PDA

View Full Version : Power Tools etc

wheelinround
27th September 2007, 01:41 PM
This is good news.
I myself have had to now open boxes and see what I can use doesn't this upset many tools stores, Especcially when it a case of "Oh we dont stock the item its special order"OK order it in I'l open the box if I can't use it then I won't buy it.

Drills, Saws and more all with saftey switches in places it makes it either a two handed job or having to install/modify so it can be operated one handed as it should be.
I wish I had done that with my planner let go of the saftey switch and it stops hands fingers/thumbs get sweaty.:doh:

22 September 2007 http://www.hreoc.gov.au/about/media/media_releases/2007/72_07.html
Time to consider the overlooked consumers

Disability Discrimination Commissioner Graeme Innes AM has called for more attention on access for older people and people with disabilities in the design of consumer electronics and appliances.
Launching the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission’s (HREOC) The Overlooked Consumers discussion paper, which examines accessibility of consumer electronics and home appliances, Mr Innes said design was a major concern.
“It is well known that designers tend to design environments that suit their own situations,” Mr Innes said.
“Too often when designing products, attention is given to the narrow notion of who will be using the products and not much thought given to all those people the product will exclude. This is the heart of the problem,” he said.
Mr Innes said the discussion paper researched access issues for blind or vision impaired people, the Deaf or hearing impaired, people with physical disabilities and those with limited dexterity or fine motor control.
He said the project looked at accessibility of a range of consumer electronics, including: home entertainment systems and remotes, whitegoods and other appliances, home environment, portable devices, and personal care, health and fitness devices.
“While it might be easy for some people to rely on visual displays to set the VCR channels or to run their washing machines, for example, these simple tasks become virtually unworkable for people who are blind or vision impaired. Quite often, just adding a dial would help,” Mr Innes said.
“Heavy oven doors and remotes with tiny buttons are other examples of how better thought out design could make life much easier for some of the 20 percent of Australians who have a disability.”
Mr Innes said the discussion paper provided a starting point to making consumer electronic products and appliances more accessible.
The Overlooked Consumers papermakes 15recommendations to improve access, including: dialogue with industry, making access a feature of the Australian Design Awards and developing grants and tax incentives for manufacturers willing to develop accessible products.
The full paper is available on the HREOC website at www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/consumer/overlooked.htm (http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/consumer/overlooked.htm)
Media contact: Louise McDermott (02) 9284 9851 or 0419 258 597

echnidna
27th September 2007, 01:56 PM
and ain't it in a pain in the bum removing the plastic packing from so much stuff

crocky
28th September 2007, 11:42 AM
Good point!

My BIGGEST problem is that Camera's and Video Camera's are ALL made for RIGHT handed people. The left handed camera's when you can find one are a piece of low grade rubbish.

I can work around most things though with adaptors and things :D