PDA

View Full Version : Tanner thicknesser

rev
23rd September 2003, 11:18 PM
I have a chance to buy a Tanner thicknesser, 12 inch 3 phase in poor condition, though it is working and therefore I presume able to be refurbished (see the attached photo which is the only one I can get). Unfortunately I cannot get to see the item myself before I need to make an offer if I am interested and the person selling it has no idea of motor output, number of blades in the cutter, depth of stock it will take etc. I don’t know much about Tanner machines but I am told this one was made in NZ and dates from the late 60’s to early 70’s and hasn’t been used for a few years. To suit my needs I will need to install a single phase motor, 2 or 3 horse power, involving additional expense.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the fair value of this machine please?
Cheers,
Rev

John Saxton
23rd September 2003, 11:39 PM
Hi Rev,Tanner used to manufacture out of Auckland in one of the Southern Suburbs I went there way back in the early 90's when on holiday to check them out so don't know whether they're still in existence let alone a web-site.
This one won't move too much when you put a decent piece of timber thru it.
I have been to a few machinery auctions and tho I'm no expert and without a lot of detail about the planer I'd hazard a guess in the vicinity of $500 .See where you go from there.
What people have to remember is that these old machines manage to retain some value even tho they're getting old.
One thing it's solid but whether any parts are still available on an old but solid machine remains questionable.

My own personal view of course but thats where I'd roughly set my sights.

Cheers & Good Luck :)

gatiep
25th September 2003, 12:33 AM
Well that is shurely built like a solid brick .......house.
Probably not too much that can go wrong bar for bearings and blades. Those machines were built to last and last.
Unseen and with a 3 phase motor I wouldn't offer more than $250. Take a chance, at that price it will be hard to loose.

Have fun......................keep turning