PDA

View Full Version : Jointer

Mick C.
15th October 2003, 08:44 AM
Hi all,
I am in the market for a jointer and have been looking at all the previous posts (threads) i can find and have not seen any for the HAFCO brand machines??? I am looking to use it for cabinet making for a new kitchen (seems everyone does this one :) ) and am going to make cupboard doors etc from TAS OAK, QLD MAPLE, VIC ASH or such when decide on final apperance.
So, HAFCO P200H seems a good machime for the money, 8", fairly long bed, large motor. Does anyone have one of these in use or has had one??? Was looking at the CARBATEC CTJ-196 and CTJ-150 (CTJ-350 too much money) leaning towards the 150 when saw the HAFCO for not much more and is a larger machine.
I was hoping for feedback on these machines from people that had used or owned them, ease of use, quality (repeatability) of adjustment, maintenence etc. The CARBATEC jointers seem to be DELTA machines with different badgeing, which should be a good thing.
I would like the 8" capacity but would much prefer quality to quantity as i don't wish to buy a jointer twice! Am looking forward to any feedback you all may have.
MICK C

chris_hewett
15th October 2003, 09:47 AM
Mick,

I have the 150 and am reasonably happy with it. I have been able to acheive good results with it. I do wish, however, that I had spent the extra dollars and purchased the 350... If you are in the Sydney area I can recommend Carba-Tec. I have had a few problems with some items purchased there (not the jointer) and their service and support was excellent.

Sturdee
15th October 2003, 05:05 PM
Mick,

I have recently bought the Hafco P150 jointer. It was a hell of a job to set up as it came in a flat pack and the instructions were woefull to say the least.

However when set up it works very well and I am pleased with it, especially as I bought it at the recent Melbourne sale price of $ 289.

Regards,

Peter.

Mick C.
16th October 2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks to Chris and Sturdee for your replies. Seems that both brands are made in China but most people seem happy with the performance that either brand offers. For the job i have to do a 6" jointer would be fine but i don't want to be like Chris and plenty of others out there and down the track be saying to myself i wish i had have bought the 8" but then again it's all money at the time, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I thought there may have been more owners of Hafco machines out there considering the bang for buck compared with other brands for an 8" jointer.
Thanks again guys.

Taffy
14th August 2004, 05:35 PM
Mick, what did you end up buying? I have been looking into hafco, same machine less money. There is a 6" Planer PT-160 with a 1210mm bed for $489. probably a bit late for you but if you have one of their machines I would be interested in the results.
Thanks

Mick C.
18th August 2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Taffy, i sure did buy the hafco 8" Jointer (P200H) and am quite happy with it. Had a problem with a bent fence ( 2mm deflection in the middle of the fence) but H&F sent me another no questions asked! So was also very happy with the service!!! Like all cheap machines it only had HSS blades that went dull the first time i put hard wood across it, but i fixed that quick smart with a set of 18% tungston blades ( and cheaper than the originals!! ). For the money i would buy it again, am totaly happy with it and have had no trouble! While on the H&F train of thought i also bought the 15" thicknesser from them and found it to be GREAT!!! ( taiwaneese as opposed to chineese) and found it to be set up spot on, and have what appears to be very good blades! ( they havnt gone dull like the jointer ones, even with lots more work ) Hope all that helpes.