PDA

View Full Version : where to buy and tools and get tuition

aljenit
3rd November 2003, 07:30 PM
hello, I am a woman interested in turning and general furniture making (thanks to my father). Where is the best place to get woodturning tuition around melbourne or geelong? or maybe good short courses at Tafes :). I have the opportunity to buy second hand Sorby turning chisels this week and wonder what I should look for in setting up a beginners kit.I have read about the choices, but hope advice from wood turners could be more helpful. Thank you :)

q9
4th November 2003, 01:25 AM
Sorby is one of the premium brands, and I would say that if the price is right, get everything.

New prices range from around $50 to $100+ for handled tools.

Most important thing you will need to purchase is a decent grinder and some sort of jig to keep the tools sharp. There have been extensive discussions already on sharpening on here, have a look around.

I would also recommend Keith Rowleys "Woodturning - A Foundation Course". (spelling and title may be a bit off, it's around here somewhere...)

There is a shop call The Woodsmith (www.thewoodsmith.com.au)in Croydon which I found to be quite good for advice when I was getting my first lot of tools (Sorby).

Probably a good idea to contact some of the woodworking clubs nearby.

JackoH
4th November 2003, 08:58 AM
In the Geelong area you are surrounded by Wood Working Clubs. ( See list of clubs on this Board.)
You will find that one of them will suit your purposes and the members will give you all the info. you could ever wish for.
Good Luck with your projects. ;)

ozwinner
4th November 2003, 04:42 PM
A damsel in distress, Where's Stinky.................................
:D

Jim Carroll
4th November 2003, 06:29 PM
Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies
66 Murradoc road Drysdale
Just outside Geelong
5251 3874
www.cws.au.com

Sir Stinkalot
4th November 2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ozwinner
A damsel in distress, Where's Stinky.................................
:D

Damn public holidays :) Spent the entire day filling a 2m3 skip with the shoddy work from the previous owner. If only I was at work where I can constantly monitor the damsels.

I hope she attended the Geelong WWS last weekend .... there is always somebody there ready to offer helpful advise.

Stinky

minis4meau
5th November 2003, 02:17 PM
Oooh, goody, another girl!!
These fellas bark worse than they bight. They really are the most helpful guys around.
I am only a relative newby at woodturning, longer at woodwork, and love it! Building up the workshop slowly but expensively.
Hang in there and get turning, girl, we need every woman we can get around here.
Barbara

ozwinner
5th November 2003, 05:00 PM
I like girls, my wife is a girl.................:D
Cheers, Allan :)

Spike
5th November 2003, 10:31 PM
I suggest a good beginners kit to start would be:-

3/4 inch Roughing Gouge
1 inch Skew chisel (oval)
1/2 inch Skew chisel (Straight)
1/4 or 1/8 inch Parting Tool
3/8 inch Spindle Gouge
3/8 inch Bowl Gouge (long and strong)

Sorby supply all those if you can afford them (approx $300) OR buy them as you need them.

I would also recommend Keith Rowleys book "Woodturning - A Foundation Course". I use it all the time and it has some good starting projects to turn.

Good luck

Cheers
Spike

coastie
6th November 2003, 07:03 PM
I like girls too!!!
I must be a lesbian!!!