PDA

View Full Version : turning alloy

robyn2839
14th September 2007, 10:58 PM
have you ever turned alloy? , very interesting to turn, made a chuck today quite simple really the hardest part was turning the back to make the groove that locates into the chuck ,marked all the lines out first, then turned the face of a bowl blank to get it flat left a little point in the middle,which i put the centre of the alloy over to get it exactly centred( the alloy was still one peice at the time)screwed it to the wooden blank, turned the locator ring for the chuck , then when that was finished i cut it in four ,bolted it onto the chuck , and it was spot on . will go and get the rubbery things tomorrow, $2 cost so far. bob

Toolin Around
14th September 2007, 11:42 PM
Watch out! Once you get into turning ally you'll not look at wood the same way. Depending on the grade it can be turned just like wood. Now if only it came with a grain pattern.

TTIT
15th September 2007, 12:04 AM
Top job Bob :2tsup: How thick is the plate you used?

OGYT
15th September 2007, 11:23 AM
Now that's AWESOME!!! I tried turning it, and couldn't do a very good job. I'm curious about the cutting tool you used. I tried some high-speed-steel, and evidently didn't have the cutting edge shaped right. Chattered and screamed like a banshee (whatever that is). I just wanted to cut my cole jaws down to fit on my little Vic. Ended up using a saber saw with a metal blade, then filed down the edge.
Well done, Bob.

hughie
15th September 2007, 01:14 PM
Bob,

Nice bit of ali turning. Just one question how much clearance have you got between the bed and cole jaws? Looks a might close.

rsser
15th September 2007, 01:30 PM
Shmick.

Now you just need to scribe some lines to make it easier to get all your buttons in at the right diam :p

robyn2839
15th September 2007, 01:40 PM
have scribed lines on the back,the alloy is about 6ml, but sort of high tensile,if you know what i mean, used a v scraper turned like a beauty, and there is about 20 ml clearance from bed. went and got the luggs from vermec ,and have used it already to clean up the bottom of a bowl, fantastic. especially for 20 bucks all up . here is a picture of finished product.bob

rodent
16th September 2007, 02:21 AM
Dont forgetto use kerosine for a cutting lube when turning ally guys , it also gives a better finish .V scraper ? do you mean a spear point chisel .

robyn2839
16th September 2007, 09:20 AM
yeah thats the one, bob