PDA

View Full Version : Raising headstock/tailstock

Grumpy John
18th October 2007, 06:05 PM
Hi All
For a while now I've been considering making a 50mm packer to raise my headstock and tailstock so I will be able to turn larger diameter bowls. I have a Jet 1642 with a 1.5 hp motor (electronic variable speed high/low range). My question is will the 1.5 hp motor have the grunt to handle the extra forces required to turn a larger diameter bowl?

Any advice or personal experience of doing this will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
GJ

Jim Carroll
18th October 2007, 06:18 PM
On the Nova lathes they have a 1.5hp motor which can turn 740mm. Dont know how efficient the motor is on the jet but still should not be too much trouble. Just a matter of picking the right speed to start with.

rsser
18th October 2007, 06:18 PM
Hi John, should be fine. You may need to take it a bit slower or use smaller cuts.

TTIT
18th October 2007, 11:31 PM
John - Why not slide the headstock to the tail end of the bed and turn even larger diameters???? Would be a lot easier to set up an outboard toolrest for that than to raise the head and tailstocks :shrug: (or have I missed something here??) If the motor starts to struggle just take lighter cuts :shrug: but I reckon it would manage.

Grumpy John
19th October 2007, 06:10 PM
John - Why not slide the headstock to the tail end of the bed and turn even larger diameters???? Would be a lot easier to set up an outboard toolrest for that than to raise the head and tailstocks :shrug: (or have I missed something here??) If the motor starts to struggle just take lighter cuts :shrug: but I reckon it would manage.

Vern This is on the cards too, however it's a very quick job to make up a couple of packers and extend the clamp screws to suit. At the moment I am not set up to do outboard turning as I have taken the lathe off it's cast iron legs, but I plan on making a rig similar to the vicmarc one in the not too distant future.

Cheers
GJ