PDA

View Full Version : New dyed hollow form

GeorgeK
31st October 2007, 04:08 PM
Thought I'd stop in and drop off a pic of one of the hollow forms I just completed.
Curly maple, about 6" X6" and all the pieces are maple either dyed or colored by other means. Foot was added as an after thought and still don't know if I like it..
I have some dyed platters and more hollow forms that I just finished if you want to view them let me know and I'll post them for you.

Comments welcome, good or bad. :U

wheelinround
31st October 2007, 04:16 PM
I like it even the foot

I would like to know more re the dyed woods you mentioned and the finish used? is it acrylic ? brushed or sprayed?

ss_11000
31st October 2007, 04:55 PM
Awesome work mate:2tsup:

I also like the foot.

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2007, 09:56 PM
just drop dead gorgeous. Very nice indeed. Greenie launched
Toni

TTIT
1st November 2007, 12:55 AM
Very impressive looking piece George :2tsup: Must have a play with some color myself 'one day' :;

?? Are you familiar with the Inland Northwest woodturners guild or is that a different part of the US from where you are??

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st November 2007, 12:56 AM
Can I ask how you dyed the finial and foot?

They almost look metallic in the pix. Very, very nice...

GeorgeK
1st November 2007, 04:10 AM
The base was dyed with Trans-Tint brand dye. First sanded to 600 then dyed dark blue sanded 400 then dyed black sanded to 600 again then sprayed with 4 coats of lacquer , steel wooled the waxed. The white areas are where the wood didn't take the dye too well but it gave the piece a different kind of look. The finial and insert were dyed also but I didn't like the look so I cheated and took a black felt tip pen and colored the pieces. Then shot lacquer on them.
The hollow form was sanded to 400 before dying and then as each coat of dye was being applied I sanded up to 1200. Six coats of lacquer then steelwooled, waxed and buffed by hand.

TTIT,
not familiar with the Inland Northwest woodturners guild , must be elsewhere.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st November 2007, 08:28 PM
Wow!

And I thought I was being particular by applying two coats of Shellawax. :D

joe greiner
1st November 2007, 11:34 PM
Very fine work, George. Interesting how the dye is absorbed irregularly. Much better than straight coloring. I like the foot, too, but the finial seems somewhat more busy than needed.

AAW Resource Guide lists Inland Northwest Woodturners in Cheney WA - next to Idaho. Bremerton is across Puget Sound from Seattle. Bit of a hike. And, y'know mates, we here get lessons in Oz geography from the forum too. ;)

Joe

hughie
2nd November 2007, 06:22 AM
George,

Yup I 'll go with the rest. :2tsup: Theres a uniqueness about what you have achieved, well done

TTIT
2nd November 2007, 09:20 AM
............AAW Resource Guide lists Inland Northwest Woodturners in Cheney WA - next to Idaho. Bremerton is across Puget Sound from Seattle. Bit of a hike. And, y'know mates, we here get lessons in Oz geography from the forum too. ;)

JoeThanks Joe - I'm doing a timber trade with them at the moment and thought George might have been involved :shrug: