PDA

View Full Version : Craft show

MY TURN
12th October 2007, 01:31 PM
I will be at a woodcraft show on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I set up my both today and I seem to be one of a handfull of turners again this year.

I do have a question for you experienced craft people.

What do you use to sign your work?

MT

wheelinround
12th October 2007, 01:48 PM
I will be at a woodcraft show on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I set up my both today and I seem to be one of a handfull of turners again this year.

I do have a question for you experienced craft people.

What do you use to sign your work?

MT

check this link MT I asked the question not long ago http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=55117&highlight=monika

OGYT
13th October 2007, 02:21 PM
I use a cheap (about $20) WalMart Woodburner. I used a needle file to sharpen the point, then sanded it with 320Grit to get it about the same roundness as a sharp ball point, then buffed it. It's slow on truly hard grain, but it works.

NeilS
13th October 2007, 03:03 PM
An idea that might be useful for someone is to make your own soldering iron stamp. One of the subjects that I studied at art school was printmaking, which included etching… a process that used acid to eat away the exposed areas of the print plate. In that application the protected and un-etched areas of the copper or zinc plate became the white (or whatever was the colour of the paper) and the rough etched areas held the ink. The same process can be used to make your own soldering iron stamp, but the raised masked areas become the branding surface and the deep etched away areas remain unburnt. You will probably need to tidy up any under-etched edges with a dremel. Progressive masking of the exposed shoulders will reduce the under-etching. It’s a simple process BUT take care to inform yourself of the significant safety issues with using strong acids and etching baths. For a discussion on etching compared to hand engraving stamps see: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/5c48864836d29f64/7aa0189bf5041ec4%237aa0189bf5041ec4 Hope this is helpful to someone. Neil

scooter
13th October 2007, 06:02 PM
Interesting idea, Neil, thanks for that :)

Cheers..............Sean