PDA

View Full Version : New GMC Scrollsaw

Daniel
14th October 2003, 12:30 AM
Does anyone know anything about the new Ls16ss scroll saw that GMC have in there 2004 brochure.

I knew it was only a matter of time before they released a variable speed, tool free pinnless blade scroll saw onto the Australian market.

Apparently they want them on the shelves before the christmas rush period.

Daniel

:)

oges
14th October 2003, 07:38 AM
I dont know about this machine, but its about time they offered a variable speed pinless scrollsaw. Does it give you a price in the brochure.

How do you get a copy of this brochure?

Daniel
14th October 2003, 11:53 AM
While at the Melbourne wood show I grabbed a copy from the GMC stand.

I actually rang GMC up to find out the retail price but they were unsure or just did not want to tell me.

Daniel

ozyjimbo
29th October 2003, 07:42 AM
the price i have spotted for the scroll saw at bunnings was 179.00
Note this price is for the old vari speed not the new one as depicted in the new catalog

Daniel
29th October 2003, 07:51 AM
They have this new scroll saw on there web site now. The address is as below.

http://www.gmcompany.com/13_LS16SS.jpg

Daniel

oges
29th October 2003, 08:30 AM
interested to see how the price compares to the Delta when it comes out.

GMC seem to be throwing lasers on everything these days, cant see how it would help that much on a scrollsaw seeing as with most blades you have to feed at a bit of an angle. I guess they would put a laser on a screwdriver if they made those!

Brett

ozyjimbo
29th October 2003, 08:32 AM
don't laugh it's possible they may just bring lazer pointed screw drivers out for the vision impaired

Daniel
29th October 2003, 11:11 AM
If they are on the shelves now I might go and try one out.

Is it worth paying an extra $99 for the variable speed unit and I must not forget the much needed laser as well.

I have one of the $55 GMC's with a set of $25 hegner clamps total $80.

Daniel

scooter
1st June 2004, 02:12 PM
Gday all

Asked a GMC rep at a DIY night about 3 weeks ago regarding the new scrollsaw, he said Bunnings weren't stocking it yet but it was able to be specially ordered through them.

I have one of the existing GMC models with the GMC allen keyed pinless blade adaptors. The allen keying is a pain when doing frequent inside cuts, as is the fiddly nature of getting the bottom holder back on.

Does anyone know if any other adaptors (Hegner or otherwise) are better, ie. an alternative to the allen keyed grubscrews, and a bottom adaptor that stays on unless removal is actually needed.

Or has anyone modified the GMC adaptors to improve them?

Any and all responses appreciated...........cheers.........Sean

oges
1st June 2004, 06:38 PM
Sean

I have the old GMC and have it fitted with Hegner blade clamps that use a clock movement key to tighten it. Works quite well and allows for a quick change. Not as quick as the Delta Quickset II clamp but it does me fine.

Might check the GMC stand at the Sydney WWW show and see if they have the new saw there, interested to see what its like.

scooter
3rd June 2004, 12:45 PM
Sean

I have the old GMC and have it fitted with Hegner blade clamps that use a clock movement key to tighten it.

Gday Brett, where did you get the Hegner clamps & how much? Do they mount on the same "tongue" ( :eek: ) as the GMC clamps or do they use the pinned blade tongue? I haven't stripped (yet) the grub screws on mine, but find the bottom clamp very fiddly to fit on the tongue when doing a lot of inside cuts, are the Hegner clamps better in that regard somehow?

Thanks for the response.....cheers........Sean

oges
3rd June 2004, 12:57 PM
I got mine from The Woodworks in Sydney for about $16 each I think they were. http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/details.html?eqskudata=S1101 and about $12 for the key.

What I did was to take the whole gmc clamp off including the silver thingy and just used the bolt to secure the Hegner clamp to the arms. The clamp doesnt sit how it would on a Hegner saw but I find it works just as well sitting on its side. If you want pictures of mine I can try and arrange to take some.

Anyway hope this helps.

scooter
4th June 2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks Brett, hadn't heard of mounting it that way, great idea :p :p ! If I understand you right the clamps would be mounted flat with the v edge facing the operator? Would be good for inside cuts as the clamp would be held securely and the bottom one would stay in place while just loosening the top grub screw with the key & pulling the top end of the blade forward. One advantage of the Hegner clamps in their normal orientation is supposed to be that the V edge allows a degree of pivoting front to back reducing blade fatigue and breakage, do you find any blades break off at the grub screws without this pivoting ability?

I might try mikesworkshop.com for the clamps, his prices & service are v good.

From what you say it sounds like it works well........thanks a heap.....Sean

oges
4th June 2004, 12:47 PM
Yes I have them mounted flat on my saw, I know its not the intended way they are meant to be used but I find it works well for me. I use the flying dutchman blades and do not find I get many breakages, most of the time I change the blade because it has become dull.

Iain
5th June 2004, 04:16 PM
Oges, and others, when the blade becomes dull and you are too tight to buy another blade, make a false table with a piece of 1/2 to 1" MDF, drill a hole in the middle and you now have the means of using the previously unused portion of blade.
If using crown blades use this method then repeat after turning the blade upside down.
"Born a Scot and proud of it"
By adopting this method I am able to save enough to buy a bottle of single malt every five years!

scooter
6th June 2004, 01:59 PM
Iain, good idea, thanks for the tip.

Oges, you're a gun, planning to order some H. clamps soon.....cheers....Sean :)

OldAussie
9th August 2004, 11:34 PM
I just ordered a GMC Scrollsaw thru my local hardware store , dont know if it is the one you are referring to , but it was $118 inc GST was this model..

Enraf
10th August 2004, 01:29 AM
This is the $98 one at Bunnings..... The new one is not out yet

Farne

OldAussie
11th August 2004, 11:53 PM
Saw the 2004 GMC Catalogue today , the new Scrollsaw will retail at $151 , but will not be available in Australia until November .
Looks pretty good , Laser Line equipped too

oges
26th August 2004, 07:51 AM
Looking through the Mitre 10 catalogue last night I noticed they had the new GMC scrollsaw in it, about $159 i think it was. Anyway checked it out yet?

fxst
26th August 2004, 09:40 PM
Brett my brother bought his today ($169) vari speed, pinless blades and toolless blade changes good buy I reckon considering the warranty given......
almost makes me want to sell the hegner ..............not :D
Pete
ps oops forgot the mighty laser sight Bwhaaaah

oges
27th August 2004, 07:18 AM
haha yeah right ... im still going to go ahead with getting the P-20, have to wait till next week to get it now :( the one I was going to look at has been ordered in for someone else so it wont be unpacked for me to gander at. So I have had one ordered in under my name ..... geez i hate having to wait!! dont these people know you have to strike quick whilst the bank manager is still okay with the deal :rolleyes:

fxst
27th August 2004, 09:50 PM
just transfer the funds to the smb acc and u have it whilst u need it :D
Pete

scooter
29th August 2004, 03:31 PM
Brett, will be interested in your review of the Delta when you get it, I am intending to get one also, the 50-540 I think was the model that fitted into my budget

cheers..........Sean

fxst
11th September 2004, 07:39 PM
re my brothers new gmc...........he returned it as a bad joke .......its lighter than the orig and when he used full speed (bolted down) it tried to lift off.the dealer tried it and offered him a new one or his money back.....no prize for guessing what he took.
looking at the delta now
Pete

anamcara
13th September 2004, 04:53 PM
I am also returning one. Not even turning it on. Nowhere on the box does it say what type of blades and the store rep said 'pinless' but if you want to use pinned you can get an adapter. Guess what? It takes pinned blades. So I will happily go spend some more money to get what I want.
Amy

fxst
14th September 2004, 10:33 PM
Amy if its the variable speed one it takes both ....without adaptors
having said that according to my bro its still just crap.
He has the old single speed gmc still and its ok and he bought the pinnless adapts for it ....but is still getting the delta
Pete