PDA

View Full Version : 1st Commission..........

Stu in Tokyo
1st November 2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I finally got this one done, out the door today, I hope............

59161 59162 59163

I know the pics are NOT stellar, but I only had my cell phone to work with :doh:

The middle part is real gold leaf, did not turn out as well as I had hoped, but I still think it looks OK.

The wood is Red Keyaki, commissioned for the land owner where I took the wood from, I hope they like it.

Which brings us to the second commission, this one is for the younger brother of the first one, when he heard his older brother had commissioned me to make a piece from wood from their land, well former land, as they had to sell it to cover the death tax:no: he wanted a piece as well, so here it is.................

59164 59165 59166

Same wood, Red Keyaki, horrible stuff to work with, the dust makes you sneeze (got to wear the triton PR and run the cyclone) dulls your tools in a minute or less and is hard enough to ring like a bell, but it sure looks nice :D

This HF is down to about 2 -3 mm thick everywhere except the bottom, which I left around 5mm just for the weight, so it would sit better.

Cheers!

floobyduster
1st November 2007, 05:28 PM
Nice job Stu. I love the grain in both pieces. Are they just ornamental or do they have another purpose as well?

munruben
1st November 2007, 05:32 PM
Nice job Stu. I love the grain in both pieces. Are they just ornamental or do they have another purpose as well?
Glad you asked that. Iwasn't quite sure what they were but they do look terrific.:2tsup:

BernieP
1st November 2007, 05:47 PM
G'Day Stu

Nice stuff, what finish? Also is there any significance in the shape.

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 06:30 PM
Stu these are stunning simple pieces which obviously mean a lot to their owners.

The gold looks impressive

I am surprised these are your first commission pieces

Ray

Stu in Tokyo
1st November 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks

Yep, my first commissions, I've not sold a lot of stuff, I'm still at the "Giving it away to friends and family" stage, but I have had some inquires if I'll do commissions, and if I want to put stuff on the shelf in shops for sale. Best I get around to doing that, but I have to say, I'm stupid busy as it is, and taking one yet another business, well I dunno :roll:

The pieces are strictly artsy-fartsy stuff, that is what they wanted, they want something they can "Display" not something to "use".

The finish is sanded to #320, then several coats of lacquer sanding sealer, then sanded to #600. Next is about 4 coats of Melamine Lacquer, hand applied. I let it dry for a few days, then I start the buffing with the white diamond, I have found starting with the brown tripoli is too much for this wood. The after the white diamond, I wax it and buff it. The wood is VERY grainy, and even with all that finish on there, you can still see the grain through the finish, but I like that. I did another piece of this a while back, and I put about 20 coats of rattle can lacquer on it, light sanding between each coat, waited about 3 weeks to buff it, and I did get a nice smooth glossy finish, but, I don't like it at all, looks fake, too "plastic" if that makes sense. These are made from wood, so what is wrong with them looking like wood? :;

Anyway, I hope to get in touch with the customer today, but it seems unlikely now (almost 7 PM here) so hopefully tomorrow.

I really want these two pieces behind me, kind of a crossing over point, heck even my wife will now acknowledge that some of my stuff is worth something :B :2tsup:

Cheers!

hughie
2nd November 2007, 06:21 AM
Which brings us to the second commission, this one is for the younger brother of the first one, when he heard his older brother had commissioned me to make a piece from wood from their land, well former land, as they had to sell it to cover the death tax:no: he wanted a piece as well, so here it is.................

Stu,

They look fine to me. The shape and form you chose shows off all the attributes of the timber really well, and that is half the battle. :2tsup:

Alot of good looking timbers do not give up thier beauty with out a tussle.:U

ptc
2nd November 2007, 09:05 AM
always like to look at your work.
tops as usual.