PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned

Rustic
24th October 2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Folks,

I guess I just learned one of woodturning lessons. She who must be obeyed is very jealous of the time I spend between "Her "garden and "My" turning. I'd spent the day in the garden and all was quiet from indoors so I crept into the workshop and set up in the chuck, a bit of branch wood about 200mm long by 60mm dia. Trying to hurry to get a bit done before further orders, I forgot to wind in the live end in the tail stock. I now have split lips too thick for me to whistle the dog, if I had one. Luckily I broke no teeth nor my nose.

I am telling this to warn some of our other newcomers to turning who I have seen signed on lately, to be careful and think through the process before pressing the button.

Regards Sid

antman
24th October 2003, 04:41 PM
Yes, it is an interesting ratio. 1 day in garden to 10 minutes in shed :D

Hope you are on the mend....
Anthony

DavidG
24th October 2003, 05:30 PM
Put on the Triton respirator first and laugh at anything trying to give you a thick lip.:D :D :D :D

Spike
24th October 2003, 11:24 PM
I was alway's instructed and have practiced to stand to one side of the lathe when pressing the green button. No matter how you think you have secured the item to be turned (chucked, screwed, glued...whatever) when its turned on at say 1200 revs ANYTHING can hapen...Murphys law.

Good practice for new comers to adopt. Stand to one side when starting the lathe. I even do it for pen blanks:D

Cheers
Spike

David T
24th October 2003, 11:42 PM
Rustic,
2 years ago my father was setting up his new Nova lathe, for some reason he started the lathe before adequately securing a piece of 500 x 40 timber which then neatly took out his right eye. The only positive result of this was to make me vigilant about eye protection. (I wear my triton helmet to get the mail). He sold the lathe (no room in my shed).

David