PDA

View Full Version : is it necessary to oil a decking

Ivor
22nd January 2002, 04:32 PM
Gidday,

I have just bought a house with a deck that looks like it is about 5 years old. The decking boards are under cover but get a bit of rain when the gutters overflow. I was wondering if I should be oiling the boards with something and if so what and how often. The boards look like they have never been touched before.

Thanks for any advice.

Ivor

Shane Watson
22nd January 2002, 06:40 PM
I'm back! Been down in Brisbane for a short break. But I kept on eye on the place http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif Just couldn't access my email as some of you already know... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

Ivor,
Is it necessary? Well that depends really.
Being a few years old its probably going to need some work before applying anything to it. What sort of timber is it? Treated pine? Hardwood??? I have a t.pine deck and its over 8yrs old and never had anything on it. Its worn but it still looks ok. On the other hand I have a hardwood deck on my Ute and I applied a decking oil from day one and I am having to reapply the oil every two months otherwise it starts turning that grey colour.
First thing I would do would be to get a gerni to the deck and see how it comes up, others may suggest using a timber cleaner/conditioner before applying anything, but I don't think its that necessary just somthing the paint manufacturers come up with too make more money I reakon.
Anyway. HTH!
Cheers!
Shane.....

------------------
Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece! SO
Work like you don't need the money... Love like you've never been hurt...
Dance like nobodys watching...

Ivor
23rd January 2002, 01:31 PM
Shane,

It's a hardwood deck, but I don't know what sort of eucalypt. The non-faded areas are a readdy colour and the rest is aged grey.

I was hoping to avoid sanding it cause I have got better things to do with my time. So I guess if it is already grey, I'll just leave it. I was just worried that although grey it might deteriorate without oil.

Ivor