PDA

View Full Version : Bowl with Flutes

Fredo
21st October 2007, 09:58 AM
Hi Guys

Been mucking about with my router jig, first time I've been able to cut flutes on both internal and external surfaces of a bowl. This bowl, not a great wood (english elm) is about 260mm dia by about 70mm high. Finished with macadamia nut oil. What are your thoughts?
OK,:U or overdone:no:....be honest...:o

Fredo

orraloon
21st October 2007, 12:28 PM
Fredo,
This is just my 2c worth. The fluting while very well done detracts from the functionallity of the bowl being on the inside. I am impressed with the process and would like to see pickies of the jig set up. The elm wood looks good to.

Regards
John

Frank&Earnest
21st October 2007, 12:44 PM
A router can beat you at carving, but is no match for your creativity.:wink:

rsser
21st October 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice technique Fredo. A side view would be good.

The flutes do kindof interfere with the grain flow though.

(I think English elm is underrated as a turning timber; I like the stuff except that it lightens up over time to a boring beige).

ss_11000
21st October 2007, 08:33 PM
I rekon it looks great but maybe too many flutes on the rim:shrug:

cheers

Richard Findley
21st October 2007, 09:36 PM
Hi,

Elm's pretty hard to get hold of over here, I recon I could find a home for it if you're not keen:;!!

I always think that decoration is best in moderation. If you'd done the rim and left it at that it would have been a real success. That said, if it was just an experiment it came out really well and I bet you learned a lot doing it too:2tsup:!

Would love to see the jig you used.... but be warned: the idea may be stolen:U!!

Cheers

Richard

rsser
21st October 2007, 09:54 PM
We have a lot of elm in streets and public parks Richard; not decimated by the beetle.

Many however are overmature and the authorities have a plan for culling. Hope the stuff doesn't get chipped which appears to have become the favourite method of dispatching unwanted timber in our city.

Hardenfast
22nd October 2007, 09:55 AM
Most excellent work, Master Fredo.

Like Richard I would love to have a look at your jig when you have time. I'm quite fascinated as to how you follow the round of the bowl, both internally & externally.

Wayne

ihog
22nd October 2007, 10:18 AM
I also would like to see the jig. Did you use a trim router or a big boy?

OGYT
22nd October 2007, 11:24 AM
Fredo, I like it. Tremendous! I like the wood, too. I thought it was Black Walnut 'til I red your post. The fluting makes it look very elegant, tho' I would probably have put a few less on the rim... Should be sitting in a gallery somewhere.
I would also like to see your jig setup. I'm guessing a router with depth stop and smaller baseplate is part of it.???

Fredo
22nd October 2007, 10:15 PM
John, Wayne and OGYT - Don't have pics of the jig yet, still working on this contraption at the moment (looks a bit like a thingamajig) it really needs more time to evolve... Will post pics eventually.

F&E - Why...thankyou

Ern - Yeah, elm turns OK, this piece is fairly dark, which looks reasonably good. I do have some which is much lighter and very ordinary.

Richard and Stirlo - Thanks, it was an experiment and I am getting the hang of it (Ern's right, plenty of elm here in Oz, Richard)

Ihog - Yep, I use a basic trim router.

OGYT - Thanks, I like it too, I wasn't sure at first but the more I see it the better I like it.

Pics: Here's a few more things I've attacked with a router.

Fredo :U

TTIT
22nd October 2007, 10:36 PM
Was so undecided about the bowl I didn't end up posting but that platter in the 3rd pic - love it :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Just the right amount of detail for my tastes.
Nice work on the others too Fredo :U

ss_11000
22nd October 2007, 11:36 PM
Pure Class mate. You've sure got that turquise colouring down pat:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2007, 12:13 AM
I like the platter in the fifth pic... how did you remove the spline assembly from the clutch plate? :innocent:

joe greiner
23rd October 2007, 01:32 AM
I'm not too keen on the inside flutes; for a functional bowl especially, they'd seem to attract small particles of the contents.

But the rim on the last pic 5 definitely rings my bell. Well done. ("Clutch plate" indeed!)

Joe

Fredo
23rd October 2007, 07:40 AM
Vern - that's one of my favourites too. It's quite a large bowl-platter about 600mm diameter. It was donated to the ACT Woodcraft Guild as part of first prize in our raffle, at the Timber and Working with Wood Show. First prize was won by none other than Jim Carroll from Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies.

Skew and Joe - as an ex-mechanic could their possibly be a subliminal link :;

Richard Findley
23rd October 2007, 08:13 AM
Top job Fredo, considering this jig of yours is still a work in progress it seems to be working just fine:;!!!

Loving your work:2tsup:

Cheers,

Richard

orraloon
23rd October 2007, 02:11 PM
Fredo,
Looking forwards to the jig pics. The first bowl you put up at the beginning of the thread was not quite to my taste but the rest of the items are first class. The platters are tops. Those sun emblems are just right.

Regards
John

Frank&Earnest
23rd October 2007, 03:01 PM
I find somewhat comforting that the comments to your excellent work, Fredo, seem to indicate that my aesthetic preferences are not totally out of whack.:D

Best: #6, then, in descending order, more or less for the reasons already said by others:
#1then the IMHO less than excellent ones, because:
#2 the flutes do not add anything to the line (and destroy functionality if they go through the wall, but they don't, do they?)
#5 "natural look" and stylized decor don't go together.

Given that you did not post these in the "pictures for criticism" thread I hope I am not overstepping the mark by offering these comments... if so, I do apologise.:wink:

Rookie
23rd October 2007, 06:22 PM
No offense meant, but just reading the first few responses to Fredo's use of his router jig for the first time made me think of the Charlie Brown comic where he wrote to his mum from summer camp.

"Dear? Mom? Today? we? learnt? how? to? write? question? marks?

But I like them. The first thing I thought when I looked at the first post was "Egyptian". Like it though.

Fredo
23rd October 2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm open to input, positive or negative, in any post. I realise that these turnings may not be to everyone's taste. I (like everyone else) attempt to do my best but there is always room for improvement. Thanks again and enjoy your turning.

graham4562
29th December 2007, 01:01 PM
Hi.....I have been trying to do the same with no luck.
Any picks of the jig you used to hold trimmer.

Graham

Evan Pavlidis
29th December 2007, 04:32 PM
John, Wayne and OGYT - Don't have pics of the jig yet, still working on this contraption at the moment (looks a bit like a thingamajig) it really needs more time to evolve... Will post pics eventually.

F&E - Why...thankyou

Ern - Yeah, elm turns OK, this piece is fairly dark, which looks reasonably good. I do have some which is much lighter and very ordinary.

Richard and Stirlo - Thanks, it was an experiment and I am getting the hang of it (Ern's right, plenty of elm here in Oz, Richard)

Ihog - Yep, I use a basic trim router.

OGYT - Thanks, I like it too, I wasn't sure at first but the more I see it the better I like it.

Pics: Here's a few more things I've attacked with a router.

Nice work Fredo :2tsup: :2tsup:. That 3rd bowl is a stunner and the turquoise really sets off the others. Those mallee burls really do come up nice. Thanks for the inspiration mate, now I'm going to start adding a bit of color in my work too as an experiment at first.

tea lady
29th December 2007, 08:13 PM
Hello. what they said, +
(I hope its OK to add my thought to the others, I'm a potter not a wood turner- yet)
I think the fifth bowl works well because there is space as well as busyness in balance, delineated by the color. Having every surface fluted kind'o fights with the grain in the wood, but may in fact look better when the wood does fade to its boring pale color. Then the light and shadow of the fluting will be more prominent. Its a bit lost on the dark colour.
The first bowl to me looks nearly like you stopped to soon. Keep going. All fluting all he way.:2tsup:
I love the generous proportions.

Manuka Jock
29th December 2007, 08:50 PM
Fredo ,
I like the look of them .
Beyond bowls and platters , and onto wall plaques eh:)
Is it possible to router up curved inlays ? Filling up those trenches with contrasting wood may return them to bowl status :D

Either way I like 'em .
cheers ,
Jock

groverwa
28th March 2008, 01:26 PM
Fredo

Just wondering how the pics of your fluting jig are going as I am starting my woodturning hobby again after a long break and am hoping to do a lot of hollow turning with fluting

I also have mobs of rough turned sheoak - Allocasuarina Fraserana - that can benefit from fluting also

PM if you want to

Regards

Mike

Mobil Man
28th March 2008, 03:49 PM
Very nice looking items. Wish I lived next door--I'd be spying on ya.

Ad de Crom
28th March 2008, 07:17 PM
Fredo, I find it very attractive, something else than a normal bowl.
For me the flutes shows well, and are made with precision.
Like it to see the rig.

Great work!! :2tsup: