U section.

I may even put an internal lock like a roller door but the rods will slide vertical and be stronger.

And if that fails have an electric door, with a few thousand volts.

Many thanks for all suggestions

Hopefully the Bast..ds will stay out.

Cheers

Pulpo

fxst
26th September 2003, 09:50 PM
Pulpo I forgot a suitable lock is a 'Bloklok'
very effective .
Also you can get a good shroud (steel) made at a fabrication works ...they should know what you need if they have containers as well.
Peter:)