PDA

View Full Version : Jointer

DarrylF
30th October 2003, 08:55 PM
Next on the wishlist: a jointer. I've had a thickness planer for a while, but obviously I'm having trouble cleaning up edges on boards and straightening boards.

I'm not looking to run 12" boards or anything, so I'm looking in the 6-8" range. I've been tending towards the 6" to save space.

I've looked at the smaller 6" from Carbatec, at the 6" Jet, and and at a couple of different 6" Chinese machines. Price range is from $300 odd to $900 odd. I'd rather not spend close to a grand on one right now - but I'm not sure how big a step down a $300 non-name is going to be.

Anyone have one? Any experiences/opinions?? Should I take the plunge and go quality now or buy cheaper and upgrade later?

Caliban
30th October 2003, 09:15 PM
Hey Darryl
You know that you're the only one who can answer that question.
Were you happy with the cheap table saw? Would you not have been better to spend the extra?
I'd recommend to buy the best 6" one you can justify, the 8" one is probably superfluous and you survived without one this long. Also the 8" Carbatec has a really long bed, where are you going to put it?
I'm not much help am I? Maybe you should read the thread posted recently about which is better value, a jointer or an expensive hand plane. Very interesting reading and would probably help you decide.
Cheers Jim

DarrylF
30th October 2003, 09:57 PM
Jim,

Without using one it's hard to know how much of a step down one of the cheaper jointers is. The Carbatec does look a little better than the no-name jointers, but enough to justify double the price? Not sure I see it. I think I'd be happy long term with the Jet, but I'm not sure it's enough of a priority right now to justify the money.

I guess it's a similar decision to the lathe - I get a little frustrated with my cheap lathe sometimes, but it was a deliberate decision to buy cheaper earlier and go for a nice machine later, and I don't regret it.

There's not quite the same sort of huge price jump with jointers really, which probably makes it a harder decision :)

Caliban
30th October 2003, 10:05 PM
Darryl
You're right.
Just watch that the really cheap ones have enough oomph. One I saw at gasweld (toolex?) only had a 3/4 hp motor and after about two lengths of timber that would be a pain.
Good luck with the decision. Ain't it great having to decide which toy to buy?
cheers
Jim

craigb
31st October 2003, 09:12 AM
Darryl,

When I bought mine, I looked at the carba-tec and the Jet.

To me the Jet looked likea better quality build, also I prefered the adjustment method - wheels on the Jet as oposed to a lever on the carba-tec - but that's just a personal preferance.

I've had my Jet for about a year now and am very happy with it.
It was a breeze to set-up and the manual that came with it was excellent.

Sure it was more expensive, but I figure I'll never have to buy another jointer and it was only about $150 difference anyway.

I'm certainly not disparaging the carba-tec model just trying to explain why I made my choice.

As for the el-cheapos I have no experince of them so can't comment.

I guess it comes down to how many times do you want to buy a jointer?

Hope that's some help

Craig

PS: The only tools I've ever regretted buying were the cheap ones :)

Pantherx
31st October 2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Darryl,

Purchased Carbatec 8" CTJ-350 jointer a few months ago from the Sydney show for $1000. The extra 2 inches and longer bed is worthwhile. Talked a few of my friends who have 6" jointers and they all say the next jointer will be definitely 8".

At this stage finding the accuracy and performance great for a weekend warrior.

Save your pennies, definitely worth the extra dollars long term.

Cheers.............

craigb
3rd November 2003, 09:47 AM
I would agree that if you have the space then an 8" would be the one to go for.

Craig