PDA

View Full Version : What timber is this?

robutacion
17th September 2007, 04:40 AM
Gentleman/Ladies,

I'm trying to identify if possible, the wood species (some sort of a name) of this fruit bowl. The wood was giving to me to turn this bowl, they don't know what it is. Without going into great troubles, as anyone knows what is it, just from the colouration and black lines throughout. The log was about 14" diameter and 16" long, the finished bowl size is 13"X4".
I was given the Left overs, and I'm just curious about what it could be.
Anyways, thank you.

RBTCO

reeves
17th September 2007, 09:09 AM
looks bit like pine, cypress or macrocapa, did it have a piny smell when turned..?
if not some kind of wattle variant..

TTIT
17th September 2007, 09:39 AM
Wouldn't have a clue on the timber but nice work and welcome to the forum anyway :U

orraloon
17th September 2007, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the site.
I think it may be white cedar. Did it have iron gray bark?
What ever it is it looks good.

Regards
John

Gil Jones
17th September 2007, 02:57 PM
Fine looking bowl, and it rather looks like Unk wood.

OGYT
17th September 2007, 03:22 PM
Ditto. Welcome, and good looking turning. Can't say, on the timber... since I couldn't identify anything from Oz.
Beautiful wood, too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2007, 03:37 PM
It looks like it's been rather heavily spalted, making any ID from that piece a bit awkward... but at a guess I'd say it's an acacia of sorts, from the general grain pattern & colour of what I think is "unaffected" wood.

As to which acacia... :no:

hughie
17th September 2007, 09:26 PM
Welcome,
Not so sure if it could be Macrocarpa the last time I had a go it, it was some what bland. Not alot of colour as this one. Either way its a great looking piece

Cliff Rogers
17th September 2007, 09:53 PM
The uneffected bit looks a bit like mango sapwood with the green tinge in it but when mould attacks mango, it doen't come out looking that good

I do have some spalted Kauri Pine that looks similar but it doesn't have the green tinge.

Frank&Earnest
17th September 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi, welcome. Sorry about the quality of the picture, but this seems quite similar: could it be peach or another stone fruit?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=55398&stc=1&thumb=1 (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=55398) ETA: don't know whether it is technically "spalting", the darker bits "grow" into the living tree and are already there when it is cut down.

robutacion
18th September 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone,

reeves - I can see from where the pine idea come from, the picture on the left, can resemble the red on some of the heavy resined radiata pine, but no, is not pine. I believe you are right about your second option.
orraloon - Don't thing is a cedar either, the bark is quite dark and stringy.
Gil Jones - Quite honestly, never worked with Unk wood, so is possible!
Skew ChiDAMN!! - I think your analyses makes a lot of sense, when relating to acacias, the question is, which one gets the black lines?
hughie - Excuse my lack of knowledge, what is "Macrocarpa"?, any sort of FISH?, sorry for the joke, the "carpa" thing done it, I'm not familiar with that timber name.
Cliff Rogers - Sorry, I don't thing is mango nor any of the pine species like the Kauri Pine.
OGYT, TTIT and others, thanks for the Welcome, and appreciation of this piece.

Thanks everyone for the observations, I tent to believe that, is a wattle of same kind. Bark and general timber colouration, matches the Black Wattle by 75%, but with out the clear black lines throughout. I've only seen that same black line configuration and clarity, in the White Acacia, better known as Silver Wattle, and this is not it for sure.

As everyone knows, the first thing you are asked when presenting something made out of timber is, what is it? the answer is not always possible, or in this case, a specific species. I believe, the last time I looked, it seems we have nearly 1,000 types of Acacias, with 350 or so been Wattles. Considering most Acacias are affected at some point, with different types of bacteria and fungus, giving it unique colours and patterns, identifying accurately one particular species of Wattle, is near impossible. Would you agree reasonable to generalise and simplify the situation to when asked, what is that bowl made of? the answer be, Australian Wattle!

Cheers
RBTCO

Harry72
18th September 2007, 01:18 AM
Its Aussie wattle:D

Nice work RBTCO.

reeves
18th September 2007, 09:03 AM
the wattle idea is good but the peach suggestion got me thinkin, it actually looks a bit like advocado or some other fruit tree type of wood..

whereabouts ya get the log from mate ?

Wizened of Oz
18th September 2007, 09:24 AM
hughie - Excuse my lack of knowledge, what is "Macrocarpa"?, any sort of FISH?, sorry for the joke, the "carpa" thing done it, I'm not familiar with that timber name.
Cheers
RBTCO

Hi

Cupressus macrocarpa, one of the northern hemisphere cypresses, common as a windbreak in rural areas of the southern states.
Not to be confused with what we know as cypress which is timber from the totally unrelated native Callitris species.

And I haven't a clue what your bowl timber is, but a lovely bowl.

Frank&Earnest
18th September 2007, 03:07 PM
the wattle idea is good but the peach suggestion got me thinkin, it actually looks a bit like advocado or some other fruit tree type of wood..

whereabouts ya get the log from mate ?

Well, this is easily sorted out, given that R. has seen the bark.
This is a typical stone fruit bark (peach, nectarine, almond, plum). Colour and corrugations of course change a little from species to species.

I wouldn't know a Black Wattle from a Pink Flamingo, but R. can tell whether this bark is sufficiently similar to that...:D

Toymaker Len
18th September 2007, 10:14 PM
That really is a difficult one. Is there any chance that it is myrtle from Tassie ? The pink and the black stripes are just like tiger myrtle. If its fairly light it could be as the wattles are much heavier and harder.

robutacion
20th September 2007, 03:03 AM
Hi everyone

I got a couple of pics, to probably add some more confusion to the situation, as this timber has 2 distinct bark textures and colour, see for your self...!

Cheers
RBTCO

Frank&Earnest
20th September 2007, 12:38 PM
I stand by my guess that it is one of the prunus species. IMHO the silvery colour in the first pic is due to mossy growth on the N side of the tree.

reeves
20th September 2007, 07:48 PM
mm the barks really thick isnt it, the sapwood under the back is also quite thick and the spalting seems to have crept in there, does look a bit like advocado, theres a few different varieties in australia, where did you obtain the log ?

still dunno what it is mate but some kind of fruit tree is a good guess, its not a wattle...and its nothing like Tassie myrtle or nay other kind of beech or nothofagus..

it looks kind of soft and midweight, is that right...

Cliff Rogers
20th September 2007, 09:35 PM
Still looks a lot like mango to me. :rolleyes:

fxst
20th September 2007, 10:47 PM
I reckon Cliff is on the money ....looks like mango to me too
Pete

Toymaker Len
20th September 2007, 10:48 PM
Definitely not myrtle, too yellow and hard looking and wrong bark. Definitely not avocado, it has a thin bark and very plain light coloured wood. I've just had a look at the mango and the bark on that is very light grey but it is thick like that... Hmmm...

Old Croc
20th September 2007, 11:06 PM
it looks very much like Pelthophrum, a very widespread street tree in Qld.You dont indicate what part of Aus you are from?

robutacion
21st September 2007, 03:02 AM
Hello all,

The log was found in an old shed, at a property this person moved to recently. The last Tennant is long gone, no one knows where to.
I'm in SA, and the property is in SA, also. This is all I know!, sorry.

Cheers
RBTCO

reeves
21st September 2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah Len is right about the advocado, bark too thin, if its mango then how did a mango tree grow in SA, i grew up in Adelaide and didnt see a mango tree until i came to Qld..

Cliff Rogers
21st September 2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not saying that it HAS to be mango, it just looks like it.
The mould stain doesn't look the same.

Frank&Earnest
21st September 2007, 01:08 PM
Now that you say you are in SA I am prepared to take bets :D. And the mossy side would have to be South...:wink:

Old Croc
21st September 2007, 11:08 PM
Well it was worth a guess, Hi Cliffy, and Powderpost back online after 5 months, you going to Proserpine Turnout? paid our registration last week, see ya there,
Richard.

Cliff Rogers
21st September 2007, 11:41 PM
You bet...:2tsup: I'm trying to talk TTIT to come too.

TTIT
22nd September 2007, 01:10 AM
But it doesn't look like I'm going to make it at this stage Cliff :C - the powers that be have scheduled a rollout every week in October and November - not gonna have time to scratch.:~

Toymaker Len
22nd September 2007, 08:17 AM
Had a look at some plum and I guess it could be at a stretch.

switt775
25th September 2007, 09:48 AM
Hi everyone,

reeves - I can see from where the pine idea come from, the picture on the left, can resemble the red on some of the heavy resined radiata pine, but no, is not pine. I believe you are right about your second option.
orraloon - Don't thing is a cedar either, the bark is quite dark and stringy.
Gil Jones - Quite honestly, never worked with Unk wood, so is possible!
Skew ChiDAMN!! - I think your analyses makes a lot of sense, when relating to acacias, the question is, which one gets the black lines?
Cliff Rogers - Sorry, I don't thing is mango nor any of the pine species like the Kauri Pine.
OGYT, TTIT and others, thanks for the Welcome, and appreciation of this piece.

Thanks everyone for the observations, I tent to believe that, is a wattle of same kind. Bark and general timber colouration, matches the Black Wattle by 75%, but with out the clear black lines throughout. I've only seen that same black line configuration and clarity, in the White Acacia, better known as Silver Wattle, and this is not it for sure.

As everyone knows, the first thing you are asked when presenting something made out of timber is, what is it? the answer is not always possible, or in this case, a specific species. I believe, the last time I looked, it seems we have nearly 1,000 types of Acacias, with 350 or so been Wattles. Considering most Acacias are affected at some point, with different types of bacteria and fungus, giving it unique colours and patterns, identifying accurately one particular species of Wattle, is near impossible. Would you agree reasonable to generalise and simplify the situation to when asked, what is that bowl made of? the answer be, Australian Wattle!

Cheers
RBTCO

What I appreciate most about this type of thread is I end up feeling less like a dill for not being able to pick one timber from another. It shows that even the experts (as many of you no doubt are) find it hard to know which is which. I guess the good news is that we're spoiled by choice here in Oz.

So many great timbers,so little time and money...

rowie
30th September 2007, 01:12 PM
spalted silver wattle is my guess

robutacion
13th October 2007, 01:35 AM
spalted silver wattle is my guess

Yeah rowie, I reckon you guess is pretty spot-on. I cut a silver wattle a few days ago, and slabbed the biggest part of the trunk, approx 20" diameter, and I got 2 slabs very, very similar to the timber in question. The red is not as obvious, but this timber is green, not like the piece I was given to make the bowl with, I believe, the longer it is left to dry, the darker the red will get, as the black stripes are very black and very sharp, amazing stuff it is...!

I'm satisfied that the answer is, "Silver Wattle", so I thank everyone for trying to help and suggest possible species.

Until I come across with some other unknown timber species, I let this subject to rest.

Cheers
RBTCO