PDA

View Full Version : turning aluminium

ascon
29th September 2007, 07:51 AM
has anyone out there had any experience with turning aluminium?
I am wanting to build an aluminium neck guitar and I've heard of one method where a solid block of T6061 aluminium is turned to form the radius and then band sawed in half to produce two necks.
This would be a cool project (although rather expensive, I'm guessing)
any thoughts/feedback would be most welcomed......
I'm new to the forum...so, I'm looking forward to discussing tricky little projects like this one....cheers, andy :2tsup:

RETIRED
29th September 2007, 08:56 AM
Welcome to the board Andy.It may be worth posting this in the metal working forum as well.

dai sensei
29th September 2007, 11:36 AM
If you are asking if aluminium can be turned, the answer is a definate yes on a metal lathe, and as suggests, you may want to ask in the metal working forum.

If you are asking if aluminium can be turned on a wood lathe, the answer is again yes, but you need to take care as it is not what the lathe was made for. I have turned a number of aluminium pieces - pens, sleeves, adaptors etc. It does tend to stuff your chisels, although can be done, so I do tend to use more often rasps, files and sand paper.

rodent
29th September 2007, 12:57 PM
Ascon when turning aluminium you need kerosine as a lubricant (WD 40 or the cheep water dispersants will do ) . If you don't the finish will be ragged , torn , and it will grab . you can spray it on or brush it ,slow speeds are a must . Once finished you must degrease and seal the ally so it doesn't oxidize .and dont ever use steel wool.