PDA

View Full Version : Something unusual

La truciolara
11th September 2007, 06:21 AM
Alain Mailland, the well known French wood turner, did a demo on some of his art

He turned a funny piece. To do so he:
<o></o>Turned a sphere<o></o>
Signed very carefully the places where he will turn kind of “Volcano”<o></o>
Put the sphere in a matrix,
Turned the cone of the first volcano and hollowed it<o></o>
Rotated the sphere in order to have the next point perfectly in line with the axel of the lathe
did the second “volcano” and so on<o></o>
At the end he used carving chisel and gouges to take away the wood remaining between the cones of the many volcanoes.<o></o>
<o>

http://www.la-truciolara.com/Forum/Br&#37;C3%A9villeLabir1T.jpg (http://www.la-truciolara.com/Forum/Labi.htm)<o></o></o>

joe greiner
12th September 2007, 12:23 AM
Most interesting, Claude. The "volcano" centres seem to be more irregularly spaced than an icosahedron or such, which adds even more to the mystique. In the last pic of the sequence, one of the holes is larger than the others. Was that to remove the last bit of the interior after hollowing? Otherwise, I'd expect hollowing from the last hole would leave a fragment inside to rattle around. Or maybe several fragments.

Thank you very, very much for posting this.

Joe

La truciolara
12th September 2007, 03:17 AM
Most interesting, Claude. The "volcano" centres seem to be more irregularly spaced than an icosahedron or such, which adds even more to the mystique. In the last pic of the sequence, one of the holes is larger than the others. Was that to remove the last bit of the interior after hollowing? Otherwise, I'd expect hollowing from the last hole would leave a fragment inside to rattle around. Or maybe several fragments.

Thank you very, very much for posting this.

Joe

I must say that Alain Mailland didn't care too much about the regularity of the hole diameters as he had a limited time for his demo. But in this case I am wondering, (i do not remember) but I think it is a dark piece of bark which gives this impression. Personally I think that regular or irregular might be only a question of personal taste. It was impressive to see him turn.

http://www.mailland.fr/
If you do not know him I think it is worth looking at his web site

La truciolara
13th September 2007, 04:20 AM
Joe
By the way...
what is an "icosahedron" ????

joe greiner
13th September 2007, 07:27 AM
From Greek, I think. A regular polyhedron with twenty identical faces, all equilateral triangles. At each vertex, five faces meet. IIRC, the vertices are the centre points of the holes of the Chinese Ball. See, for example, David Springett's book, "Woodturning Wizardry."

Also, with each of the twenty faces further subdivided into equal triangles, projected onto the circumscribing sphere, and with one or more of the twenty faces absent, forms the basis of Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome. The projection onto the sphere renders the resulting smaller spherical triangles UNequal, although there are several axes of symmetry.

Joe

hughie
13th September 2007, 07:46 AM
what is an "icosahedron" ????

Hmm, learn something new every day.

Now how can work that in to my conversation....:U

La truciolara
14th September 2007, 08:43 PM
Thank you Joe.
I'm a little less stupid today... though I guess I have to re read it several time to remember.:U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th September 2007, 09:50 PM
Just thought I'd mention, for the benefit of any other dumbies, I've only just realised that clicking on that first photo "steps through" a few pics of the turning process.

I was wondering what Joe was talking about... :-

Vely interesting!

joe greiner
14th September 2007, 11:05 PM
The only clue that Joe had was the finger/hand cursor on the enlarged pic. Also had the word "seguente" in the callout, which seems to mean "sequence" in Italian.

I got the drift of the woodturning process, but I have NO idea at all how Claude posted the pics.

[Got it. The pics aren't posted. It's a link to Claude's web site.]

Joe

TTIT
14th September 2007, 11:59 PM
.......for the benefit of any other dumbies, .......clicking on that first photo "steps through" a few pics of the turning process.

:doh::doh::doh: and I thought HE had lost the plot!!!:B:B:B Thanks Skew!

hughie
15th September 2007, 01:50 PM

:- I am glad I was not the only one......had me guessing, the iccy hedron thingy was not real help either. :U

Very interesting effect, thanks Claude. It has answered a question on a project I have had in mind for few months now.