PDA

View Full Version : Leda or Carba-Tec MC1018

slopech4
18th October 2007, 01:02 AM
Hi All,

I would like to get into wood turning and I thought a good place to start is with a mini-lathe. My first projects would be pens, then we will see where we go from there...

I have been reading the posts and have come to the conclusion that the Leda MC1018 is a good choice. But Carba-Tec (a few mins from work) sell a "Economy Mini Lathe" MC1018 ($259). Looks exactly the same as the Leda except different stickers...

Are they the same lathe?

Cheers

hughie
18th October 2007, 07:35 AM
Hi, welcome to the mad house...watch out some of the imates are trying to take over :U

MC1018 is one of the generics by the look of it. Different badge and colour, if you look around you might find any number of ''same lathe different badge''

They are a good entry point lathe, cast iron, all the basics you need to kick off. As an owner of a generic [ not this size] I find they work well for the price paid. They are capable of producing award winning pieces, its all up to the turner.

Alot of turners have done exactly what you are contemplating and have since progressed up to more serious equipment.

But dont forget to allow for $$$ for such things as bandsaws,maybe chainsaw,dust collection, and turning tools. If you do a search of the forum there is heaps of info on DIY gear for turning, some serious $$$ can be saved if you handy at this sort of thing.

Good luck look forward to seeing some pics of your efforts :2tsup:

this is the only legally sanctioned addiction :U that I know of.

lubbing5cherubs
18th October 2007, 07:49 AM
I got the leda love her to bits she has been wonderful reliable. I do know another pen turner that had the carbetec and it was shedding belts so they had return it and got a mini jet. So each to their own but my leda was a ripper and still is my kids are still using her to turn pens and what ever else she a ripper. We had a stage of vibration with her but it was not the machine the table was not sturdy enough. but that is the only trouble I have had.
hth
Toni

slopech4
18th October 2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for your feedback...

After some more research on the web I have found the following site.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/burtgroup/product-detailMbqnYXtjbJHo/China-Wood-Lathe-W30-MC1018-.html

I wonder if all the variants of the MC-1018 come from this "Burt group" factory. I also found that the same factory produces the MC-900...

jchappo
18th October 2007, 07:25 PM
Like several others on the forum, I have the Leda and am very pleased with it.
the Carbatec might be sourced from the same factory, but has a different drive shaft - the Leda is 1" x 10tpi, the Carbatec is M30 x 3.5.
You might want to look at both machines to see if there is any appreciable difference in build quality.
The only source of Leda that I know of in Sydney is MIK in Emu Plains (only half an hour down the M4).

blackwoods
18th October 2007, 08:32 PM
I have had the Leda for about 3 years and really only use for turnaround weekends. It has worked well and would recommend the brand. I think I paid $319, so todays price cannot be beaten. I saw the Carbatec copy at the Melb Wood Show for $219 last weekend and apart from the colour I would not have known the difference.

Barry.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th October 2007, 08:44 PM
The castings have all more or less come from the same factory and the "rebadgers" fit their own motors, etc... the better "rebadgers" also clean up and remachine the castings for better tolerances.

From personal experience I'd say that the Leda has the better motor, but the JETs have better fittings such as the locking levers. Both are good value for what they are. (But I bought a Leda and then sourced replacement levers from a JET supplier. That's cheaper than buying a JET and replacing the motor... :rolleyes:) FWIW, the few problems I've had with the Leda have all been my own damned fault. She's a lovely little lathe. :2tsup:

As for the CT badged model, I suspect it's slightly lesser quality - but this is based solely on hear-say from other people. I've never actually used one or pulled one apart to check it out.

slopech4
2nd November 2007, 09:37 PM
So after considering all the advice from everyone, I have decided to get the Ledacraft MC1018.

And it is great :2tsup:.

I got it from the good ppl at MIK international, got the whole kit. Lathe, 6 chisels & all the pen turning gear needed.

I have made 2 pens also, the first isn't real nice. But since it is my very first turning EVER and it is cylindrical in shape, I thought I did quite well :U. The second pen (tiger myrtle) was better since I figured out which bushings I was supposed to use plus no tearout... thanks to the skew.

Both were finished by sanding from 150 down to 12000 using ordinary sandpaper and that micro mesh stuff. Then I buffed some old furniture wax on it I found in the shed.

Anyway, I do have a question for you experts, My Leda has developed a squeaky squeak noise which seems to come from the belt. There seems to be more squeaks when the motor gets warmer. Any ideas?

Chris.

hughie
2nd November 2007, 10:43 PM
you experts, My Leda has developed a squeaky squeak noise which seems to come from the belt. There seems to be more squeaks when the motor gets warmer. Any ideas?

Chris,

Squeaky belts either mis-alignment or not tight enough, or perhaps both. Some times it can be frayed or wear due to rough finish on the pulleys.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd November 2007, 10:45 PM
It might seem a bit silly, but double-check that the belt isn't misaligned on the pulleys. eg. running on #4 on the bottom but #3 on the top. (Easily done, esp. if you change speeds in a hurry, working solely by "feel." :B)

Try giving just the belt a squirt of WD-40 to see if the squeak goes away temporarily. (Use WD-40, not a more permanent lube. WD-40 won't harm the belt and quickly wears off afterwards.) If it does, it may simply be incorrectly tensioned - both too tight and too loose can cause squeaks.

Edit: beaten to the mark by Hughie! :D

lubbing5cherubs
3rd November 2007, 01:14 AM
that happened to me that squeak sound for my lathe it was the little grub screw came loose on the belt pulleys so it was moving back and forth.
HTH
Toni

slopech4
10th November 2007, 11:29 AM
Ok,

I checked the alignment, the belt is correctly positioned.

Checked the grub screws, they are tight.

I noticed some sawdust jammed in the belt, so I got a brush and while manually turning the spindle I cleaned it out... And no more squeaks.

.... BUT ...

After a running it for a while, the squeaks appear again. And again I can see sawdust trapped in the belt.

Could this be because of the belt being too tight or not enough? How do you tell how tight to lock the belt down?

BTW thanks everyone for their advice thus far, this forum rocks :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
10th November 2007, 02:10 PM
You should be able to deflect the belt 10mm either way with moderate pressure

artme
11th November 2007, 10:06 PM
Sounds like you might have a dust flow problem that leads to it getting trapped in the belt/pulley area from what you say about your own investigations. See if you can find out where the dust might be gettig in and then try to seal up the entry points.
If you stop the dust but end up stll getting the squeaks try rubb soap on the belt with the lathe runn at its lowest speed - keepfingers weel clear.
Failing all this - set a mouse trap!:U:U:D

joe greiner
13th November 2007, 12:56 AM
The original belt may just be a low-quality part. Take the belt with you to an auto parts shop, for a possibly better replacement. Buy two as insurance when/if the belt breaks when stores are closed.

[And welcome aboard.]

Joe

hughie
13th November 2007, 06:15 AM
The original belt may just be a low-quality part. Take the belt with you to an auto parts shop, for a possibly better replacement. Buy two as insurance when/if the belt breaks when stores are closed.

Good advise, my original belt was a total failure very quickly. It was very poorly made.

Yep and I have a spare belt........:U