PDA

View Full Version : Help Please?

bundyrum68
25th October 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

Turned a small bowl and lid the other day out of an old fence post.
Question is the lid has some external cracks in it and I was wandering how/what is the best way to clean them up & finish. I have tried blowing out with compressed air but still seams to have sanding residue in there.
:~

Steve

orraloon
25th October 2007, 03:26 PM
Steve,
Perhaps an old toothbrush with white spirit before applying a finish. I would be inclined to leave it as it is. It makes a good feature.

Regards
John

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th October 2007, 04:28 PM
Did you treat 'em with CA to prevent the cracks spreading?

Not much chance of cleaning any swarf out then... :no:

joe greiner
25th October 2007, 10:33 PM
What they said. Pack them with more sanding dust and CA; lightly sand flush (by hand). With the lighter contrast, makes a nice design feature.

Joe

OGYT
26th October 2007, 02:33 PM
'lo Steve. What they said. It's a lot of work, by hand. The best time to do the cracks is before you take it off the lathe.
When it's on the lathe, I CA the cracks, follow with a quick wipe to clear away the excess, and then turn on the lathe an sand it... stop the lathe, check it out, and do it again if necessary... repeat all that... 5 or 6 times sometimes to get the cracks filled.
You could just leave 'em like they are...

hughie
26th October 2007, 05:20 PM
. I have tried blowing out with compressed air but still seams to have sanding residue in there.
:~

Steve,
What pressure are you running your compressor at? Are you using a gun?

Cos I use air also , but run the comp over 100psi towards 120-130 and use a gun with a small hole ie around 1-1.5mm. To date its done a great job.

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2007, 07:55 PM
Steve,
What pressure are you running your compressor at? Are you using a gun?

Cos I use air also , but run the comp over 100psi towards 120-130 and use a gun with a small hole ie around 1-1.5mm. To date its done a great job.

Another point to follow on from hughie's, are you blowing it out before sealing, because once you put a coat on you have zero chance of getting the residue out

littlebuddha
28th October 2007, 01:26 AM
cracks small deap thin CA then fill the gaps with car body filler, you can add acrylic paint of whatever colour to the car filler, then sand back once dry, you can get car radiator filler which is black to start, you can always add brass, aluminum or copper fillings to the filler or just use the metal fillings with CA glue, add rice to the car filler alsorts of things you can do to fill and bring out to best affect. LB.

http://WWW.shapewood.co.uk