PDA

View Full Version : Drying Green Birch

nfld steve
4th September 2007, 10:10 PM
Hi guys,I live in Newfoundland,Canada,and we don't have alot of good turning woods to choose from.
This year though we bought 16 cords of birch firewood,some beautifull logs!
I've made some little goblets and vases from it green,but I was wondering about putting some up for a few months to dry for some bowls,etc.
My basement is pretty dry,but I read on another post about soaking in soapy water?
I've also tried the alcohol method,but I was trying to find a way to prepare some rough blanks of various sizes,and put them away and forget about them till the winter or when ever.
Anyone got any drying advice,for me,who'll try my best to leave the wood alone for a few months,lol ?
Thanks guys,Steve
PS:I love reading your site when I get time.
Yes,my wood turning addiction is "full blown"!!lol.I used to do intarsia with exotics,but this turning stuff is pretty powerfull stuff,lol.
Steve.

Frank&Earnest
5th September 2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Steve. You will find a lot of advice on drying wood just by searching this forum. Maybe not a lot specifically on birch, given that it is Australian based. My only experience with silver birch has been felling two mature ones in my garden and just stacking the logs in the shed. Been there for about 5 years now without any protective coating and they seem to be remarkably stable. The climate here is probably much dryer than there, so my guess is that you will not have a lot of troubles.

anderspv
5th September 2007, 07:01 AM
I live in North America and I use the Dave Smith method. I have turned alot of Birch and this works the best. I use Denatured Alcohol. I can turn a nice bowl blank, put it in the alcohol an use it the next weekend. Here is the link to the article http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml .

I never have to wait to turn my favorite wodds anymore. I use it on Oak, Locust, Birch, Cherry, Maple, and Olive. And have never had any of my bowls crack or warp after the final Turning and finishing.

rsser
5th September 2007, 04:33 PM
Welcome Steve.

My experience is similar to F&E's.

If it's mature Silver Birch you should find it very stable if you leave lumps to dry out of doors; it will dry without end sealing or other treatment, and will also do nicely when fully turned as a bowl while green provided you do it in one session.

Post some pics of your work.

Added: the stuff will also spalt well, but slowly. Rough turn a bowl, get some yoghurt that's turned gray/green furry in the fridge, paint on liberally, and wrap loosely in plastic. Leave for about 6 months in a warm place. Check periodically to see it's still damp ... with peg ong gnose.

nfld steve
5th September 2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys.I've tied the alcohol method,and it works good for me too.And lately I turned some green goblets and a bowl,and they dried really cool,chaged shape alittle.
I love the yogurt idea!!I'm going to try that for sure.I love spalted woods,and wierd grain and stuff!
Thanks alot guys.
Have a great day,Steve.:2tsup:

Kea5
9th September 2007, 12:35 AM
I live in North America and I use the Dave Smith method. I have turned alot of Birch and this works the best. I use Denatured Alcohol. I can turn a nice bowl blank, put it in the alcohol an use it the next weekend. Here is the link to the article http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_473.shtml .

I never have to wait to turn my favorite wodds anymore. I use it on Oak, Locust, Birch, Cherry, Maple, and Olive. And have never had any of my bowls crack or warp after the final Turning and finishing.

Awesome info there mate. I'll definitely be trying that out.

thanks.