PDA

View Full Version : lidded bowl

robyn2839
24th September 2007, 10:03 PM
made this today camphor lidded bowl , finished in bees wax,then up it with the 4'' grinder for effects, what do you think?bob

Wayne Blanch
25th September 2007, 12:32 AM
Yet another nice piece Bob:2tsup: You must have a steady hand with the grinder to get the designs so neat! What a great idea - I would never have thought of doing anything like that!

I have tried beeswax in the past and have not been happy with the longevity of it under normal usage:~. (I have used it on bowls and some lidded containers that were to be used for food. I figured that it would have to be food safe. You couldn't get too many things more natural than beeswax.)

How well do you find it lasts? And if it lasts well, what am I doing wrong?:? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Regards
Wayne

OGYT
25th September 2007, 07:27 AM
Haven't been invited, but I have 2 cents worth to add here. :)
You might try mixing Beeswax with Mineral Oil (heat the oil first and add the wax, stirring it until it's thoroughly mixed - how much, depends on how thick you want it).
I mix in enough wax until it's acting like it don't want anymore... when it's cooled off, it's about the consistency of soft paste wax... won't run, but easy to dip a rag into.
Then I apply it with the lathe spinning, and heat it up with my hands. It soaks in pretty well, and leaves a luster finish when you buff it. It lasts pretty well, but if the finish goes bunk later, you can buff it again, by hand.
About food safe finishes: In the upover, it's now required by law for all wood finishes to be food safe when cured... even lacquer... but it's not very appetizing to think that lacquer chips may be mixing in with your tossed salad.

reeves
25th September 2007, 07:54 AM
i like it, interesting piece Bob, the ground effects are a bit japansee and my guess is you had great fun doing them..

Hardenfast
25th September 2007, 08:50 AM
Most impressive Bob - innovative! My old FIL makes rocking horses by hand, and he uses a similar technique with the 4" grinder wheel for adding some of his detail - mane hair etc. Never thought to use it as you have, though.

Most excellent item!

Wayne

robyn2839
25th September 2007, 08:52 AM
i hold the hard wax against the bowl as its spinning ,put a good coating on it , then slowly rotate by hand as i heat it up with hair dryer it soaks in, and when dry i buff it while spinning with soft cloth. seems to last a long time ,can recoat at any time. bob

TTIT
25th September 2007, 08:55 AM
Interesting to watch your progress Bob. Looks like you've come to that point now where you figure that just turning is not enough - I can do more with this stuff. You can turn some very ordinary pieces in to masterpieces with a little texturing and extra shaping - great start mate!:2tsup:

robyn2839
25th September 2007, 09:36 AM
Interesting to watch your progress Bob. Looks like you've come to that point now where you figure that just turning is not enough - I can do more with this stuff. You can turn some very ordinary pieces in to masterpieces with a little texturing and extra shaping - great start mate!:2tsup: thanks mate . just one question, have you ever used a texturing tool? was going to get one. bob