PDA

View Full Version : Redgum goblet

scooter
8th November 2007, 09:49 PM
Gday

Those who got to the BBQ may have seen a goblet with a, er, rather heavy base. :D That is, I turned the bowl of a goblet a few months ago, but was having trouble with the bearings in the headstock of my lathe so put it aside & it went on the gunnado list.

My brother is turning 30 in a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd finish it for a pressie for him. Had a couple of cracks in the upper half of the bowl to the rim that got the CA treatment.

Got stuck into it last night, finished it off & made a spiffy presentation box ( :D ) out of old PVC pipe with merbau base & cap, to get it to Orbost in one piece.

Sanded to 320, then 0000 steel wool, EEE, then shellawax glow (thanks Iain :2tsup: ).

Pretty happy with the shape, the best so far for me anyway. The rim of the bowl ended up a bit thinner than I'd have liked. Some tool marks on the underside of the base.

BTW, the merbau for the base & cap of the "box" was fun to turn, coarse grain but really fast cutting. It came from those white painted chunks at the BBQ.

About 180mm high & 2 1/2 dia.

Thanks for looking :)

Cheers................Sean

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2007, 09:55 PM
Nice job Sean, not too sure about the base though, it just doesn't look right with me

chrisb691
8th November 2007, 10:03 PM
Hi Sean,

Love the top and stem, not quite so sure about the base. But that's a very subjective view, and no doubt if I had made it I would view it differently, :D

Great idea with the pvc. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2007, 10:05 PM
Good one.:2tsup:

The real challenge is to make one like it now. :rolleyes:

Pssst... want to borrow a spiralling tool? :D

chrisb691
8th November 2007, 10:17 PM
Good one.:2tsup:

The real challenge is to make one like it now. :rolleyes:

Pssst... want to borrow a spiralling tool? :D
What's a spiralling tool?

EDIT: Ignore the question Cliff, I had a look at the Sorby site.

funkychicken
8th November 2007, 10:23 PM
Good job!

The base is a bit funny but it's still awesome

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2007, 10:42 PM
What's a spiralling tool?

EDIT: Ignore the question Cliff, I had a look at the Sorby site.
'twas a 'in' joke from that last turning get together that I went to with those blokes. :p

I had a spiralling tool & DJ was demo-ing it on anything that moved including a piece that Scooter was working on at the time.
The walls ended up too thin & it came apart. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2007, 10:42 PM
:2tsup:

I had a spiralling tool & DJ was demo-ing it on anything that moved including a piece that Scooter was working on at the time.
The walls ended up too thin & it came apart. :D

You mean Scooter's flower on a stick? :U

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2007, 10:58 PM
'
DJ was demo-ing it on anything that moved

Me:B, nuh you must be thinking of someone else mate :q:U

ss_11000
9th November 2007, 06:53 AM
nice one mate:cool:

TTIT
9th November 2007, 08:42 AM
Nice goblet Sean:2tsup: If your concerned about the 'heavy' look of the base, how about piercing/carving it?!?!? Looks like you've hollowed it enough that it would look really 'light' if you could 'see through' the base :shrug:

Big Shed
9th November 2007, 08:56 AM
Good job Sean, brother should be pleased to receive a hand made gift:2tsup:

Gil Jones
9th November 2007, 09:12 AM
Sean,
Very well done goblet:2tsup:

Elbow
9th November 2007, 10:09 AM
Good one Sean, :2tsup:like the finish but agree with other about the base

Allan

rsser
9th November 2007, 12:36 PM
Lovely figure in it. Nice one.

OGYT
9th November 2007, 03:18 PM
I like it, Nice job on it... I don't have an eye for goblet bases, so I can't say anything about that. :) Tube caps, too! good idea.

scooter
11th November 2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the comments. I don't mind the base but am interested in your feedback.

Brother liked the gift. I was spewing though, when I took it out of the pipe up at Orbost, it had a fine rub mark around the bowl where it had been touching the inside of the (dusty) pipe. Note to self for next time, put a bit of tissue paper around it.

Like the piercing idea, Vern :2tsup:

Cheers...............Sean