PDA

View Full Version : What bandsaw do I buy for blank cutting?

dirkmartin
10th October 2003, 11:56 AM
Great forum. I'm glad I found it. So many knowledgable people!

Here's my situation. I know very very little about wood turning. But I've got access to a walnut tree the city is cutting down. Also, some cottonwood, and some maple. But, for now, I want to focus on that black walnut.

The best I can do with it (since I don't have a board milling band saw), is to chunk it with my chainsaw, and then cut some blanks out of it to sell to wood turners, like yourselves (after I seal with Anchorseal).

Question: How long should I cut those chunks? What size blanks will sell the best?

I'm going to need a bandsaw aren't I? And, I'll bet that baby won't be cheap. What's the best bandsaw out there for what my needs are? What's the 2nd best? What's the most affordable, that'll get the job done?

Thanks gang. I'm near Chicago, IL. USA

gatiep
10th October 2003, 12:49 PM
Hi Dirk

Being in Australia I cannot help you on which bandsaw to buy in the USA. Also it depends on the size of the blanks you want to cut.

As for the length of the logs.....a little more than the diameter. If the log is 12" in diam, cut it to about 14" long. Woodturning is round, thus the work can be no larger than the smallest dimention, unless it is laminated, but then the log will be sliced up by the turner and laminated.

Thinner logs can be cut fairly long if they are straight as some turners may want to spindle turn them

Have fun................keep turnin