PDA

View Full Version : allen key for nova chuck

lubbing5cherubs
2nd September 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi Can anyone tell me to go and buy an allen key for my nova chuck. What size would I buy? I just got a jam chuck and some pin chuck but during the shift I lost the allen key. What size would I ahve to buy. I know for you man this is probably a normal question but I am unsure
bye Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd September 2007, 09:07 PM
I'd look at asking Jim Carroll what a replacement would cost, assuming he can get 'em seperate.

I can go and measure mine for you if you want, but the end is specially profiled so that you can use it at an angle. Unless you want to sit there and grind an allen key to shape, it wouldn't be the same.

Big Shed
2nd September 2007, 09:31 PM
Skew, I don't have a Nova chuck (give me time, birthday coming up!) but do you mean those Allen keys with the little ball on the end? If so you can buy those in sets, even Bunnies stock them.

scooter
2nd September 2007, 09:40 PM
Same here, I guess you could use a standard allen key & make up a handle for it, but as Andy said you would lose the ability to angle the stock item.

You could maybe buy a ball end allen key & do the same thing to replicate the standard item, for the amount you use it though I reckon I'd source the real thing.

Edit: great minds think alike :D

Cheers......................Sean

scooter
2nd September 2007, 09:59 PM
Just ducked out & measured mine, 8mm.

Wouldn't be too hard to make, on reflection, if the genuine article was a fair bit dearer than a ball end allen key in a reputable brand.

Cheers.......................Sean

lubbing5cherubs
2nd September 2007, 10:37 PM
Oh thanks Guys I did not realise they were different. I thought an allen keys an allen key....Ok too technical. I will email Jim in the morning. thank you
Toni

robyn2839
3rd September 2007, 08:52 AM
i ground the ball thingy off mine and found it a lot batter to use , so a standard alan key would be ok. bob

Jim Carroll
3rd September 2007, 08:58 AM
Toni they are available and we do have stock.

rsser
3rd September 2007, 09:25 AM
You can also get cheap sets of T handled allan keys off ebay ... useful for a range of work.

Hickory
3rd September 2007, 11:43 AM
I don't have one, wish I did.... but??? doesn't the Nova Chuck use a geared wrench similar to a Jacobs chuck? Or am I off here? Perhaps you are refering to the allen wrench for the jaws? then isn't it the same ole same ole allen wrench. I may be corn fused . enlighten my simple mind, please. :?

DJ’s Timber
3rd September 2007, 11:56 AM
I don't have one, wish I did.... but??? doesn't the Nova Chuck use a geared wrench similar to a Jacobs chuck? Or am I off here? Perhaps you are refering to the allen wrench for the jaws? then isn't it the same ole same ole allen wrench. I may be corn fused . enlighten my simple mind, please. :?
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/G3/Images/G3web1.jpghttp://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/SuperNova2/Images/SuperNova2%20with%2050mm%20Jaws2_web.jpg

Hickory, Toni is referring to the Supernova which uses the allen T-bar whilst you're referring to the G3 which uses the geared wrench

Hickory
3rd September 2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/G3/Images/G3web1.jpghttp://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/SuperNova2/Images/SuperNova2%20with%2050mm%20Jaws2_web.jpg

Hickory, Toni is referring to the Supernova which uses the allen T-bar whilst you're referring to the G3 which uses the geared wrench

Ahhh...Soooo... I be more better informed now. Thanks.

Sprog
3rd September 2007, 01:15 PM

The Supernova2 uses the t bar allen key wrench. The Supernaova had a geared wrench along with the G3

lubbing5cherubs
3rd September 2007, 06:54 PM
sorry for the confusion. I have the big T bar I am after the one that does to undo the jaws that you can change around. Is this a normal allen key?
Toni

rsser
3rd September 2007, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you mean the jaws Toni? Two screws on each?

If so, yeah, standard small T-handled key will do ... don't have the size but I'm sure others will advise.

DJ’s Timber
3rd September 2007, 07:06 PM
sorry for the confusion. I have the big T bar I am after the one that does to undo the front plates (I know not technical name) that you can change around. Is this a normal allen key?
Toni

Yes a standard allen key will do the job. 4mm is the size your after

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd September 2007, 07:29 PM
:doh: Yup. 4mm.

joe greiner
4th September 2007, 01:32 AM
All very nice. BUT, a wee bit of dust in such small sockets prevents full purchase of the driver, and the socket becomes rounded in short order; then hard to tighten adequately. I replaced all the screws in my Griz (very similar to Supernova) with Phillips-head countersunk machine screws and haven't looked back.

Joe

lubbing5cherubs
4th September 2007, 08:26 AM
thank you hubby got home last night and he was able to get it from bunnies for me. thank you very much.
Toni

Hickory
4th September 2007, 11:22 AM
I have a set of T-handled Allen wrenches both SAE and Metric. They are handier than a shirt pocket. Just get a set that includes the size you need and the rest will be a bonus. (An asset to your shop) :2tsup: