PDA

View Full Version : Switching Jaws

OGYT
6th September 2007, 04:42 PM
Cheers, all.
I've been out of pocket for a while. But I'm back now, and maybe I'll get to stay for a while.
I have a question that maybe someone can answer on this forum.
Will the SuperNova2 Jaws interchange with the jaws from any other manufacturer? :?
The reason I'm asking is this:
My lathe spindle thread is M33x3.5. I have two SN2 chucks, but they were ordered with thread adapters for Old Griz.:(
In order to use my chucks on the M33 spindle, I bought a spindle adapter that would convert the M33 to 1-1/4x8tpi. The spindle adapter causes a bit too much runout for my liking, but I've put up with it for a couple of years now.:rolleyes:
When I got the little Vicmarc VL100, I found out what it was like to turn on a lathe without any runout:D ... I can reverse a piece to finish the bottom and not have any slop in it... and now I don't want to go back to the other lathe. I know I'm going to have to buy a different chuck to get one with the M33 threads, but I'd like to get one that my SN2 jaws will fit, and I'm tryin' to get out as cheaply as I can...

Gra
6th September 2007, 04:45 PM
There is one they advertise in the UK that will supposedly take everyones jaws, they even have a picture if it fitted with four different manufacturers jaws (With a disclaimer, not to use it like this).

R.B.
6th September 2007, 04:56 PM
m33 x 3.5 inserts for the sn2 go for about $30.. wouldn't that solve the problem?

RETIRED
6th September 2007, 05:59 PM
If I read you right Al, you had to have an adaptor made to convert the M33 thread to 11/4"?

Discard the adaptor and use the M33 thread direct.

Correct me if I misunderstood.

RP has the answer anyway, buy a new insert.

arose62
6th September 2007, 05:59 PM
R.B beat me to it.

Am I missing something - wouldn't you just buy the right adapter?

Cheers,
Andrew

rsser
6th September 2007, 06:37 PM
If it's just (!) a matter of switching jaws between VM and Nova (Teknatool) chucks, there is an adaptor that works one way, Al, and sorry, I can't remember which. Requires tapping.

If memory serves, I saw it on www.gpw.au.com (http://www.gpw.au.com)

Not recommended by Teknatool btw, of course.

robyn2839
6th September 2007, 08:51 PM
i got a set of adaptors from vermec in redcliff ,they make it possible to use vicmarc jaws on my sn2 and my g3 no tapping required 20 something bucks.bob

rsser
7th September 2007, 01:31 PM
... pics would be good Bob.

They would be of interest to a lot of us I would think.

Added: no mention on their website; have sent an email.

hughie
7th September 2007, 03:48 PM
Al, It maybe that your chuck thread is not 33x3.5mm . Some of the the chucks made for the US market have imperial threads...gggrh:C :U

But check here on the link to determine which way you go

http://teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Identifying%20Lathe%20Spindle%20Thread.pdf

OGYT
8th September 2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses. First off:
Ern and Robyn: Ern, thanks for the link. Gary Pye has the Nova to Vicmarc adapter for $55AUD. I've never seen it anywhere in the US. This was a curiosity thing for me. Thanks Ern, I've wondered if any other jaws would fit my SN2s, now I know... I think. :D Now I'd like to know if my SN2 jaws will fit some other Chuck. I wonder if there is a Vicmarc to Nova Adapter???

RB and Arose62: I can't find an insert for the SN2s that fit M33x3.5 threads. Teknatool doesn't list one... I think they say in order for your SN2s to have M33 threads, you have to special order them threaded that way. The way I understand it, the SN2s body thread size, which the insert screws into, is so close to the M33 that they can't make an insert that thin. Seriously, if you know of one, let me know where to purchase, please.

: My spindle is M33x3.5. The chuck isn't. I couldn't find an insert to adapt my SN2s to the M33 threads, so I bought the closest thing... an insert with 1-1/4x8 threads. Then, to get it to fit, I had to get an M33 to 1-1/4 spindle adapter. That's where I get the runout. I'd rather not have to use a Spindle adapter, and I'm trying hard not to have to buy two new chucks, special order. I may have to go ahead and use a Spindle Adapter anyway. :(

Hughie: Thanks for that .pdf link. That tells me that I have to have the chuck body threaded to M33 when purchased. I'm curious now if they can rethread the old chuck bodies to M33. I'll send Teknatool an email and ask them.

I hate runout! :(

rsser
8th September 2007, 08:37 AM
Vermec might do a custom insert for you Al.

http://vermec.tripod.com/id1.html

arose62
8th September 2007, 09:34 AM
Oops! Sorry OGYT, should have checked all the details before firing off. Looks like the chuck has to have the M33 machined in directly.

Simpler to change lathes??:D

Seems there's a market for either blank jaw slides for the Teknatool range, to be drilled in your own pattern, or for aftermarket jaw slides pre-drilled.

Cheers,
Andrew

R.B.
8th September 2007, 10:15 AM
bah.. I've been reading m33 as M30:doh:

Ima gonna back ot of the room slowly.

cheers.

OGYT
8th September 2007, 01:49 PM
No worries, Gents. :)

Ern, I think I'll send 'em an email. Been sendin' a lot of 'em of late.

rsser
8th September 2007, 06:17 PM
Let us know how you go Al.

FWIW I've not found Teknatool all that responsive to user needs or suggestions.

( ... hate the rounded over edges on their jaws; they reduce the bite something chronic; didn't get any reply to my email on this but maybe that's just me.)

(Anyone out there willing to mill the top off four of their 75mm bowl jaws for me?).

hughie
9th September 2007, 01:20 AM
(Anyone out there willing to mill the top off four of their 75mm bowl jaws for me?).

Ern
Hmmm food for thought will have to have a look at mine. Might be able to turn the jaws down whilst still mounted on the chuck. Will get back to you on that one.

Grumpy John
9th September 2007, 08:56 AM

Ern
I'll have a look at 'em at the turnfest next Sunday. might be able to slot them in after I've finished 's centres

Cheers
GJ

rsser
9th September 2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys :)

scooter
9th September 2007, 11:20 AM
Noticed the same, Ern, the 50mm jaws on my SN2 are noticeably different to the sharp lip on 's older Nova chuck 50mm jaws

arose62
9th September 2007, 11:59 AM
I also have a Teknatool faceplate ring which happily fits my old SN chuck, but won't go on the SN2.

rsser
9th September 2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah.

If anyone's got an old spare set of 50mm jaws with the 'sharp' top edges I'd be interested.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th September 2007, 03:45 PM
I was wondering what you blokes'd been sniffing... or whether you'd been careless parting off. Round lip?

But a mate just dropped in with his brand new SN2, still in the box, (a little brag session :) ) and I see what you mean. Mine aren't like that. [Phew!] My faceplate rings fit quite nicely on 'em, thank you very much.

Sorry Ern... mine're not for swap/sale. :wink:

I wonder why the heck they changed 'em? I wouldn't think they'd be any cheaper to manufacture?

wheelinround
9th September 2007, 04:04 PM
maybe a few pics might help us observers

rsser
9th September 2007, 04:04 PM
No Skew, they wouldn't be cheaper to make.

Lyn Mangiamelli commented negatively on the same issue in his run-down on the 75mm bowl jaws.

I guess the intention was to avoid dig-in marks but I have to say that happens at the expense of grip. Those jaws on the Titan chuck should be enough to hold back an MCG crowd but they don't :doh:

They're btw just arrissed; on the spigot jaws you have a bl**dy bevel on the outside and rounding over on the inside. !!*&#** ... if they're going to do knock-off of the VM shark jaws they should get it right :~

hughie
9th September 2007, 04:49 PM
if they're going to do knock-off of the VM shark jaws they should get it right :~

Agreed!

I 'll be having a go at my 50mm jaws this week, should not be much of a job.

ps Sori Al we seemed to have hijacked your thread...:U

BernieP
9th September 2007, 04:51 PM
G'Day Ern

What do you mean sharper outer edges, dovetail both sides?

Cheers
Bernie

rsser
9th September 2007, 07:08 PM
Yep.

BernieP
9th September 2007, 07:24 PM
G'Day Ern

Pm me if you want a set

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
10th September 2007, 04:00 PM
No worries on the hijack, Mates.
I'm curiously reading all these posts about the rounded over lips. I haven't noticed mine having that problem, but I'm gonna look close tomorrow.
I'm currently trying to work a swap with a tech rep for two chucks that are threaded to M33x3.5. I'll let you know how it goes.

Haven't got an answer from a couple of emails yet... maybe tomorrow.

I think with some good HSS tools, and a slow lathe speed, you could turn the jaws down pretty easy. DAMHIKT, but the jaws are much softer than HSS. :D

robyn2839
10th September 2007, 04:56 PM
here are basically what i got to use vicmarc jaws on my sn/2 and g3 al that is required are slightly longer screws/ they cost me i think 28 bucks not cheap but cheaper than jaws.bob
sorry about the pics first is 1 75 vikky jaw on my sn/2 with the others on to show comparison , the second is the adaptors themselves , hope this helps. bob

rsser
10th September 2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Bob.

Vermec replied to an email saying the adaptors are for Vicmarc 90/100 jaws to be fitted to 'Bonham Nova' chucks.

I take it you didn't have to do any drilling or tapping? $28 sounds a lot for longer screws only .... ? [Edit; sorry, didn't look at 2nd pic; so it's four adaptors plus screws].

Al, yeah, I've sliced some shavings off Vicmarc medium tensile jaws with HSS steel ... eek!

rsser
10th September 2007, 05:42 PM
latest from Vermec:

You would need to drill the Vicmarc Jaws as the Teknatool Bonham and Nova need 6mm holes to mount but the Vicmarc only have 5mm so you need to drill the jaws out to 6mm.

$25 + postage

So pretty much we're talking one way transfer only?

hughie
10th September 2007, 05:46 PM
Ern,

Jaws machined, piece of cake quite soft. Lopped around 4mm of the top took longer to set up than do the job. :U

focus a bit out, I've got too much lag time on the shutter it seems...grrrh!

rsser
10th September 2007, 06:59 PM
Good call Hughie.

Jim Carroll
10th September 2007, 09:01 PM
The Supernova chucks have a standard 38mm recess for their inserts.
They can go to the 30 x 3.5mm insert in this chuck.
To go any larger requires a dedicated thread chuck as in your case 33 x 3.5mm which is the european standard.
The vermec adaptors work for the vicmarc to nova exchange but that is all that can be confirmed at the moment. Unsure if grizzly or others may adapt. The screw holes are on the same pitch but the locating ring on the back of the jaws is slightly different.
As indicated the Vicmarc jaws have a 5mm hole so have to be drilled out to 6mm to suit the nova screws.
The vicmarc chucks VM90/100 have a 40mm recess so an adaptor is available for these.

Calm
10th September 2007, 09:10 PM
The vicmarc chucks VM90/100 have a 40mm recess so an adaptor is available for these.

On this basis would it be possible to convert/machine the existing Supernova to a 40mm recess so the right adaptor could be used.

Just a thought

hughie
10th September 2007, 11:03 PM
On this basis would it be possible to convert/machine the existing Supernova to a 40mm recess so the right adaptor could be used.

The biggest thread capability according to Teknatool is 38mm. :C

They have a R Chuck or SNCR that is blank, that can be bored out specifically to the users requirements up m38 max.

Might have to go for a female to male type adaptor. It would most likely need to be made specially as I don't think Teknatool supply such an animal.

rsser
13th September 2007, 01:32 PM
Just to return to the jaw adaptor issue: Vermec claim that while you have to drill out your VM jaws to 6mm to take advantage of their adaptors, they will still be usable on your VM chucks.

PM sent Bernie, thanks.

OGYT
13th September 2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for trying, all of ya, I appreciate it. :)
I've got an answer from Vermec... seems their adapter is the same as the one I have, but it's probably not out of true!!! But it'll cost me an arm and half a leg to get one of 'em.
Still waitin' on the swap I'm tryin' to set up.... who knows???.......
A mate has just sent for the Grizzly Chuck... the Vic jaws are supposed to fit perfectly... no wonder they call it a Vicmarc knockoff.
Nice job on those jaws, Hughie. I found the same about the blank chucks... sure hate to have to buy two new chucks. :(

NeilS
13th September 2007, 08:04 PM
Jim

They can go to the 30 x 3.5mm insert in this chuck.

Do you know if that includes a L/H 30x3.5mm insert, which is needed to be able to use the Supernova chucks outboard on the Woodfast range of lathes?

Thanks

Neil

Jim Carroll
13th September 2007, 10:19 PM
Neil thats a new one.

The outboard on the Woodfasts was always 1" x10tpi LH or an M insert.

Will have to check with woodfast if they have changed to the M30 as there is no readily available insert for that size in left hand.

joe greiner
14th September 2007, 12:27 AM
A mate has just sent for the Grizzly Chuck... the Vic jaws are supposed to fit perfectly... no wonder they call it a Vicmarc knockoff.

Huh? I don't see any metric inserts for Grizzly chucks in their catalog. I thought you had a metric spindle. Or have I just got thrown around too much by this thread?

Joe

rsser
14th September 2007, 08:41 AM
Getting mixed up between chuck jaws and chuck inserts?

OGYT
14th September 2007, 09:23 AM
Huh? I don't see any metric inserts for Grizzly chucks in their catalog. I thought you had a metric spindle. Or have I just got thrown around too much by this thread?Joe

Joe, he sent off for the Grizzly Chuck for his lathe (which was my Old Griz - a model 5979). He found out that the Vicmarc Jaws will fit it.

Now, just to add some more confusion to this thread: :D Another mate says he has the Oneway jumbo jaws (I guess like Nova Cole jaws...for finishing bowl bottoms) and he says they fit on his Nova Midi Chuck. Anyone clarify this?

If one set of Oneway jaws fit the Nova Midi... won't the other Oneway jaws from that same Oneway Chuck fit the Nova Midi also? :?:?:?

rsser
14th September 2007, 04:24 PM
FWIW Al, it seems that Vicmarc supply o/s manufacturers who rebrand the products. AFAIK eg Record chucks in the UK are Vicmarcs.

That's not to say there will be automatic compatibility among all the chuck product lines of course ... heaven forbid it should be that easy.