PDA

View Full Version : Why do you choose the glue(s) you use?

Eastie
7th October 2003, 03:41 PM
A seemingly endless topic this one, but glues are the staple of most woodworking.

Everyone has their own likes/dislikes, some people rave about one particular type for everything whilst others explore the range within a certain brand or perhaps apply some research and use specific glues for specific applications. The restorers are probably the only ones who truly know that the modern glue age hasn’t yet helped them greatly and hide glue still prevails for good reasons.

From what I can find there is a relatively empty Pandora’s box out there in relation to comparative testing of glues, so what is it that makes you choose one glue over another?

One I recall claims to be used by NASA. Although this claim doesn’t relate to timber (they use it as a space suit thread sealer! not that that specific feature has saved any astronauts lately) it clearly states the claim on the marketing info.

The likes of gorilla glue also come to mind as one that has been heavily marketed and claims to be the 'worlds toughest'. However when gluing brush box, merbau or other timbers that are not so glue friendly is it still the ‘worlds toughest’? What are the 'tough' characteristics anyhow?

It seems that most of us don't show any great interest in knowing the differences between aliphatic resins, TPVA’s, crosslinking polyaliphatic emulsions, protein glues, polyurethanes, general PVA’s, two packs versus single pack, etc or what applications they are best suited to - I'm no exception but I'd like to change that.

Hopefully the legal monkeys have flown back to their castles and will leave us munchkins alone for a while to discuss such touchy issues

ozwinner
7th October 2003, 06:38 PM
Wheres Stinky The Polster? :(

ozwinner
7th October 2003, 06:41 PM
OK Stoppers!!!
Hand over all your plastic bags, and glue. :(
Cheers, Al

q9
7th October 2003, 06:48 PM
You missed out one - Fitness for purpose, so I vote for other.

Tough adhesives may be impact resistant and may allow some controlled movement without (permanent) elongation. May or may not be a desirable thing depending on application.

AlexS
7th October 2003, 07:15 PM
Must say that I rely on the AV Symtec data sheet plus experience (good and bad). If other companies put out a sheet like that I'd probably use that too. No connection with Symtec, but I've always found their glues do what they say, and their technical advice over the phone spot on. Support good service!

q9
7th October 2003, 11:30 PM
Actually a lot of companies (most) will supply detailed data-sheets if you ask them nicely. Possibly not something the average Aquadhere user asks for though.

Obviously, you need to put the stuff to the test as ultimately they are trying to sell you their product.

Shane Watson
8th October 2003, 07:20 AM
Actually by law all companies have to supply at the very least an MSDS which usually details enough.

Have to agree that personally I have found AV Syntec products to be unbeatable and have had no problems with recommending them and most have ceverted as well after using them.

But lets not forget a restorer's best friend.......HIDE GLUE!

Geoff Allen
8th October 2003, 02:48 PM
Doorstop,

Now don't take this personally but I did think when I saw you at the Workingwithwood show that you did in fact look a bit thicker.

regards,
Geoff

Sturdee
8th October 2003, 05:57 PM
and Doorstop was very helpfull and polite..... not at all a "rude idiot"

Peter.

JackoH
8th October 2003, 06:05 PM
His bite is worse than his bark!.. http://www.ubeaut.biz/dog.gif
.By the way I tend to use one of Tritons' best products. Their yellow(is there any other colour?) glue for general glueing up of segmented turnings and the like. For pens and cracks etc. Super-glue.:D
Someone was asking about glue were'nt they?:confused:

Shane Watson
8th October 2003, 06:52 PM
huh? what ya whinging about now stoppers? ;)

Termite
9th October 2003, 02:34 PM
GLUE KNOWLEDGE:confused:
Well I don't claim to be an expert on glue, but I can assure you from personal experience, that one stu..ed up project from using the wrong glue will increase your thirst for knowledge out of sight.

Use the forum and ASK for help the same as we all do from time to time. We've more than likely got about 3,000 years of experience on this forum.
Regards
Termite

AlexS
9th October 2003, 09:08 PM
Too true termite! Experience is what we call our own mistakes.

Woodgrub
9th October 2003, 11:53 PM
There has been a 'User Report' in
The Australian Woodworker Magazine
Issue No. 109 June 2003 Page 75
on PVA Aussie glue: by Les Miller :D :D
I have read another in an Oversea's Magazine
which I am curently looking, for looking for, looking for.

:p

DPB
10th October 2003, 10:56 AM
I have been using Triton Yellow for the past two years and have not been dissapointed.

However, I like to try new products, so recently purchased Garrett Wade 202GF glue from a local furniture maker.

http://www.antongerner.com.au/202gf.html

I have only used this glue once, so my exprience is limited. Does anyone have exprience with this glue?