PDA

View Full Version : GMC Chuck

funkychicken
2nd September 2007, 09:15 PM
Went into the new huge (14000m2) Bunnies today and what did I see but a GMC four jaw chuck. Seeing as how it was only $36 I thought I'd grab it.

Problem One: It's no self centering. Great if you want to make eccentric stuff, but sucky for me.

Problem Two: Some jaws will move around easily, others slide like they're welded in place.

Gonna give it a proper roadtest with my new cedar bowl.

Anyone else used them?

scooter
2nd September 2007, 09:38 PM
Gday Funky, the GMC chuck is essentially a metalworking chuck as I understand it.

The lack of self centring would be a pain, as would the small contact area that that jaw type would provide.

Could you possibly attach "sub-jaws" to the existing jaws to make up jaws with a dovetail grip, to enable a better grip on the wood?

I think Stuart has this chuck, maybe drop him a msg.

Cheers.....................Sean

funkychicken
2nd September 2007, 10:35 PM
I could probably epoxy some sub-jaws on

weisyboy
3rd September 2007, 12:53 PM
i had the same problem with the no self centering thing and there is heaps of play in it it is impoable to get anything centred.

i got so anoyed with myny it went flying out the fron of the shop and is down the hill somewere.

p.s. i payed $26 for mine:U :~ :C

thefixer
3rd September 2007, 09:54 PM
i had the same problem with the no self centering thing and there is heaps of play in it it is impoable to get anything centred.

i got so anoyed with myny it went flying out the fron of the shop and is down the hill somewere.

p.s. i payed $26 for mine:U :~ :C

Hmmmm. Paid $50 for mine. It came to a similar timely end though.
My advice for what its worth: Ditch the GMC and get a lathe that you can easily buy accessories for.

Twinnie
3rd September 2007, 10:17 PM
i used to sell them (should i be admitting to that?), at first i thought i know what that is it's a turning chuck... then i had a play with it and thought nope it can't be it's too rubbish. turns out i was right on both accounts. Matt

funkychicken
3rd September 2007, 10:36 PM
Ah, you're saying I should return it while I still can.

Here's an Idea; get one of the engineering types to make a GMC thread - MT adapter. That'd work.

Yeah paid $60 for one just like it (no box), but returned it because it didn't fit.