PDA

View Full Version : Jack Planes and eBay

dbuckley
30th September 2003, 02:26 PM
Hello All,

I just recently found these forums while I was looking for some good free workbench plans. ( I still haven't quite found what I'm looking for yet, but that's OK as I'm not ready to build it yet either). :D

Anyway I'm a real amateur wannabe woodworking/carpenter guy. I have some moderate skills and some tools. I also have an uncle on my wife's side who is a real craftsman who learnt 99.9999% of his skills from his father, who is slowly but surely teaching me some stuff when I can get to see him.

I have just had my first go on eBay and bid for a 'cheap as' chinese plane. I dont really expect to get it but that's OK.

The plane was a "Jack" Plane and I was wondering just quickly, without having to look it up in one of the many books I have been given, what is the difference between a block plane and a jack plane and what are their different uses?

Dave

:)

craigb
30th September 2003, 02:47 PM
Hi Dave,

Jack plane aka a Number 5 is used for quickly smoothing a rough piece of timber a "first cut" if you like. Depending on what you were making, you'd then move on to a jointer or Try plane (number 7) or a number 4 (or smoother) for the final finish on a piece.
A block plane is that little one that fits on one hane and is used for planing end grain. I have been led to believe that they were originally invented for preparing butcher's blocks hence the name.

Craig

dbuckley
1st October 2003, 01:24 AM
Coolio,

Thanks heaps for that.

DAVE

:)