PDA

View Full Version : ubeaut eee

weisyboy
8th October 2007, 08:38 PM
i was given some eee ultrashine and have no idea how to use it.

i have read the website and still am not sure.

can i sand to say 1200 grit and

1> apply EEE as the finish.

2> apply danish oil and then EEE.

3> apply EEE and then danish oil.

4> apply EEE then finish with turners wax.

5> apply turners wax then finish with EEE

6> finish with PPP wax and then EEE.

7> finish with EEE then PPP wax.

:?as you can see im a bit confused:?

:doh:well i gues thats what a guy gets for trying new things.:doh:

:stretcher:please help me:stretcher:

johnc
8th October 2007, 08:50 PM
I use EEE after the oil, finish etc, then after a good rub down top off with trad wax. Try the finishers bible the proper use is in there somewhere. Let the first part dry a bit for best effect.

DJ’s Timber
8th October 2007, 08:51 PM
EEE is a cutting compound that polishes the surface, it's not a finish and can be used before and after finishes. Also not to used after waxes as waxes are a protaective film over the finish.

In all cases EEE must be buffed to a shine and all residue needs to be removed before any finishes or waxes can be applied. One of the most common mistakes people make with EEE is to apply too much, only need small amounts to work, so if any residue is still left after buffing, you have either applied too much or haven't buffed enough

Studley 2436
8th October 2007, 08:52 PM
Get the finishers handbook there is stuff in there.

EEE is an abrasive you use if for polishing. It isn't a finish it can be used before you apply a wax or finish or it can be used to buff off the finish

Studley

rsser
8th October 2007, 08:55 PM
I've not tried it DJ but I'd be sceptical about using EEE before an oil finish; you'd be leaving some wax there which would affect the penetration of the oil don't you reckon?

Jim Carroll
8th October 2007, 09:15 PM
Ern the paste is only there as a carrier for the abrasive.

Once it has melted you only have the abrasive on your rag.

As DJ mentioned a little goes a long way so only apply as little as needed then work in till it gets a great sheen.
Always wipe of witha clean rag in case you have put on too much.
Oil will go over the eee no worries.

Quote from Instructions.

When EEE is used on a lathe over raw timber it produces a brilliant shine. Do not be fooled into leaving the wood like this. It is the timber shining from abrading and burnishing. There is no finish on the wood. Because of this the timber will dull in a short period of time from moisture in the air, steam, humidity, etc. This is because the timber is still raw.

Please use a finish over the top preferably one of the Shellawaxes, which are 100% compatible with the EEE. If using another finish over the EEE do a test piece first as the waxes in the EEE might stop the final finish from adhering to the timber

DJ’s Timber
8th October 2007, 09:26 PM
Ern, I've had no problems with using it before applying oil finishes, just need to make sure you have removed any residue and wipe it down with a clean cloth as Jim says

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2007, 01:55 AM
Aye, I've had no problems whatsoever using it before DO. Which I do regularly, 'cos I'm too lazy to go through all the grits after 400. :wink: (I love the stuff. :D)

By "only a little" I reckon it'd be fair to say that a lump the size of a match head is sufficient to do the outside of one of my goblets, and what's left on the rag after that is sufficient to do the inside. (Using a clean part of rag for all buffing, of course!)

For a pen, even that's waaaay too much.

ss_11000
9th October 2007, 01:59 AM
i was given some eee ultrashine and have no idea how to use it.

i have read the website and still am not sure.

can i sand to say 1200 grit and

1> apply EEE as the finish. NO - it will just be unfinished higly sanded wood.

2> apply danish oil and then EEE. i think so, never used DO but as long as you have let the DO cure properly it should be fine

3> apply EEE and then danish oil. yes

4> apply EEE then finish with turners wax. yes

5> apply turners wax then finish with EEE yes

6> finish with PPP wax and then EEE. whats PPP? the EEE should be fine because all it will be doing is cutting back the finish to a high shine :)

7> finish with EEE then PPP wax. yep

:?as you can see im a bit confused:?why, the instructions are quite clear

:doh:well i gues thats what a guy gets for trying new things.:doh:trying new finishes is great so you know what works for you and gets the right finish

:stretcher:please help me:stretcher:no, i dont want to:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2007, 02:27 AM
To expand on what Stirtlo's saying: basically you can use it before any finish, provided you make sure you remove all excess EEE properly.

You can use it after any finish too, provided they've properly set. Generally, it takes the gloss off so you have more of a satin sheen.

There's not much point in using it over wax though, as wax doesn't "set" anyway. It's just a wasted effort then. :shrug:

BTW, if you're turning acrylics (such as in making pens) then you can get away with only using EEE. It'll polish the surface nicely and acrylic doesn't need any finish after that. :)

rsser
9th October 2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks guys. Might get some mileage out of my jar then.