PDA

View Full Version : Timbecon

clubbyr8
2nd October 2003, 03:28 PM
Has anyone had a problem with Timbecon? In particular, consignments going missing and then trying to get Timbecon to respond?

Their after-sales service is a joke, they promise to do things (and don't), they refuse to chase things up and they won't return phone calls.

I'm being a little vague (deliberately) as I am still trying to get a replacement consignment.

Dan
2nd October 2003, 03:44 PM
I've found service from Timbecon to be excellent. When ordering via the web I get an email telling me exactly what is happening with my order. If something happens after the goods have been sent then the problem lies with the freight company. Copy of email below.

Dear Dan,

The Veritas items that you ordered were in stock and your order was packed and sent yesterday. It was sent via Australian Air Express and the connote number for the shipment is #######. You can track your shipment at the following web address:

http://203.43.1.230/track/inquiry.html

The consignment should reach you by tomorrow. The plane is due in early next week and the CMT bit is due in tomorrow. We will forward these items to you as soon as we receive them. I hope this is acceptable. If you have any further queries regarding this order, please feel free to contact us or by calling 13 12 13 will put you in touch with the nearest Australian Air Express Depot. Thank you for your order.

Kind regards,

Hague.

craigb
2nd October 2003, 03:49 PM
I've only ever bought one thing from Timbecon, a bench vice and I had asbsolutely no problems. Ordered it on a Thursday and It arrived on Monday as I rmember. which I thought was preety good Perth to Sydney.
I don't know that I'm that thrilled with the vice (a Record knock off) but that's beside the point.

Cheers
Craig

clubbyr8
2nd October 2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the response.

Looks like I'll have to reveal more.

I bought my goods at the Canberra Wood show and paid cash. They had run out of the item I wanted, so they agreed to ship it from Perth to Sydney when the item came in (at their expense, good deal or so I thought). Anyway, two weeks later and the goods have still not shown up. I emailed Timbecon, gave them all my details, and got no response. Emailed them a second time, no response. Rang them up a couple of days later, and the person I talked to gave me a consigment number and told me to chase the freight company, as it was out of his hands. He couldn't even tell me the date it was dispatched.

So we rang McPhees and they confirmed the consignment had gone missing. The man from McPhees said he would organise a replacement consignment to be sent (looks like I'm finally getting somewhere). A couple hours later, Timbecon rang me and said that they would organise for a replacement to be sent and made it sound like they had done all the chasing when in fact, we the customer, had to.

It is now a week later and guess what, no consignment. So more phone calls to Timbecon and McPhees. Our contact at Timbecon has been too busy to return phone calls for the last two days, and the same goes with McPhees. So I rang again, and was told again, the our contact was too busy to take the phone call. I refused to accept this from the telephonist (I got rather annoyed, which I apologise to her for) and I asked to be put through to the Managing Director. It turns out that the contact I had been talking to was the Managing Director, so she put me through to someone else.

To cut a long story short, nothing was done by Timbecon of McPhees to organise a replacement , and that is probably why they refused to call me back. Apparantly, a replacement consignment will be sent tomorrow.

Timbecon where the ones who made the offer to ship the item from Perth to Sydney, if they hadn't, I would not have bought the item. I just hope I haven't been ripped off by them.

MICKYG
2nd October 2003, 04:33 PM
Fellow woodies,

Have had a number of dealings with Timbercon and could only
say that their service and advice could only be described as excellent,

It sounds as if something has got tangled up in the bowels of a transport company which often happens.

It'll turn up eventually mate

Kind regards

Mike:D

craigb
2nd October 2003, 04:41 PM
Clubby8,
I doubt if you've been intentionally ripped-off by them - it's probably more down to " happens" - and I'm not trying to justify your experience.

Perhaps if you put your experiences in writing (not an email) to Timbecon - addressed to the Managing Director and marked "private and confidential" you may get redress.

Just my POV

Cheers
Craig

clubbyr8
2nd October 2003, 04:47 PM
Hi Mike,

I agree that the freight company has screwed up, but my "contract" is with Timbecon, and their service has been non-existant. It shouldn't be up to me to chase the freight company, after all, Timbecon chose them not me!!

It should be Timbecon offering "service" when the missing item was brought to their attention. Instead they have chosen to ignore it, and continue to do so by not returning phone calls.

clubbyr8
2nd October 2003, 04:48 PM
Hi Craig,

As I mentioned above the person I dealt with originally is the Managing Director, so if he doesn't give a , what chance the others?

DaveInOz
2nd October 2003, 04:57 PM
Clubby

You are totally justified in your anger, on being informed of the problem Timbercon should have chased it up and got back to you with a resolution. It may not be their problem or fault but you are their customer.
However it is obvious that this is the exception not the rule.
I would write to them (snail mail) explain the situation and what you expected them to do. Ask that they respond in writing.

(they will recognise lawer ammunition when they see it ;) I get very good responses to this approach)

blindbambi
2nd October 2003, 05:07 PM
I have purchased a few things from timbecon. Some things I received a few days after and others on back order. When I have received the backorders the freight was always free and with an apology for the delays. I understand that everyone wants their goods ASAP, but if I have to wait I can always find something else to do in the shed.

Regards Blindbambi:)

clubbyr8
2nd October 2003, 05:15 PM
Hi blindambi,

I have no problem in waiting for things that are back order.

I do have a problem with a company that says they have organised a replacement and then couldn't be bothered to do it, and then ignore my protestations. As I said, they have promised to send it tomorrow, but I bet they don't bother informing me of a consignment number (they haven't up to now so I don't see why they would change).

I have bought many things via mail order, and this is the first company I have ever had problem with ('spose it had to happen some time).

Sturdee
2nd October 2003, 05:55 PM
As I said, they have promised to send it tomorrow, but I bet they don't bother informing me of a consignment number (they haven't up to now so I don't see why they would change).

Don't hold your breath for tomorrow as I would imagine that they are all in Melbourne for the Timber and Woodworking Show. Next week is more realistic.

Peter.

kenmil
2nd October 2003, 06:04 PM
Hmm..I have had a couple of emails go unanswered from Timbecon, but generally speaking, their service has been very good. I do get the impression that sometimes they get very busy, and that's when things can slip a bit. Under no circumstances would I think you have been ripped off.

barnsey
3rd October 2003, 01:07 PM
Clubbyr8

I worked in distribution for many years and my experience might suggest that McPhees may be the problem. Transport companies are notoriously inept at tracking freight that hasn't turned up. My guess would be that it's sitting on the floor of a terminal shed somewhere and until they decide to do a clean up it will remain so. In the meantime I'll bet the customer service people are telling Timbecon that they are still looking for it so they appear from your end to be procratinating.

I'm not trying to defend anyone here but sometimes it helps to understand the processes that are going on in the background. Frankly I would be seriously looking at my transport provider if this had happened to my organisation. Misplaced shipments happen but when they don't turn up like this one it is a sign of endemic problems within the organisation.

I hope Timbecon see this thread and work on a remedy. From my perspective I use Timbecon regularly and find them terrific. I would suggest that you not consider being ripped-off - Timbecon have perhaps failed to follow up as well as they might have and their choice of transport provider in this instance is questionable but a lot of us have found Timbecon to be reliable and generally good service providers so a letter outlining this approach may well be received more attentively than a more forceful approach.

My 2p worth;)

graham the mule
3rd October 2003, 08:36 PM
I emailed Timbercon monday week ago still waiting a reply. They just lost me as a customer

Graham

Daniel
3rd October 2003, 10:24 PM
Try the Melbourne Wood Working Show, they all seem to be there (Friday).

Actually I was amazed at how big there display actually is, it's on a par with Carba-tec if not bigger. Seems like they want to make serious inroads into Victoria.

I am sure if you wait until next week you might have better luck.

Daniel

Sir Stinkalot
4th October 2003, 01:47 PM
Has anybody stopped to think about what else that they may be doing?

No there is no excuse for bad service, but in their defence they had the Canberra show a few weeks ago, the Melbourne show this week, and Im sure the Perth show wasn't long before that. It seems as if there is plenty of work that must go into preparing for these shows, they need to ship a large amount of product and it will take up alot of staff time. The staff members that I spoke to at the Melbourne show all appeared to come over from WA. I would imaginge the staff left at the show room are few and far between for a week or so before and after a large show. They attend the show to help out woodies that generally do not get to see their products.

I would agree that they should have chased up your order with their freight company, and that all customers should be treated with the upmost respect, but I am sure that they are also very busy trying to bring their show to the other woodies so cut them some slack. I have always found that the products have arrived quickly and any questions answered promtly .... but this may have been when they were fully staffed.
Stinky

Driver
4th October 2003, 10:46 PM
Stinky's got a point - manning a series of woodworking shows would be a big drain on resources for Timbecon - they're not a large enterprise.

clubbyr8 and graham the mule - I would recommend that you give them a call - or another call if you've already phoned them. I've found Timbecon to be a very friendly and helpful mob. Admittedly I live in Perth so I don't have to rely on phone calls to contact them and I'm not at the mercy of transport companies either.

(Incidentally, I have no connection to Timbecon - except as a customer).

Col

mikmaz1
6th October 2003, 01:42 AM
hi all,
yes i can agree with all of you with timberCON.
when they have got the parts in stock they do a terriffic service to their customers, but thats where it ends.
returning calls.............nonexisting.
quotes........................dont believe them.
lost items....................and i thought i was the only one.
they have lost me as a customer!
seeyasoon mik.

joez
6th October 2003, 10:41 AM
My tally with timbecon so far: 7 Orders, 3 of them delivered with the wrong items.

To their credit they sorted out the first 2 orders pretty quick, I am still waiting on the last order to be sorted, it was only delivered last week.

Joe

Dean
6th October 2003, 11:42 PM
Hmm yes...
My tally:

1 Item ordered over net 2 weeks ago
0 orders processed, 0 emails.

Not a good start.

clubbyr8
7th October 2003, 04:11 PM
The consignment has finally turned up!!!!! Timbecon finally delivered!!! :D

Here are a couple of observations.

My phone number was incorrect on the consignment note (with the amount of times I've left my number with Timbecon you would think they would get that right.

I opened the packaging (cardboard box) and guess what, the wooden box is damaged!!!!!

The consignment I ordered was a 25 piece Metric Forstner Bit Set in a wooden box (weighs 8Kg according to consignment note), and there was absolutely no protection for the goods except a thin cardboard box (probably what they are sent from China in). There was no label suggesting the contents were fragile.:confused: :confused:

The bits were all over the place when I opened the box but at first glance they look ok, but I'll know more when I try and use them.

I have decided not to return the goods, however, I will write to Timbecon and let them know what I think about their operation. After all that has happened (or not happened) you would think there would have been a short note of explanation, but Timbecon in their wisdom, decided to include "nothing".

There have been several posts in this thread that have praised Timbecon's service, I must be just unfortunate because I totally missed out.

I will never, ever buy anything else from this inept organisation.

Ivor
7th October 2003, 05:52 PM
I have ordered a few things from Timbecon and they have all shown up fairly promptly, even living in rural NSW. They still have my vote. If you are going to stop using Timbecon, the list of choices for mail order stuff in Australia becomes very very small.

My 5c worth (they don't make 2c anymore)

Ivor

Rocker
7th October 2003, 08:19 PM
I have had a couple of poor experiences with Timbecom. I ordered a litre of urea formaldehyde glue from them. They packed it in a padded bag with no rigid packaging around the plastic bottle. Not surprisingly, the top came off in transit, and the package was dripping glue from the half-empty bottle when it was delivered. When I called Timbecon, they initially said I should have insured it. When I replied that the consignment was not properly packed, and that the bottle should have been in a rigid box to protect it, they reluctantly agreed to send me a replacement, which was better packed and arrived safely.

On another occasion I tried to order goods through their online ordering system. I found the system was full of bugs, and was unable to lodge my order properly, so eventually had to give up and send my order by snail mail, informing Timbecon that their online system was fatally flawed. That was about a year ago, and I don't know if they have repaired it yet, but it seemed to me to be pretty slapdash to allow a bug-ridden ordering system to be put online without proper testing.

R. McCarthy
9th October 2003, 10:20 PM
I've bought quite a bit of stuff from Timbecon over the last 18 months or so but I hasten to add that it was mainly small bits and pieces (mainly sanding bands and mandrels for a Dremel).

All but 1 of the orders were delivered fairly promptly and nothing missing. I usually use the toll free number to order and the people I've spoken to have been courteous and businesslike.

It's unfortunate that some woodies have been stuffed around but I can only speak as I find.

Having said that, Murphy's Law will now swing into top gear with my next order from them !!

alf t
9th October 2003, 11:03 PM
May I suggest that those who don't like Timbecon's service go somewhere else to get their gear and stop filling up this forum with your personal bitches.
Alf

Dean
9th October 2003, 11:10 PM
I agree... up to a point, however, what is being said here is not totally useless information. It is helping other forum members make informed purchasing decisions, and in that light, the 'personal bitches' become valuable information :)

clubbyr8
10th October 2003, 08:45 AM
Alf,

My reasons for posting this thread were to ascertain whether my experiences with Timbecon were the norm or just an aberration, and in light of some of the replies their service leaves a lot to be desired.

Bear in mind I purchased the goods at the Canberra Wood Show and Timbecon made the offer to ship the goods from Perth when they became available. If the offer wasn't made I would not have purchased the goods. By the way, Timbecon staff at the show told me that the goods were in a container waiting to be unloaded and that they should be sent a couple of days after the show. I waited a fortnight before I chased them up.

In good faith, I paid cash for the goods up front because I didn't have any reason to expect any problems from Timbecon or McPhees. How wrong I was.

I paid $149 for the bit set and was concerned that because of Timbecon's lack of service, I had lost this money. You might be able to afford to lose this sort of money, but I can't.

This thread became a "personal bitch" because the lack of service demonstrated by Timbecon.

This forum was set up for people to have their say on any "woody" issue, that is what I'm doing. If you don't like what is being said, don't read it and vote with your feet.

Rocker
10th October 2003, 11:59 AM
I posted my experiences with Timbecon in the hope that someone from that company's management would read them and make the necessary changes to the way they do business - not for the satisfaction of venting about my personal gripes. It is clear from the posts on this thread that the company has some systemic problems with their customer service.

Justin
10th October 2003, 07:31 PM
As a prospective customer I for one am glad to have read these posts. Given the purpose of this forum, and the fact that a business, a bunch of customers and their hard earned money is the topic of discussion I think "personal bitches" is a bit off the mark.

Regards.

Justin.

Gumby
10th October 2003, 07:41 PM
I agree with Justin. Alf old boy, you are way of the beam. This forum is exactly the right place for what has been an enlightening discussion.

R. McCarthy
10th October 2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Dean
I agree... up to a point, however, what is being said here is not totally useless information. It is helping other forum members make informed purchasing decisions, and in that light, the 'personal bitches' become valuable information :)

Yep - good, commonsense observation !!

Caliban
10th October 2003, 09:29 PM
:(
I agree with with Justin and Clubby.
This forum is about learning just what is what. In this case Timbecon seem to have a lot to answer for. I personally do not feel that these guys were "bitching". It is better to be forewarned rather than feeling forelorn as Clubby now does.
While I have your attention what has been the experience concerning Hare and Forbes, they are really helpful on the phone and seem very cheap. Any comments?

alf t
10th October 2003, 09:55 PM
Well I did bring you all out of the woodwork !!!!!!
Alf

Sturdee
10th October 2003, 10:45 PM
While I have your attention what has been the experience concerning Hare and Forbes, they are really helpful on the phone and seem very cheap. Any comments?

I have purchased a few tools from their Melbourne outlet " Heerless Machinery " in Clayton and I have no complaints - price wise or service - but in each case I picked them up myself.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

BrianT
11th October 2003, 10:51 AM
Have only bought a few things but had no problems with Timbecon re delivery and/or advice and will continue to contact them if/as required;)

BrianT @ Burra

MICKYG
11th October 2003, 04:15 PM
Woodies

Having read all the posts this has unearthed, I am still of the opinion that
"YOU WILL CATCH MORE FLIES WITH HONEY THAN YOU WILL WITH VINEGAR",
and I have never encountered any organisation which does not have its fair share stuff ups. :D

Mike

Sturdee
11th October 2003, 05:15 PM
Mike,

You can only catch flies with honey if the flies are willing, but the original complaint was that Timbecon was not willing or able to honour its obligation in a proper and timely manner.

As regards to other organisations having its fair share of stuff ups is totally irrelevant to this discussion. It does not excuse Timbecon, or anyone else for that matter, for lack of customer service.

IMHO cubbyr8 is perfectly correct in his attitude and this complaint and if any supplier stuffed me around like this I would have already seen my solicitor and issued appropriate legal proceedings.

I would also have made my complaint public in the wider media. After all just because we are woodies we should not be stuffed around.

Regards,

Peter.