PDA

View Full Version : Treadle Lathe

Fredo
1st October 2007, 04:28 PM
Something that may be of interest to pass the time on a public holiday.

Here are some pictures of my treadle lathe. When I orginally purchased it many parts were missing and to convert it back to a treadle I had to make them. With no real reference to the orginal parts I had to improvise and make parts of my own design that would fit and work. E.g. the lathe drive belt is from a Holden Commodore, the drive wheel is laminated craft wood etc. The degree of diffculty to both operate and turn on this lathe is about 8.5.

8.5 = (and everybody stand and try this) while standing on the ball of your right foot, lift and pump your left foot vigioursly and at the same time pat your head with your right hand and rub your stomach in a circular motion with your left hand. Piece of cake, hey.

You have to respect the people who used these things.

Fredo

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2007, 05:08 PM
A bit too "modern" for my taste, but it's good to see someone else uses one too. :) I wish I could use a v-belt like that, I've been trying to find a long skinny cow without much success... and in the meantime I'm using a pair of SWMBO's old stockings. (And didn't I get into trouble over that! :rolleyes: I guess I shoulda looked for a pair with holes in them?)

8.5 = (and everybody stand and try this) while standing on the ball of your right foot, lift and pump your left foot vigioursly and at the same time pat your head with your right hand and rub your stomach in a circular motion with your left hand. Piece of cake, hey.

One good thing about it: you quickly learn to keep the tool on the tool-rest, even if it is only to stop yourself falling over at first! :D

Oddly enough, young kids have no problem with mine apart from it's height. Then again, I've a turner mate who tried it once and has sworn "never again." The klutz!

leppikallio
1st October 2007, 10:49 PM
That looks far too modern! :U

This is our treadle lathe. Here you can see (if you look carefully, click to see bigger picture) one GOOD solution how to keep that beast moving... Lathe, I ment lathe. :;

EDIT: sign said "Give a dime and kick the wheel, I will turn a 'shroom for thee". Believe it or not but quite many were willing to sweat and kick that treadle.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z255/leppikallio/Woodturning/th_Dose1.jpg (http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z255/leppikallio/Woodturning/Dose1.jpg)

hughie
1st October 2007, 11:35 PM
Treadle lathes have always interested me, but only from the collectors point of view.
When it comes to speed control I like my electronics. :U

reeves
2nd October 2007, 12:50 AM
thats very cool i like it, well done mate..

Fredo
6th October 2007, 10:30 AM
Skew & Leppikallio

Maybe this one is more to your taste it is a Goodell "Companion" lathe from the 1880's, quote: 'Certainly the most complex of the Goodell tools was the treadle lathe that made its appearance in the catalog during the first half of the 1880's. With a bed just twenty-four inches long and barely capable of accommadating a fifteen-inch piece of stock between its centers, the Goodell lathe was strictly a hobbyist's product. The basic Goodell sold for ten dollars and included both long and short tool rests, five turning chisles, a wrench and a set of drill points. For an additional two dollars a detachable scroll saw head could be added to the apparatus'. I've had it for a couple of years and it's easy to use, though it's really only a toy.

Skew - you could probably use an automotive belt on your lathe, just run it flat side in. They come in hundreds of sizes and you may be able to find a second hand one at an automotive repair shop.

Fredo :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2007, 05:11 PM
Skew - you could probably use an automotive belt on your lathe, just run it flat side in. They come in hundreds of sizes and you may be able to find a second hand one at an automotive repair shop

Probably. I've been using old stockings after all. :D

When I first got mine, I couldn't help but post a few pix (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=41189) either. You can see that the drive pulley is gently domed to take a 1.5" leather belt - this makes the stocking travel to one side, from where it has a tendency to work itself off the fly-wheel. :( Worse, it constantly slips.

Elbow kindly offered to source a v-belt for me but I declined, as I don't really want to perorm plastic surgery on this grand ol' lady. I love her just as she is... but I do wish I could dress her in leather instead of nylons! :wink:

BernieP
6th October 2007, 10:30 PM
G'day Fredo

I always find it interesting to read of treadle lathes and thought you might like to read this link which is a plan published early 1900's for a boy's lathe, and Skew you might also enjoy it if you haven't seen it before
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/methods/BoysLathe.pdf

Cheers
Bernie

Fredo
7th October 2007, 08:12 AM
Good link Bernie.

Hey Skew - She's a sweet old lady alright, there's gotta be a seven foot cow out there somewhere! Then again two joins in the belt would require a much shorter cow, just a thought :U

Fredo

echnidna
7th October 2007, 04:22 PM
Theres a number of links here (http://theblokeyshed.com/info/woodturning.html) to making various types oif woodlathes, including several treadle lathes

RETIRED
8th October 2007, 09:19 AM
Skew, contact a veteran/vintage motor bike club. They used flat belts for years.

Or ring Sovereign Hill and ask where they get their line drive belts from.

wheelinround
8th October 2007, 09:32 AM
Many of these are made of leather and joined with a staple type join.