PDA

View Full Version : My First Turned Birdhouse

Gil Jones
27th September 2007, 08:55 AM
Hello y'all,
3.5" hi X 2.25" wide [89mm hi x 57mm wide], Aromatic Cedar upper, and Live Oak lower. Finish is two coats of lacquer and buffed, and the bird is from Michaels craft store. I can thank Eugen Schlaak for the birdhouse idea, and Basil Kelsey for the photo of a beading tool.

TTIT
27th September 2007, 09:01 AM
Wow you guy's have really small birds dontcha!!!:;

Looks good Gil :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
27th September 2007, 09:58 AM
Gorgeous! Love it Gil! :clap::thumbup:

Please would you consider this my offical Order for one of your Birdhouses :)

Cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
27th September 2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Vern and Wendy, these are fun to create.
Sure Wendy, you are first on the list (as soon as I make one). I will PM you when I figure this out :)

OGYT
27th September 2007, 12:37 PM
Gil, nice birdhouse! I like the choice of timbers. Most of all, I like the beads. I'd like to see that pic of the tool. I've never turned a bead that looked like a bead. :(
How'd the bird take to the buffing? :D

Gil Jones
27th September 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks Al, a copy of the beading tool is in your email, and included here too.
It is used as a scraper, and can be VERY aggressive if you allow it. Light cuts with a sharp tool.

ss_11000
27th September 2007, 03:36 PM
excellent work Gil.

the cedar and oak look to have great figure to!

cheers

joe greiner
27th September 2007, 03:46 PM
Perfect as usual, Gil. Nice contrast of colors and grains in the wood selections. Where'd you get the beading tools? They certainly work well here.

Joe

hughie
27th September 2007, 10:55 PM
Gil,
Ditto, wot they said.
Nice one! Hmmm must be one of them blue blood birds..:U to have house like that.

Gil Jones
29th September 2007, 04:07 AM
Grazzie, Stirlo, Joe, and Hughie..!
Joe, the beading tools are just el cheapo bench gouges that I reground like the ones in the pic I posted...I will bring them and the B1rd Houch to the meeting on Tuesday.
Hughie, yep a tiny blue-blood birdie, and it is not happy being CAed to the perch. :)

Grumpy John
29th September 2007, 05:26 PM
I will bring them and the B1rd Houch to the meeting on Tuesday.

You guys are keen doing a 60 mile drive to a meeting. Do you do this drive weekly, monthly?

Nice birdhouse, I assume they are just for decoration or are they functional also?

RETIRED
29th September 2007, 10:51 PM
You guys are keen doing a 60 mile drive to a meeting. Do you do this drive weekly, monthly?

Nice birdhouse, I assume they are just for decoration or are they functional also?

I do that every day.:wink::D:rolleyes:

Wayne Blanch
30th September 2007, 12:08 AM
Nice work yet again Gil:2tsup: Great combination of timbers!

joe greiner
30th September 2007, 02:30 AM

Gil's the one with all the driving; ASFAIK mostly Interstate freeway. My trip is only about 5 miles, in town. We also have some members in Thomasville GA (about 35 miles) and a few at similar distances. Monthly BTW, 1st Tuesday.

Joe

Gil Jones
30th September 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks y'all.
John, our turning club meeting is once a month, and it is about 65+ miles (105km) one way from home. So yes it is a costly trip with fuel prices going up (diesel in my case), but it seems to be mostly worthwhile. Yes, it is just an ornament birdhouse. The entrance hole is 1/2" (12.7mm).
Joe, what is a ASFAIK? ("As far as I know" is AFAIK, if that is what you mean):)

Barry Hicks
30th September 2007, 02:50 PM
Very nice BH Gil!
Maybe you can tell me something? For years I have been reading how you guys up there grow 'live oak trees'. I can tell the difference between live and dead trees but do you guys also grow 'dead oak trees' as opposed to the live version?
WTH is a live oak tree?

Barry Hicks

Grumpy John
30th September 2007, 03:12 PM
John, our turning club meeting is once a month, and it is about 65+ miles (105km) one way from home.

Luckily my club is only 5 km away they meet 3 times daily, 4 days a week :o:doh:.

Cheers
GJ

joe greiner
30th September 2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks y'all.
John, our turning club meeting is once a month, and it is about 65+ miles (105km) one way from home. So yes it is a costly trip with fuel prices going up (diesel in my case), but it seems to be mostly worthwhile. Yes, it is just an ornament birdhouse. The entrance hole is 1/2" (12.7mm).
Joe, what is a ASFAIK? ("As far as I know" is AFAIK, if that is what you mean):)

Yeah, my built-in (inside my head) acronym finder sometimes slips a cog.

Joe

Gil Jones
1st October 2007, 05:14 AM
Joe, try this one >>> http://www.acronymfinder.com

GJ, your club sounds like a pub:)

Thanks, Barry, this is the definition of Live Oak >> http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/QUEVIRA.pdf << The wood is much darker than White or Red Oak wood. Growing a dead Live Oak would be interesting.

jd570b
1st October 2007, 06:35 AM
Been lurking here for a while, this is my first post, hopefully I get it right.

WTH is a live oak tree?

Barry Hicks

Try this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_live_oak

Audubon Society Field Guide agrees with Wikipedia for the most part. Also it has a good photo of a old live oak in South Carolina.:)

I hope to find a piece to turn one of these days.

Milton

Barry Hicks
1st October 2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks for that Gil. They look like an impressive tree.
Any idea where the unusual name originated?

Barry Hicks

joe greiner
1st October 2007, 02:24 PM
Any idea where the unusual name originated?

Here 'tis. Doesn't shed all its leaves in winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_oak

There are about 450 species of oak worldwide, and at least 25 in Florida alone.

I have some dead live oak in my timber stash. :)

Joe

Gil Jones
1st October 2007, 02:36 PM
Milton,
Savannah is full of Live Oaks, maybe a tree trimmer will give you a chunk. I would trade you a USPS Flat Rate Box full of Live Oak if you have something interesting to trade in return.

Barry Hicks
1st October 2007, 04:57 PM
Thank you Joe, now I won't die wondering. I had a nagging feeling someone was going to tell me the name came about because all the other varieties looked dead.

Barry Hicks

funkychicken
1st October 2007, 06:19 PM
Now there's an idea.

Good work old chap!