PDA

View Full Version : Source of parrafin wax

rsser
23rd September 2007, 07:37 AM
Hi folks,

Mitre10 used to carry the stuff by the kilo but no more. Can anyone point me to a source for quantities around 5kg?

Seems to work better than end-grain sealer for unstable woods.

TIA,

Honorary Bloke
23rd September 2007, 07:58 AM
Hi folks,

Mitre10 used to carry the stuff by the kilo but no more. Can anyone point me to a source for quantities around 5kg?

Seems to work better than end-grain sealer for unstable woods.

TIA,

Over here it is often found in the food markets. Used in preserving food. Not in 5kg lumps, however. :)

Grumpy John
23rd September 2007, 08:01 AM
Hi Ern,
Try craft shops in your area, the craft shop in Frankston sells it allthough I haven't bought any there yet. Could also try home brew/jam preserving outlets as it's used as a sealer around the tops of jam jars.

Cheers
GJ

rsser
23rd September 2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've seen the small tubs around; not stuff in bulk.

Will check out some craft shops GJ.

Barry Hicks
23rd September 2007, 08:53 AM
G'day Ern,
After much searching, I tracked it down at Woodturning Supplies in Brisbane so maybe similar places down your way me be the go.

It was in bead form (very handy) and cost $10 per 1 kg bag.

If you are using it to seal timber, a heat gun does wonders.

Barry Hicks

RETIRED
23rd September 2007, 08:56 AM
Our benevolent owner used to have it. Try Neil.

Gwhat
23rd September 2007, 09:00 AM
Hi

We buy 5kg lots from the above, they're in Osborne Ave, Springvale / Clayton. As candle makers they have are quite economical and easy to deal with. Also some great candles to keep the missus happy??

Regards

The Woodworker

Taffsmania
23rd September 2007, 09:07 AM
Try
Marsca International
http://WWW.ONLINE-CANDLE.COM
31 Monbulk Rd
MT EVELYN, VIC., AUST., 3796.

$25 for 5Kg
keith

Grumpy John
23rd September 2007, 09:42 AM
Hi

We buy 5kg lots from the above, they're in Osborne Ave, Springvale / Clayton. As candle makers they have are quite economical and easy to deal with. Also some great candles to keep the missus happy??

Regards

The Woodworker

Same road as Carba-Tech, handy thing that, let me know if you want some Ern and I'll pick some up next I'm at CT. I'll bring it to WWW for you.

http://www.australianwaxco.com.au/index.html

Cheers
GJ

ubeaut
23rd September 2007, 09:47 AM
I have around 1/2 tonne of the stuff in 25gk bags of beads at $10 kg I'll sell you any amount.http://www.ubeaut.biz/woohoo.gif

5 Kg no problem. probably even drop the price for you.

Also have a couple of 25kg bags of Chinese stuff that melted before we got them (through poor handling of importer) and are a bit on the solid side. Can't be fagged messing around with them so they can go out for $100 a bag. It will break up and melt down alright I just can't be bothered.

Now that's cheap.

Cheers - Neil :U

rsser
23rd September 2007, 10:30 AM
Many thanks GJ; 5kg would be great :2tsup:

China
23rd September 2007, 09:13 PM
Candle makers suplies have it in 5- 10 kilo slabs

Calm
23rd September 2007, 09:53 PM
Ern some advice please - The blackwood i have slabbed is going to be stored to dry off the ground under Cypress tress near a hay shed. There will obviously be mice and maybe rats around so if i seal the ends with wax will it work or am i feeding the rodents - no offence meant to our esteemed coleague -

Or is old paint or end grain sealer a better oprion.

Thanks in anticipation

joe greiner
24th September 2007, 12:04 AM
Old paint will need repeated applications. My rating: Paraffin wax, Anchorseal, paint, in that order. In addition to storing above ground, I'd suggest a tarp or visqueen overhead, with tiedowns or ballast blocks.

Joe

rsser
24th September 2007, 07:59 AM
David, I've not heard of rats eating the stuff.

Have learned that some candle ingredient suppliers add stearic acid to parrafin to harden it so you have to check.

Thanks all for the tips and sources.

nfld steve
24th September 2007, 08:45 PM
Guys,I'm about to put up some pieces of wood to dry for over the winter or when ever.The parafin wax,do you melt it first or soften it and apply it with a brush or something?
I' know I'm going to get some genius answers to this one,but I guess I asked for it,lol.
Thanks ,Steve.

China
24th September 2007, 08:50 PM
I can't speak for all suppliers but normally if you purchase wax in block form there is no steric added , you normally add yourself so you can control the hardness

RETIRED
24th September 2007, 11:05 PM
Guys,I'm about to put up some pieces of wood to dry for over the winter or when ever.The parafin wax,do you melt it first or soften it and apply it with a brush or something?
I' know I'm going to get some genius answers to this one,but I guess I asked for it,lol.
Thanks ,Steve. Melt it an electric frypan (don't let the wife catch you) and if the pieces are small dip the ends in Watch out for spatter if the timber is wet.

Brush on the larger pieces. Don't forget to go up the log from the ends about an inch. (25MM).

joe greiner
25th September 2007, 02:03 AM
Brush on the larger pieces. Don't forget to go up the log from the ends about an inch. (25MM).

And use a natural bristle brush, not plastique. DAMHIKT.

Joe

rsser
25th September 2007, 07:16 AM
Yep. Don't melt it over a flame. It's flammable as you'd expect.

Don't rush it either. A big lump [of timber] will pull down the temp of the molten wax and you need to give it time to heat up again.

If the end is cloudy when you pull it out, the stuff's not hot enough.

rsser
25th September 2007, 05:24 PM
Just to close the loop ...

Many thanks GJ for his inquiries; came up with Australian Wax Co. in Clayton, Melb. 5kg of parrafin wax for $25 plus GST plus delivery. I'll add a kg of their beeswax to soften the mix a bit.

They also do a special sealing wax for this kind of application; is liquid, comes in various colours, is expensive relatively speaking, but is recyclable.

Again, thanks all.