PDA

View Full Version : wet sanding

DWFII
24th September 2003, 01:52 PM
hello,

I'm new to the forum and pretty much a tyro at woodturning, but I read somewhere or the other that some folks like to sand a turned piece with oil and wet/dry paper. Supposedly this raises the grain slightly (which then sands off nicely) and combined with the dust the oil fills in any open pores in the wood. I feel like I might need something of the sort with some Texas mesquite I'm currently turning. Any advice, yea or nay, or any comments on this technique would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Baz
24th September 2003, 09:26 PM
I wet sand, normal sanding method up to 800 grit, decrease speed and wet bowl with oil (Organoil) and sand with 1200 wet & dry, keep applying oil to get a nice slurry then power sand with a piece of 1500 Webrax. Increase speed and dry using a soft dry cloth. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Barry
PS. Be warned you will spray oil around your workshop.

DWFII
24th September 2003, 11:08 PM
Baz,

Thank you for your reply. If I may...? What is Organoil? Would something like Tung or even linseed oil work? What is Webrax? Is it that non-woven steel wool substitute?

Can you friction polish and shellac a piece after using this technique?

thanks again...

Baz
25th September 2003, 10:09 PM
DWF11, Organoil is tung oil with additives blended here in Australia, several different types. Webrax is a 3M(I think) product, looks like scotchbrite, a woven plastic scouring pad, available in 3 different grades, 800, 1200 and 1500. Hope this makes sense.
Cheers
Barry

DWFII
25th September 2003, 10:48 PM
Baz,

Thanks again. Pretty much what I figured. I'll try wet sanding with a bit of tung oil and get some of the sanding pads like you are talking about.

I appreciate the help.