PDA

View Full Version : post about real actual WW projects from a real actual woman

s_m
11th October 2007, 11:48 PM
Hello all,

I am planning to launch into custom framing using solid timber and all archival materials - probably not properly for another 18m when my daughter will be at full-time school.

I've been working on some frames for photos of our daughter that have been sitting in a filing cabinet for 3y but had to put them aside to do a gift for a family member's 70th.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/1519220537_5a6b782c4b_m.jpg

The frame is timber from an old English Oak desk I am gradually dismantling.

All archival materials were used to aid in conservation of sterling silver 1937 Australian Crowns:
- inside of timber rebate sealed with acid-free acrylic medium
- acid-free mat boards
- coins fixed with acid-free permanent glue dots
- backed with acid-free foam board to protect from temperature extremes
- frame sealed with tape to protect from dust, moisture and insects

More detailed pics (and some shots of a roman blind that kept me away from the shed on and off for several weeks because I had to repaint the window frame behind it) are in my Flickr projects set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/s-s-a/sets/72157601900295071/).

Steph

flynnsart
13th October 2007, 01:17 PM
Looks very classy, hope you do well with it.

Donna

kekemo
22nd October 2007, 01:17 PM
Steph, I was thrilled to see your post...I know know what the wood is that I have been trying to work out...are you sure thats it Old English Oak...was given a bed...very old stripped it back & that's the exact grain that I'm getting is unmistakable....same I didn't know what the wood was but it looks fabulous all I have put on it is burnishing oil....& its amazing....it's going to look exquisite when I've finished it, anyway....it looks great....I make lots of stuff like that.... I've extended it to shadow-frames and make them a lid to a box instead of a picture for the wall.....lovely but tend to like the bigger stuff, thought you might like to see my latest 2 units....
I would like to include them but posting pictures i am not good with so please PM or email me.....
Thanks Kerry

kekemo
22nd October 2007, 02:25 PM
Well....yes I have a problem...don't know if I can fit anymore furniture in the house....looking for spaces to fit it....don't laugh....its true!!!!!

Oh my goodness think that I have worked this out....I see a picture....hope you do too...

ok....guess you can tell I like the country cottage look....both of these are make using 100% recycled material...hence the colour variation if you look really close...I really enjoy putting in the secret compartment....think it give extra value & I believe there is a necessity for them too!

Having lots for problems....need to take to an experience woodwork regarding the sealing & polishing of woods....I wont use varnish, an I want a high luster finish with only wax's & polish.....if anyone can help...please email or PM me, thanks.....
Back on line.....haven't been in for a while....needed a little more support...not having too good time at the moment....missing Ed too much!
bye Kerry ....Shed Butterfly

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mum/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mum/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mum/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mum/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg