PDA

View Full Version : Xmas BBQ Turnfest

Pages : [1] 2

DJ’s Timber
9th November 2007, 11:57 PM
Well it's getting to the end of the year and a few people have express interest in attending a Turnfest at my joint.

So the question is are we up for it? A Xmas breakup BBQ Turnfest.

Weekends in December that would be suitable are,

1st Sat & 2nd Sun
8th Sat & 9th Sun
15th Sat & 16th Sun.

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2007, 12:01 AM
I'd love to but... can't make it. :(

Gil Jones
10th November 2007, 12:29 AM
I would like to go too!!, but is a bit far for a weekend drive.

DJ’s Timber
10th November 2007, 12:50 AM
Come on Gil, it's only a short paddle across the lake :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th November 2007, 12:58 AM
:think::shifty: Dunno. I think my calendar's broke. :whatonearth:

corbs
10th November 2007, 08:28 AM
I think I have a cousin who lives in Warburton... unfortunately I live in Canberra... have a great BBQ guys.

Corbs

hughie
10th November 2007, 02:42 PM
I would like to go too!!, but is a bit far for a weekend drive

dawg gone it Gil, wheres your committment? :U

Big Shed
10th November 2007, 02:59 PM
OK, I'll put my hand up, didn't see the rats' ring option, but I am really not that fussy about the date.
Will fit in with the majority (of 1 at present!), but I suppose earlier in the month rather than later, as the coser to Xmas it gets, the more hectic it gets.

DJ’s Timber
10th November 2007, 03:09 PM
I think I have a cousin who lives in Warburton... unfortunately I live in Canberra... have a great BBQ guys.

Corbs

Com'on Corbie, that's good because then you can overnight at your cousin's place :q:U

thumbsucker
10th November 2007, 03:28 PM
DJ I would be up for it - would love to see some master turners, and learn something at the same time. Any day is fine by me.

Gil Jones
10th November 2007, 04:31 PM
My commitment does not have enough room for the fuel, take a peek.
But maybe I could make it seeing it is all down hill and the boat can just coast:)

chrisb691
10th November 2007, 06:21 PM
Can someone else vote please, it's really lonely at the top. :D

PenTurner
10th November 2007, 07:35 PM
DJ, will love to come, it would have to be a Sunday for me. Amos:) Qld and NSW could easily come, I looked on the map and it is all downhill!!!!:)

Tony Morton
10th November 2007, 08:02 PM
Hi Guys

Its ok Getting down there, but the trip home is a bit uphill mighnt get home to new year. Have a good day and learn plenty.

Cheers Tony

DJ’s Timber
10th November 2007, 08:12 PM
DJ, will love to come, it would have to be a Sunday for me.

You better pick a Sunday on the poll then, for a better chance of it being on a Sunday

Rookie
10th November 2007, 08:14 PM
SWMBO's up in Sidernee at the moment for the next week, so I voted the 9th without even asking her. Cool or what?????:C

rsser
10th November 2007, 08:48 PM
Should be able to do any of the Saturdays at this stage.

Thanks DJ.

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2007, 11:15 PM
..... didn't see the rats' ring option, ......
Shhhh......:no: you can't say that any more.... it's not allowed. :D

rodent
11th November 2007, 07:28 AM
love the shed Gil I want one ILL speak to crazy and jess to see when they want to come .

dai sensei
11th November 2007, 10:20 AM
Pity, I need to get down to Melb again soon, but I'm stuck working up here till the 20th. There are also only a few weekends left before Xmas to get what needs to be done finished.

Have fun you guys.

Groggy
11th November 2007, 01:00 PM
Early Dec is better usually due to the last minute Christmas panic taking the last few weekends up.

scooter
11th November 2007, 11:28 PM
As usual, Sunday suits me best, but that's just me. 9th or 16th good for me.

Thanks DJ...............cheers...............Sean

rsser
12th November 2007, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I could make the 16th if I have my wheels back.

scooter
12th November 2007, 01:17 PM
Correction to my date pref, 9th has a prior engagement so 16th is better, but the umpire has the final word. :)

TTIT
12th November 2007, 06:05 PM
That's it!!! - keep 'em comin' for the 16th - I might be able to work something out and get to one of these do's yet!!!:2tsup:

scooter
12th November 2007, 08:15 PM
Be good if you could get there, Vern :)

Calm
12th November 2007, 09:08 PM
DJ I would be honoured to join you. Any day if fine for me so i will say the 16th is fine by me and a ride for Ern is offered - that makes it a safer bet to get home ok Ern

rodent
19th November 2007, 01:05 PM
Don't worry about skew Crazy , jess and I will kick him out of bed and through him in the back . Then jess can beat him up about the dress post .

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 05:15 PM
Time is running out folks, at the moment its a dead heat for the 9th or the 16th.

So unless we get some more votes coming in, I will be nominating the 16th, as more of the regular attendees can come that day.

Groggy
19th November 2007, 05:43 PM
Time is running out folks, at the moment its a dead heat for the 9th or the 16th.

So unless we get some more votes coming in, I will be nominating the 16th, as more of the regular attendees can come that day.I have no problem with either date (if that helps).

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 06:46 PM
Well, Scooter has just left my place after we took his family for stroll in the river around the corner from my place and he mentioned that he originally voted for the 9th but the missus said that they already had another arrangement for the 9th and he has told me to change his vote to the 16th, so with that done the 16th is obviously the clear winner here.

So lets make it official and call it for the 16th :2tsup:

rsser
19th November 2007, 07:47 PM
Sounds good DJ.

Doughboy
19th November 2007, 07:53 PM
Wedding 1st Dec 120 pax

Wedding 8th Dec 160 pax

Weddings 15 Dec 120 pax and 110 pax

And would you believe

Wedding 22 Dec 90 pax

I think that takes me out of the equation.... sorry

rsser
19th November 2007, 08:07 PM
Ah, doesn't that make you a bigamist Pete?

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 08:10 PM
Right, now that we have the matter of date out of the way, lets work out the times.

How does a 10 o'clock start sound?

Also just to give people an idea of how long it takes to get here, from Ringwood it is 1 hour.

rsser
19th November 2007, 08:12 PM
.. bit longer via Black Spur, Marysville and Reefton :D

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 08:16 PM
.. bit longer via Black Spur, Marysville and Reefton :D

Will you have Jess on the back as well :o

Big Shed
19th November 2007, 08:35 PM
Right, now that we have the matter of date out of the way, lets work out the times.

How does a 10 o'clock start sound?

Also just to give people an idea of how long it takes to get here, from Ringwood it is 1 hour.

A LOT longer from Bendigo, guess we will have to start early:U

(237k according to Google Maps!)

rsser
19th November 2007, 08:52 PM
Will you have Jess on the back as well :o

I've promised Jess a Reefton ride but it will have to wait. It'll take a while to get my riding legs back again :-

scooter
19th November 2007, 09:44 PM
Well, Scooter has just left my place after we took his family for stroll in the river around the corner from my place and he mentioned that he originally voted for the 9th but the missus said that they already had another arrangement for the 9th and he has told me to change his vote to the 16th, so with that done the 16th is obviously the clear winner here.

So lets make it official and call it for the 16th :2tsup:

And a good visit was had by the scooters. :D

Drive time is about 1 hour from Pakenham if that helps anyone else... :D

Groggy
19th November 2007, 10:09 PM
1hr 26mins from Hoppers (give or take a light or two).

TTIT
19th November 2007, 10:48 PM
So lets make it official and call it for the 16th :2tsup:Yaaaaaayyyyy!
Now I've just got to work out how to put it all together and make bookings and such - yuk! I hate organizing me :C
So how long from Tullamarine (if that's still the airport!!:B)????

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 11:03 PM
Yaaaaaayyyyy!
Now I've just got to work out how to put it all together and make bookings and such - yuk! I hate organizing me :C
So how long from Tullamarine (if that's still the airport!!:B)????

Cool :2tsup:, be great if you could make it Vern.

From the airport it would be just over 1 1/2hrs

Waldo
19th November 2007, 11:26 PM
Either the 1st or 15th for me.

DJ’s Timber
19th November 2007, 11:31 PM
Either the 1st or 15th for me.

Sorry Waldo, but the majority of the mob have voted for the 16th and it has been confirmed for that date as per my reply in post 31

Waldo
19th November 2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry Waldo, but the majority of the mob have voted for the 16th and it has been confirmed for that date as per my reply in post 31

So I just read.

RETIRED
20th November 2007, 06:37 AM
Yaaaaaayyyyy!
So how long from Tullamarine (if that's still the airport!!:B)????I can pick you up if you like Vern.

Cliff Rogers
20th November 2007, 07:05 PM
Hey you blokes.... Benny has a lathe now, you should drag him along & corrupt him before he learns how to turn the correct way. :D

thumbsucker
21st November 2007, 12:39 AM
I would love to come however I would need a lift, either from Footscray/Seddon or from any Melbourne Metro train station.

Can anyone help out?

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2007, 08:49 AM
I would love to come however I would need a lift, either from Footscray/Seddon or from any Melbourne Metro train station.

Can anyone help out?

Groggy may be able to help you out here.

thumbsucker
22nd November 2007, 01:14 AM
Groggy may be able to help you out here.

Groggy is giving possible Kiwibrucee a lift and this leaves no room for me, so can anyone else who is coming from Melbourne going Dj's on the 16th? Be able to give me ride if Kiwibrucee goes with Groggy.

I can come half way on public transport it is that last part into the Yarra Valley and beyond that is the trouble.

TTIT
22nd November 2007, 09:57 AM
Anyone passing within cooee of Coburg with a vacant pew on their way to DJ's ????

RETIRED
22nd November 2007, 10:55 AM
I can do a taxi run if you like.

Thumbsucker in Melb, Vern in Coburg. No probs.

Maybe one, I SMOKE.

DJ’s Timber
22nd November 2007, 11:03 AM

Maybe one, I SMOKE.

You're a good man :2tsup:

thumbsucker
22nd November 2007, 11:23 AM
that would be great. I could catch a train to Clifton Hill railway station, which is down from Coburg and just before you turn to go unto the Eastern Freeway on the way to Dj's.

I could be standing on Hoddle street side see map just outside the train station in my blue jacket, holding a sign a piece of wood. Just tell me what time to be their.

TTIT
22nd November 2007, 02:57 PM

Maybe one, I SMOKE.You're a bloody marvel - and 2 years after giving up the durries, I still luv the smell of em' :2tsup:
I don't have an address or anything yet - will let you know as soon as I work it all out.

Grumpy John
22nd November 2007, 05:36 PM
See you guys at 10 on the 16th

Cheers
GJ

PS, Will there be any chocolate ripple cake ?:fingerscrossed:

Anne Munro
23rd November 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi DJ,
I am just new to this forum. I don't live too far away from Warburton and I would like to come to your BBQ and meet other woodturners. Is that OK? If so could you post your address.

DJ’s Timber
23rd November 2007, 11:46 PM
Hi DJ,
I am just new to this forum. I don't live too far away from Warburton and I would like to come to your BBQ and meet other woodturners. Is that OK? If so could you post your address.

You're more than welcome to come along Anne. I won't be posting the address up on the open forum, will PM it to you and everyone else a bit closer to the day.

Anne Munro
23rd November 2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks DJ I will look forward to it.
cheers Anne

DJ’s Timber
6th December 2007, 11:39 PM
Time to bump this thread back up, getting closer to the day :)

I will be providing Meat for the BBQ and the usual refreshments such as coffee, tea and some soft drinks.

Can people indicate here, what they will be bringing along so that we don't double up on things :doh:.

I also have it on good authority that there will be some give aways as well :2tsup:.

Our esteemed host of the forums, U-Beaut (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/) :2tsup: has some stuff for me to pick up next week.

Also Tim from Bowerbird Saved Timber (http://www.bowerbirdtimber.com/) will be coming along for the day and has indicated that he will be bringing some stuff along as well to give away :2tsup:.

I will also need those that want to attend, to confirm by PM to me (http://www.woodworkforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=11243) so that I know how many to cater for and so that I can also PM you my Address as well :doh: :U so that you know where to go.

HappyHammer
7th December 2007, 09:08 AM
Damn shame you guys all live in Mexico...:doh::C

HH.

Calm
7th December 2007, 09:36 AM
Damn shame you guys all live in Mexico...:doh::C

HH.

Whys that we are a freindly lot we pick up at the airport you know.

Just ask and you could be surprised.

Calm
7th December 2007, 09:40 AM
Can people indicate here, what they will be bringing along so that we don't double up on things :doh:.

Dj i am a bit partial to those pavlova's from "The cheescake shop" and it being almost christmas i think me supplying one of those would not be over the top???????

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2007, 10:44 AM
Whys that we are a freindly lot we pick up at the airport you know.

Just ask and you could be surprised.
Do you think you could pick me up at the Mareeba or Innisfail Airport? :D

Waldo
7th December 2007, 10:47 AM
Dj, I'll try for the arvo but won't know until the day :shrug:

(Cliff - get over to the Friday :smack: )

kman-oz
7th December 2007, 01:20 PM
I'd love to have been able to come along, but Mum's doing a pre-Christmas Christmas thing out west on the 16th :( Would love to see you guys in action! :)

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2007, 07:49 PM
Dj i am a bit partial to those pavlova's from "The cheescake shop" and it being almost christmas i think me supplying one of those would not be over the top???????

That sounds good David :2tsup:, I'm partial to Pavlova's too :U

Anne Munro
7th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Sorry DJ, I cannot come after all. Perhaps next year. I have something else on. Have a great time and Merry Christmas
cheers Munza

thumbsucker
7th December 2007, 10:34 PM
Confirmed my place see you all on Sunday - This will be the first time I will turn anything since high school, so I am really hoping to learn something. Dj has agreed that a mallet would make a good first project.

I look forward to talking to Tim, door prices are just a bonus :2tsup:

Since Dj is sorting the meat and soft drinks, all I can think of is a cake, or maybe a salad.

I may bring something spicy for those who like myself, eat fire.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th December 2007, 10:38 PM
A mallet? OK, that's the meat tenderiser sorted.

Who's going to be turning the seating? :U

DJ’s Timber
7th December 2007, 10:42 PM
A mallet? OK, that's the meat tenderiser sorted.

Who's going to be turning the seating? :U

That reminds me, those that want to park their bum had better bring a folding chair or similar as I only have about 6 or so outdoor chairs here.

powderpost
7th December 2007, 11:03 PM
I am easier to get on with than Cliff, pickup at Cairns airport will be easier... Thanks.
Jim :D

scooter
7th December 2007, 11:07 PM
PM sent. :)

I'll bring a coleslaw if that suits, DJ?

Cheers...................Sean

rodent
8th December 2007, 01:39 AM
Ok calm you bring the pavlova ill bring the chocolate ripple cake , scooters got the coleslaw we all bring seats and drinks .what no lamingtons or white christmas whats the world coming to .:oo:

Groggy
8th December 2007, 08:56 AM
I guess that leaves Skew to do the turning while everyone else feeds their face :D:p

thumbsucker
8th December 2007, 11:59 AM
I guess that leaves Skew to do the turning while everyone else feeds their face :D:p

Not on his life :D

ss_11000
8th December 2007, 03:42 PM
That reminds me, those that want to park their bum had better bring a folding chair or similar as I only have about 6 or so outdoor chairs here.
BYO FUC:oo:

( bring your own fold up chair...i thought it was funny when i first saw that ^^^ )

watson
8th December 2007, 04:14 PM
I've just realised it's DJ's Birthday today (HB and all that stuff DJ),
But that got me thinking........mine is the day after the Turnfest.........so guess when all the relos are coming ...........(Sunday the 16th).....so I guess I'm out.....Bugger.

wheelinround
8th December 2007, 04:21 PM
Happy Birthday DJ :2tsup: eat drink and be merry

Calm
8th December 2007, 09:34 PM
Happy Birthday DJ :2tsup: eat drink and be merry

He might not want to be Mary

Big Shed
8th December 2007, 09:40 PM
Happy birthday DJ, have a good one!:2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
8th December 2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys :2tsup: been a quiet day relaxing and checking out some garage sales

Cliff Rogers
9th December 2007, 12:56 PM
HB DJ. :2tsup:

rsser
10th December 2007, 03:18 PM
Apologies folks - looks like I have to bow to other demands on Sunday and miss the turnfest.

Vern, PM me if you'd like to get together on Sat. I'm in the next suburb to where you're staying.

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2007, 06:29 PM
Ern boy, where's your priorities mate :doh:, turning first, other stuff second :q :U

rsser
10th December 2007, 06:32 PM
Yeah, (expletive deleted) Xmas do's.

PenTurner
10th December 2007, 09:25 PM
OK, looks like I have clearance from SWMBO, if you need a ride and are near Ferntree Gully, let me know.
DJ, do you need an Amp and Microphone etc.?
Also a Suggestion, please put on a name tag so that new turners can see who the old turners are!? Amos

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2007, 09:45 PM
DJ, do you need an Amp and Microphone etc.?

Also a Suggestion, please put on a name tag so that new turners can see who the old turners are!?

Thanks but I don't think they will be needed :o :U, we are loud enough as it is :doh:

Got the name situation sorted, will have stick on labels printed with name & username :2tsup:

scooter
10th December 2007, 10:26 PM
Got the name situation sorted, will have stick on labels printed with name & username :2tsup:

Great idea, with BIG clear writing pls for those of us with crap eyesight :D

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2007, 10:32 PM
Great idea, with BIG clear writing pls for those of us with crap eyesight :D

Something like this Sean :q

Sean
scooter

:U

scooter
10th December 2007, 11:17 PM
Bean... ??

Don't mind me, looks great :D

RETIRED
10th December 2007, 11:29 PM
I need them in braille.:cool:

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2007, 11:39 PM
Don't know that I would want you feeling my chest up, trying to work out who I am :o :q

Cliff Rogers
10th December 2007, 11:46 PM
You walked into that one . :D

Calm
11th December 2007, 07:33 AM

remember Dj was the one with the Hammer at Ern's:D:D

RETIRED
11th December 2007, 07:40 AM
But I got an axe.:D

rodent
12th December 2007, 02:05 AM
So fred ( Crazyscew ) sad Im a blind ### to me once too often , so Im going to have my eyes checked and new a perscription made up . just for thoughs small jobs mini goblets , bowls , vases , the road :cool:, earrings and thoughs bobbin things .:no: PS . how fast can you run ? Dj's got a ride on lawn mower thats real fast with a crazy man at the wheel .

DJ’s Timber
13th December 2007, 11:23 PM
Weather is looking good for Sunday up here :2tsup:, low to mid 20's.

I think I have PM my address to everyone that have said they are coming, those that have not received my address or haven't indicated if they want to come, send me a PM and I will send you my address.

Also a word of warning to everyone, I have 2 dogs here and they will come running and barking with a bit of growling going on as well :o, this just their usual greeting for everyone bar me :roll:. Jed (Jet Black) 62377 can be patted with no problems at all but watch out for Sally (Red Collar with brown brindle hair) 62371 she hates any strangers trying to give her a pat and will nip your hand as soon as you try to pat her, so just ignore her, she will come and have sniff of you and then wander off.

Kiwibrucee
14th December 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi, Got work and things sorted out so sunday is free, only a learner turner but I'd love to come and see your setup out there so I'll be hitching a ride with Groggy:2tsup: if thats ok DJ.

Bruce T.