PDA

View Full Version : Finish for high humidity area...

Wood
27th October 2003, 09:38 PM
I've been asked to make a cabinet for storing towels in a spa room, the spa room is obviously a very damp area, can anyone suggest a good finish that would last...
I'm thinking of an oil finish rather then a varnish???

Justin
27th October 2003, 09:55 PM
If you didn't prefer an oil finish, marine grade varnish would be the first thing that springs to my mind.

Toymaker Len
28th October 2003, 08:12 AM
I think spas and saunas usually use all raw cedar. No finish to stuff up...

DarrylF
28th October 2003, 08:07 PM
I think you're right there Len. I think I remember reading somewhere about using a penetrating oil finish (BLO maybe?) on western red cedar in wet areas? Could easily be wrong :)

Wood: seems the choice is either use a wood that will withstand the moisture by itself, and either not finish it or use a finish/protectant that doesn't seal the surface, or use another timber and seal the surface completely using a marine varnish etc. Depends what timber you want to use and what look you want I guess.

Don't forget the glue either - and the fasteners too I guess. PVA and standard screws and you're going to wind up with a mess in a few months :)

Wood
29th October 2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the replies-

I've been asked to make it out of Victoria Ash , to match the rest of the furniture throughout the house, like you said Len, cedar would be the best choice of timber. (Might be able to change there minds :rolleyes:

DarrylF- I was going to use Av260 Two Pack crosslinking PVA
glue and probably stainless fasteners.
All the hinges on the entrance doors to the spa room and the chrome tapes have started to corrode!

Justin- Yes a marine grade varnish is a obvious choice but with time and wear and tear I think even marine varnish would not last— maybe I’m just paranoid…….

Info for AV260 Glue (http://www.avsyntec.com.au/TB/TB-adh-crosslinked.htm)

DarrylF
29th October 2003, 07:39 PM
I'd be trying to change their minds :) Besides the durability, cedar has a very pleasant smell when left raw IMHO - when used in a sauna/spa room.

If the screws are going to be hidden you might be able to use the type designed for use outdoors on treated pine? Basically powder coated I think. I'd go stainless personally.

AlexS
29th October 2003, 09:21 PM
I'd be very concerned about using Vic Ash in a sauna...based on my experience of it in a damp area, I'd expect it to go furry and an unattractive grey. It's a nice timber, but not for that situation.
Go for the cedar, I reckon.

Shane Watson
29th October 2003, 10:39 PM
PVA & Vic Ash not suitable in that environment! fullstop! Even if the PVA is AV260...do some research on AV Syntecs website for there suggestions in high humidity environments.

Wood
30th October 2003, 07:35 PM
Cedar it is, if they don't like that idea they can find someone else! Full Stop!