PDA

View Full Version : foot powered bowl lathe vs electric which is fastest?

robin wood
15th October 2007, 08:22 PM
here is a video of a fun race a friend and I had last weekend, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDgIGzw4VtA

more wooden bowls on a foot powere lathe www.robin-wood.co.uk/index

Book on history of wooden bowl http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/book.htm

rsser
15th October 2007, 08:58 PM
Nice one Robin! Thanks for the post.

echnidna
15th October 2007, 08:59 PM
Great job Robin :2tsup:

damienhazo
15th October 2007, 09:09 PM
Excellent! I'm one of those people who are quite happy to use bowls, but have absolutely no idea where they come from:D

TTIT
16th October 2007, 12:11 AM
Pretty cool video Robin.:U What else have you got up your sleeve:; Oh - and welcome to the forum!

Rippa
16th October 2007, 01:04 AM
Very good video Robin look forward to the next one :2tsup:

Rippa

rhancock
16th October 2007, 09:41 AM
Good work, Robin.

It was interesting to see that the guy with the dangerously electric lathe was wearing full protective gear, and you seemed to have a t shirt on! Do you find foot powered lathes less dangerous?

I also note that you are thinner than your electron powered opponent, and that your lathe has very little embedded energy compared to the earth destroying machine!

wheelinround
16th October 2007, 10:16 AM
:2tsup::2tsup: Top one and welcome

now about the tools used I could see the other fellows easily enough but yours a bit harder to make out

orraloon
16th October 2007, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the site Robin.
Good to see the old ways can hold up in todays world.
Looking forward to seeing more of you'r work. I saw an article you did some time ago on the Mary Rose turned items. Good stuff.

Regards
John

echnidna
16th October 2007, 01:32 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: Top one and welcome

now about the tools used I could see the other fellows easily enough but yours a bit harder to make out

Have a look on his website (http://www.robin-wood.co.uk/index.htm) wheelin, theres some good closeup pics

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2007, 06:02 PM
I can't help but wonder what the results would've been if you'd swapped lathes? :innocent:

Harry72
16th October 2007, 06:03 PM
Thats pretty cool!

ss_11000
17th October 2007, 01:02 AM
pretty cool video:2tsup:

robin wood
17th October 2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed it, I gues you can see we did too. My tools are home made hook tools based on old designs I have seen in museums, there are some photos on my website if you are interested.

If we swopped lathes? I would loose...every so often at conferences someone thinks it will be fun to get the foot power turner to try the power lathe..normally on the biggest lathe around with the biggest lump of wood...I am always terified.

Is foot power safer? yes, if I have a big dig in it just stops.

Is it more eco freindly?...probably not really, we both drove to the site in our vans...five minutes in a car probably burns more fossil fuels than a day at the lathe. Both score over pottery bowls which take significant power to fire them.

I work this way because I find it very satisfying...I enjoy that when I stop I can hear the birds without having to switch my machines off first. I like the direct conection with the craftsmen down the ages who have worked this way and developed the techniques and also the direct connection with the wood, the tree and the forest where it grew things I would not feel if I bought kiln dried wood blanks.

rhancock
17th October 2007, 09:05 AM
Is it more eco freindly?...probably not really, we both drove to the site in our vans...five minutes in a car probably burns more fossil fuels than a day at the lathe. Both score over pottery bowls which take significant power to fire them.

I work this way because I find it very satisfying...I enjoy that when I stop I can hear the birds without having to switch my machines off first. I like the direct conection with the craftsmen down the ages who have worked this way and developed the techniques and also the direct connection with the wood, the tree and the forest where it grew things I would not feel if I bought kiln dried wood blanks.

It is much more eco friendly! To get an electric lathe to your door, before you switch it on, requires the extraction of large amounts of material from the earth (1 tonne of steel requires about 14 tonnes of ore, from memory). The ore then goes through an energy and water intensive process to turn it into steel, which is then transported to wherever its made in an oil powered ship, and then more energy is used to turn it into individual parts, and then much more energy is used to transport it to you.

Your homemade wooden lathe probably required a little oil to transport the wood to you, which you could overcome by using local wood. The materials are 100% renewable and to ensure your material use is material you just need to ensure that the product lasts longer than it took to grow the trees to produce it.

This is the main reason I'm interested in human powered tools. The other in your words is "I can hear the birds without having to switch my machines off first"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th October 2007, 03:59 PM
If we swopped lathes? I would loose...every so often at conferences someone thinks it will be fun to get the foot power turner to try the power lathe..normally on the biggest lathe around with the biggest lump of wood...I am always terified.

I wouldn't so sure of that. Not in a fair contest... like swapping the two lathes in the vid.

I've a treadle lathe and I find it's hilarious watching power-turners try to use it - some are seriously "balance impaired." :rolleyes: Then throw in the reciprocating action, where most turners are used to "just stick the tool in and it'll cut"... ie. You already know how to present the tools, they've gotta learn how to not cut (or back-cut) on the return stroke. So I reckon you'd have a fighting chance. :2tsup:

I work this way because I find it very satisfying...

That's all the reason you need isn't it? The rest is just bonus - but a great bonus!

rsser
17th October 2007, 04:16 PM
Good bowl shape too Robin (the one in the vid.)

Skew, how does a treadly cope with our hardwoods? Slow?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th October 2007, 04:36 PM
Skew, how does a treadly cope with our hardwoods? Slow?

Not very well with the dried woods - not so much slow as very stop/start. Even the lightest cuts can "dig in" enough to slip the belt. On the other hand, green woods cut beautifully.

Of course, it could all simply be my lack of proficiency... and the fact I'm using SWMBO's stockings instead of a proper leather belt. :B