PDA

View Full Version : red fox brand thicknesser

Caliban
15th October 2003, 08:08 PM
Hi guys
I have recently bought a really old cast iron thicknesser, the brand is red fox. It has a capacity of twelve inches by four. I spent two days disassembling, cleaning and adjusting the thing, it cuts like a beauty but the blades are chipped. This is where the problem lies. these blades have holes through them for their bolts. Does anyone know anything about these machines? I love these old machines but parts may be a problem . I don't have a digital camera, sorry.
Any feed back welcome.
Jim.

KevM
16th October 2003, 01:10 PM
Jim,
Is it a round or square head thicknesser? Around 10 years ago I chased a quote for blades for square head thicknesser, from memory it was around $20.00 per inch to get made. Can not supply a name to chase as the business has since closed due to death of the proprietor.

By the way, if it is a square head machine you are not allowed to have staff operate them as they are considered unsafe in the work place.

regards

Kev

gatiep
16th October 2003, 09:13 PM
Hi Jim

I hope this 4 th attempt will be successful, we had 3 powercuts here in Perth, wiping my story. So I'll post and edit every few minutes

I grew up with a Red Fox 14" planer. I have one blade here in Perth. It has oblong holes in it for adjustment

Over 50 years ago we lived on a farm in South Africa. My dad was a self taught woodworker, kind of self taught jack of all.....

He made all the woodworking machines himself except the Red Fox Planer. On a Saturday the Farmall H tractor will be lined up to drive a line shaft off its power take off pulley. The tractor will spend all of Saturday idling, driving this shaft. He had the Red Fox planer, a circular 'table' saw, bandsaw, spindle moulder and a lathe all lined up next to each other in that order. The machines will be switched off or on by either flicking the v belt driving it from the shaft onto the pulley or off the pulley. The machines were made from all sorts of stuff, bolted together as he did not have the luxury of a welder.

I recall that model used a sectioned flat leather belt to drive the infeed rollers.

My Dad made lots of furniture, some I have here in Perth and all the Kiaat was planed on the Red Fox planer from rough sawn boards.

I'll attach a pic of a circular tabletop of a table that he made to illustrate the grain. I'll post a few more pics under Kiaat in woodwork pic area.

I trust that you find some blades for your planer. I am sure that a good saw doctor can make them up. It is just a flat about 5 mm thick blade, three oblong holes for attachment and a beveled cutting edge. They were top of the range in their day and surely my Dad's pride and joy...the only bought machine he ever owned!!

Regards,
Joe

Have fun........keep turnin

Kiaat trees were felled on this farm where I was born, milled nearby, seasoned and he did his woodwork with that timber. I'll quote a bit about Kiaat and also a website where some boards can be seen:

Kiaat (Pterocarpus Angolensis)
Also known as Muniga, Bloodwood, Paddle-wood, Sealing-Wax tree, Wild Teak, Transvaal Teak, Mukwa.
Colour is fairly uniform dark red-orange. The grain is close, and straight to interlocked and varies from medium to coarse in texture.

http://www.timbermerchant.co.za/kiaat.html

Some boards here: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/kiaat.htm

gatiep
16th October 2003, 09:43 PM
Sorry got wiped by power failure again

I'll attach a pic of a circular tabletop of a table that he made to illustrate the grain. I'll post a few more pics under Kiaat in woodwork pic area.

gatiep
16th October 2003, 10:38 PM
Jim

The blade measures 12 1/4" x 1 1/2" . It was never used but has had a few drops over the years, so there are a few dings in the cutting edge. However if you get a saw doctor to make cutters, that is the original unused size.

Photo of blade, including the surface rust attached

dlf
2nd July 2005, 12:41 PM
Jim,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

I purchased a Red Fox 12 inch planer at a new and used tool store about 10 years ago. The planer needed some repair. The table was not flat, being worn down the center. A local machine shop was able to grind it flat. The bronze bearings in the cutter head were also worn. The bearings are a common size and easily replaced. Much to my surprise, the planer came with the original operating instructions and sales brochure. I have attached a copy of the instructions. It sounds like you may need new knives. Check with Infinity Cutting Tools at http://www.infinitytools.com/ (http://www.infinitytools.com/). They may be able to make knives for you at a reasonable price.

<o:p> </o:p>

Denis<o:p></o:p>