PDA

View Full Version : bed too short

robyn2839
6th September 2007, 01:26 PM
rescued four legs from the tip a couple of months ago. thought i would turn them into a small hall stand/table, but had to turn the ends . only thing was lathe too short by about 300ml, problem solved,bit scary turning though.turned out good in the end. bob

wheelinround
6th September 2007, 01:40 PM
:o bet you went surfin when younger

walked out past nose of board n back

great find great work

rsser
6th September 2007, 02:47 PM
'Needs must when the devil drives' .... nice driving ;-}

TTIT
6th September 2007, 03:33 PM
Nothin' quite like a bit of aussie ingenuity :2tsup: Good stuff Bob. Like the table too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th September 2007, 04:28 PM
That is soooo my shed! :D

Although I'm lucky, in that I have two MC-900's... so I just turn the tailstock around on one and remove it from t'other, then position 'em about the right distance apart.

Nice bit of work thinking up the mount!

munruben
6th September 2007, 04:59 PM
Nice work:2tsup:

RETIRED
6th September 2007, 06:01 PM
I just move the tailstock.:rolleyes: :wink: :D

weisyboy
6th September 2007, 06:57 PM
captin snooz should be able to fix that up.

nice job.
i extended mine to make a jo the other day it is bench mounted so it made it easy.

you have done a mighty good job of that thow mutch better than mine:C .

hughie
6th September 2007, 07:06 PM
:D -----------:2tsup: good one!

Harry72
6th September 2007, 07:24 PM
Mission accomplished!

ss_11000
6th September 2007, 10:29 PM
Although I'm lucky, in that I have two MC-900's... so I just turn the tailstock around on one and remove it from t'other, then position 'em about the right distance apart.

:o thats so cool:2tsup:

nice table mate and good thinking:2tsup:

thefixer
7th September 2007, 09:04 PM
I just move the tailstock.:rolleyes: :wink: :D

Dunno if everyone is familiar with your lathe , but that was bloody funny:D :D :D

RETIRED
9th September 2007, 05:03 PM
I am sorry, I just couldn't resist it.:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th September 2007, 05:39 PM
I vaguely remember seeing a site where a BIG old lathe was set up on a narrow gauge railway. The steam-driven headstock was basically just a small, modified welsh pony loco and the tailstock was mounted on it's own bogey.

They'd just pull up on site, uncouple the tailstock and roll it down the line, ready to do some sized turning...

I don't s'pose anyone knows the lathe I'm talking about or a related URL?

joe greiner
10th September 2007, 12:07 AM
I vaguely remember seeing a site where a BIG old lathe was set up on a narrow gauge railway. The steam-driven headstock was basically just a small, modified welsh pony loco and the tailstock was mounted on it's own bogey.

They'd just pull up on site, uncouple the tailstock and roll it down the line, ready to do some sized turning...

I don't s'pose anyone knows the lathe I'm talking about or a related URL?

Google disappointed me on this one; probably need better keywords. I reckon there'd be an intermediate carriage for the tool rest. The concept seems to offer lots of possibilities, though. Hmmm; perhaps also a woodturner's chair on the intermediate carriage to lower the height of the apparatus.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th September 2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I've had no success googling iteither.

I used to be a narrow gauge freak, which has rather confused the issue... so many railways I vaguely remember and more bookmarked URLs than I'd care to wade through. :rolleyes:

I would've sworn it was an american set up, but a 4-4-0 doesn't jibe with my memory... which insists 'twas a welsh pony loco and the trucks were the small Ffestiniog type. That'd put it in the UK, which also doesn't "feel right." :~

I wish I could remember more or at least think of some more appropriate keywords.