PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini variable speed

wheelinround
3rd October 2007, 04:43 PM
:( Not a happy chap had to return my Jet Mini Variable Speed lathe again for the 3rd time since buying at Sydney WWWS.

I am writting this as I am concerned that others may be having similar trouble, not due to bad service or supplier woes but the machine itself. I state that those who are looking after my lathe have done what any other place/s would have done. Today I and the repairer said that, "that it should it continue it should be replaced or refunded.
1st Problem I had is the off switch wouldn't turn off :doh::o. Returned twice the first time they found nothing wrong. Yeh I know gremlin's, faires, elves.

2nd time they did and more it was screaming making noise, I couldn't hear it at home due to flammin APEC choppers practicing. They talk about tool noise Gee's

Ok switch box variable speed box changed :2tsup::2tsup:. They put it on a new machine and same thing noise and wouldn't turn off.

After a few turnings of file & chisel handles in hardwood and pine what the:o, roughing down a block.
This time well, it decided it didn't :no:want to work it just stopped :o all on its own. Rang again made it known and continued again the next day started ok and then stopped. :~ I had considered overheating but hey it was only 23C. Parts have been delivered and its being repalced yet again.

Now I am not at the lathe that many hrs so it hasn't taken a beating. I care for it really I do, clean it after evey use even a vacume, cover it tuck it away. one of the reasons I have not produced much to show.

Ray

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd October 2007, 04:52 PM
Ah. You've found the bugbear.

I like the Jet Mini, but I won't recommend the variable speed for precisely the reason you've discovered. Older versions had serious troubles and, although I've been told that newer ones have seen it all resolved, I've been waiting to let time tell the story...

I think I'll stick to my current practice of recommending the pulley-changed JET or Leda Mini, but not the var speed models...

My commiserations, BTW. It's no fun when your toy spends more time in someone else's workshop than yours. :(

derekcohen
3rd October 2007, 04:56 PM
I have the non-variable/manual speed version. It has been perfect from the day I brought it home. I am sorry to hear of your woes but reassured as well. I was in a dilemma when deciding which machine to get. If you read the USA forums, they are seem to prefer the variable speed model. On Ubeaut I was warned off it and took this advice. I wonder if it has to do with different voltages? As it happens, I have only turned spindles and handles, so it is left on one (fast) speed. Unless I go to bowls (which I doubt I will do on this machine), then a slow speed is unnecessary. Can you exchange yours for a manual version?

Regards from Perth

Derek

wheelinround
3rd October 2007, 05:04 PM
Ah. You've found the bugbear.

I like the Jet Mini, but I won't recommend the variable speed for precisely the reason you've discovered. Older versions had serious troubles and, although I've been told that newer ones have seen it all resolved, I've been waiting to let time tell the story...

I think I'll stick to my current practice of recommending the pulley-changed JET or Leda Mini, but not the var speed models...

My commiserations, BTW. It's no fun when your toy spends more time in someone else's workshop than yours. :(

I was advised by a woodturner at the show to this machine. I joined the forum about the same time. Don't get me wrong the machine when working is tops.:2tsup:
Love being able to dial it up yet so many are talking of fiting variable speed switches:roll: to all sorts of lathes.

I have the non-variable/manual speed version. It has been perfect from the day I brought it home. I am sorry to hear of your woes but reassured as well. I was in a dilemma when deciding which machine to get. If you read the USA forums, they are seem to prefer the variable speed model. On Ubeaut I was warned off it and took this advice. I wonder if it has to do with different voltages? As it happens, I have only turned spindles and handles, so it is left on one (fast) speed. Unless I go to bowls (which I doubt I will do on this machine), then a slow speed is unnecessary. Can you exchange yours for a manual version?

Regards from Perth

Derek

It appears the USA machines all have a toggle switch for on off just check out any supplier photo's of even the manual no sign of magnetic switch. Where as Europe and OZ have the magnetic switch.

This time you could hear the magnetic switch loud enough disengaging.

DJ’s Timber
3rd October 2007, 05:05 PM
What a bugger Ray, not good to have your machine in the shop all the time.

I've got the mini as well but in the standard belt pulley drive and even now down the track I am not perfectly happy with mine either. Most people wouldn't pick it, but when they surface ground the spindle where the bearings seat, it is a whisker out. One of these days I am going to take the spindle to my mates factory and re-turn the seats down and sleeve it so it's spot on.

Not the same problem as you, but it does happen to others as well. I don't reckon Jet are as good as most people say they are, there is far better quality machines out there but they cost 4 or 5 times as much.

Cliff Rogers
3rd October 2007, 11:13 PM
I've had my Jet for nearly 5 years now.
It is the model before EVS was available.
I modified mine to make it reversible, not an easy job on a Jet Mini. :rolleyes:

I am very happy with mine.

I scored a 'recycled' trolley for it the other day & have just mounted it all up ready for Proserpine next month.

TTIT
4th October 2007, 12:41 AM
I modified mine to make it reversible, not an easy job on a Jet Mini. :rolleyes:

I scored a 'recycled' trolley for it the other day & have just mounted it all up ready for Proserpine next month.??Couldn't find a bigger chuck for it Cliff???:U :;

Gil Jones
4th October 2007, 03:52 AM
Ray, I am not familiar with the Aussie version, but if it is an A/C variable speed motor (spelled "variable frequency") set-up, and you are powering it through a circuit with a Ground Fault circuit breaker, that could be part of the trouble. Some variable frequency drive controllers do not get along with ground fault systems. Here we have one in our club, and it works fine.

wheelinround
4th October 2007, 06:50 AM

I scored a 'recycled' trolley for it the other day & have just mounted it all up ready for Proserpine next month.

Well I'll be first pics I've seen of Cliff's mind you I haven't been right through the archives yet.

Nice stand and score:2tsup: looks familiar like a stand for a large printer or drawing board.:rolleyes:
The Jet is a nice lathe when it's working:(
I have seen and have a copy of the PDF for fitting a reversable switch to the JET variable haven't even considered getting the bits yet.

Ray, I am not familiar with the Aussie version, but if it is an A/C variable speed motor (spelled "variable frequency") set-up, and you are powering it through a circuit with a Ground Fault circuit breaker, that could be part of the trouble. Some variable frequency drive controllers do not get along with ground fault systems. Here we have one in our club, and it works fine.

-- Wood Listener-

Gil this could be the problem then the switch/s are a magnetic type.
Australia has ground Fault Circuit breakers in power boards, and at the main box.:doh: Now I wonder why JET hasn't taken this into account :whatonearth: Even amazing that you may have hit the nail on the head.

Last weekend I had the pleasure of seeing a non-variable speed in action smooth as silk not a sound, ok it was out doors and I could here the birbs more than the lathe.

There was another thing or two I negelected to mention with the lathe when I first returned it.

The variable speed box placed on the headstock end is also the access door to change belt settings, this is plastic hinge with a to part pin one from the top one from the bottom. The bottom pin can/does work its way loose and allows the door to swing open why the hell anyone would not use a full length pin is beyond me, the catch for the door is usless. This means if you have to go hit the OFF button in an emergency firstly you have to find it and then fiddle with the door to much preasure and the hinge will break.

The swing of the door pinches the wireing

Thanks to you all a supportive situation looking at a positive outcome.

Ray

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2007, 10:01 AM
??Couldn't find a bigger chuck for it Cliff???:U :;
Always draws fire. :D
It is a Bonham off my big pedestal lathe, I use it with the big jaws for reverse chucking small bowls 'cos the Cole Jaws are too big for a jet.

Well I'll be first pics I've seen of Cliff's mind you I haven't been right through the archives yet.
Keep looking, I have 4 lathes spread across 3 sheds, & 9 or 10 chucks now, they are all in there somewhere. :-

Nice stand and score:2tsup: looks familiar like a stand for a large printer or drawing board.:rolleyes:
Fell off a HP Plotter on the way to the dump. :2tsup:

I have seen and have a copy of the PDF for fitting a reversable switch to the JET variable haven't even considered getting the bits yet.

I don't know if they changed the motors since mine but I had to take my motor apart to do it, not a job for the average woodie & I bet not too many sparkys would do it either.

wheelinround
5th October 2007, 10:07 AM
:D It's ready jsut got to go pick it up will have to see how it goes thats all I can do.
No use getting angry snotty etc engineers just design stuff they don't use it company CEO's are just worried abou profits not end user's being happy.

Cliff I notice your wooden thingys on the stand

I am going to make up a box to store the extension bed and the Lathe is that what you have there.

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2007, 10:48 AM
...Cliff I notice your wooden thingys on the stand.....
The old plotter frame is just pressed metal & the top of the legs just has 2 tabs each side with a couple of screw holes in it.
The funny looking open box on it's side is to give it all some strength & bracing.
There was a metal frame paper catch basket between the legs that I chucked away but I kept a bit of the metal holder as bracing between the legs & I screwed a bit of 'recycled pallet' to it for more strength & whacked a couple of holes in it to hold tools.

Very pleased with it 'cos it is strong & light & mobile & will fit in the back of the Corolla. :2tsup:

Matt88s
20th October 2007, 11:43 AM
I almost bought a Jet mini lathe but steered away because of the variable speed thing.

I bought a Rikon instead and from my other thread you can tell how that went. :roll:

Wish you luck and hope they get you fixed up proper quickly, its terrible being without a lathe. :C

wheelinround
20th October 2007, 11:51 AM
I almost bought a Jet mini lathe but steered away because of the variable speed thing.

I bought a Rikon instead and from my other thread you can tell how that went. :roll:

Wish you luck and hope they get you fixed up proper quickly, its terrible being without a lathe. :C

Its great when working Matt :doh:

One thing I can say for MWE at Padstow who has been handling my problem is their quick turn around Ryan has been excellent no more than 3 days.

Its been working well since I got it back although its sat idle for two weeks till I finished another project for a mate.

Off to the shed.

wheelinround
25th October 2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/j1014Irvu.html
ndexing

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="5" width="150"> <tbody><tr> <td>
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/graphics/photos/tools/jet1014irvu/hdstkindx200.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
The indexing system is simple, tough and very easy to use. The push button/pin is in a good place and locks the spindle well.
Click image to enlarge
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> The big addition to the JET 1014I series mini lathes is the 24-position indexing. An especially nice feature of this indexing system is the simplicity of design. The indexing wheel is housed within the headstock and a simple, spring-loaded push button/pin engages that wheel to register the spindle.
The push button/pin can be used to temporarily lock the spindle to install or remove faceplates and chucks by just pushing it in and catching one of the indexing holes. That same pin can be screwed into the headstock housing to lock the spindle in any of the 24 positions for drilling precise hole patterns, fluting or other decorative work. This is a very nice, dependable indexing system.

rsser
25th October 2007, 05:22 PM
Just take a bit of care using the indexing pin to hold the spindle before applying force - check and see if it's solid enough. Not all are.

wheelinround
26th October 2007, 08:58 AM
Just take a bit of care using the indexing pin to hold the spindle before applying force - check and see if it's solid enough. Not all are.

Sorry rsser may have missled there not MY new lathe The new lathe released.

I can see what your saying though I guess if enough force is applied and its not lined up with the hole you could bend the plate or snap the plate or pin

rsser
26th October 2007, 10:13 AM
Gotcha.

... well lining up is one thing but some pins are too thin to take much strain.

wheelinround
10th December 2007, 07:27 PM
:(:(( :C $600 is nothing to laugh at this is the 4th time it will have to be returned.

All has been well for 2 months until this afternoon the OFF switch wouldn't turn it OFF again. Now this is dangerous and a hazard if you are caught up and cant reach the power point etc there is no way of stopping it. The motor is making clicking sounds on wind down almost the sound of a collapsed bearing and I feel it is becoming noisy

Paint is chipping off even in places that you wouldn't expect, I am surprised and where I clean it paint is thinning its looks like I have had the lathe for years and use it 24/7 I wish. The tool rest I have had to file yet again the cast iron is to soft and nicks if you look at it.

Rang MWE told to contact JET QLD, contacted JET as good as said not our problem although they are awaiting an e-mail from me and have the appropriate switch to replace it in stock.
This has to be CC'd to Trend and MWE also with explanation of problem.

Ray

PenTurner
10th December 2007, 07:56 PM
Ray, I got my jet mini off GPW, when I rang them re this problem they immediately sent one out. :)But, my guess is that these switches may have an inherent fault or it was a faulty batch, so even if replaced they may break down again.:oo: The only other alternative if you are to repair it yourself is to get a quality switch and fit it. Pity, that this has happened because they are a fairly good machine. Amos

wheelinround
10th December 2007, 08:20 PM
Ray, I got my jet mini off GPW, when I rang them re this problem they immediately sent one out. :)But, my guess is that these switches may have an inherent fault or it was a faulty batch, so even if replaced they may break down again.:oo: The only other alternative if you are to repair it yourself is to get a quality switch and fit it. Pity, that this has happened because they are a fairly good machine. Amos

Thanks Amos they both said switch on the way basically but had to send an e-mail 1st with info etc. As you say its just going to happen again. I don't think we should have to pay for it, it is warranty if you replaced this yourself hope they paid for the service time $60 and hour isn't it. :D

Ray

wheelinround
18th December 2007, 12:56 PM
Spoke to Col at Jet QLD, re my lathe and whats happening with parts, rectification or replacement.
I am now told they have had to go to Sweden NWH ( I have done a google and can't locate such a company) not Taiwan to clear the matter.

I feel I am being shoved into oblivion with no where to go but to contact Dept of Fair Trading.

Just discovered its not NWH but http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th December 2007, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're still having hassles with it, wheelin'. It's a sad thing when what should be a minor problem is compounded by shonky support. Takes a lot of the fun out of using it too, when in the back of your head you're wondering "will it break again this time?"

This is one of the reasons I prefer to deal with smaller, fairly local dealers. Retailers like Jim Carroll or GPW who'll bend over backwards to assist, or mfr's like Leda who're fairly keen to see their product keeps a good rep. (In my experience, anyway)

wheelinround
18th December 2007, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear you're still having hassles with it, wheelin'. It's a sad thing when what should be a minor problem is compounded by shonky support. Takes a lot of the fun out of using it too, when in the back of your head you're wondering "will it break again this time?"

This is one of the reasons I prefer to deal with smaller, fairly local dealers. Retailers like Jim Carroll or GPW who'll bend over backwards to assist, or mfr's like Leda who're fairly keen to see their product keeps a good rep. (In my experience, anyway)

I like the lathe when its working.

Ryan at MWE has done all he can Skew it was taken out of his hands when Jet came into AU. He has gone to bat with Jet AU seems they don't have final say.

I contacted http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/ myself this afternoon through a feedback form fill in site this evening no direct e-mail. They have sent a standard reply "Thank you for your Feedback!
A customer service rep will review your comments as soon as possible and reply promptly. Please visit our website often to find out about new products and information."

wheelinround
19th December 2007, 03:01 PM
I had a phone call from Col at Jet Australia today offering me to replace the Mini with the 1220 as an upgrade.:2tsup: http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107442134

It weighs 15 kilos more and is 150mm longer on the bed about overall the same size.the other advantage is it has 12" swing.

Has anyone got one??

Or replace the switch with the old type toggle switch they have never had any of them with trouble.

I have decided to give it one more try with a switch and control box replacement :rolleyes: main reason is the extra weight of the 1220 and I would have to change the extension bed also.

Col did mention there have been a number of dealers who have had to replace the switches or control box but percentile is low per units sold. Possible cause the capacitor can't handle starting up at higher speed and blows the magnetic switch.

As I said to Col not the way mine has gone it has gone on low settings as well as high.

wheelinround
11th January 2008, 03:46 PM
:D Yes all smiles again Col rang me Christmas eve and said he could get a different control box for the Lathe the normal type toggle switch ON/OFF jumped at it.

Had to wait till MWE opened up 7th Jan John had it fitted while we waited.

I have given it a quick spin/test run and so far so good :2tsup: according to Col there haven't been any of these types replaced for the same problem I was having.