PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Turning

Rustic
3rd November 2003, 08:23 PM
I have an old Woodfast 3phase lathe. It is an accurate and very solid machine. The only drawback with it is that it has a fixed head and the diameter of cut is only 200 and with a chuck attached this limits very much the thickness of timber as well as the diameter I can use.

I recently bought a left hand thread adaptor for the outboard thread of the shaft to take my chuck but of course until I tried it I did not realise that this would not work and would just twist off. I found out by experiencing a flying saucer, I'm stuck with it.

Has anyone overcome this problem in any way, if so could you please help I'd love to try a small tabletop or large bowl.

Sid

reuelt
3rd November 2003, 09:04 PM
If two of the wires of 3-phase wires of the motor is reversed, the 3-phase motor will run in the opposite direction and will then will tighten the chuck into the LH thread as you spin.

Get an electrician to connect for you a selector switch so that you can run motor in normal direction when turning between centers and the motor in other direction when turning outboard.

Also do check that the thread of the chuck-insert is definately correct size and pitch.

reuelt
4th November 2003, 06:46 AM
Sorry but I also think it is lots safer to get a chuck with custom LH threads to suit your outboard spindle LH thread.

IanA
4th November 2003, 08:42 PM
Given that the outboard spindle thread is LH, reversing the direction of rotation is just as likely to create another flying saucer.

A chuck or faceplate with the correct LH thread is definitely the only safe way to go.

As you are talking of turning stuff too large for the inboard side, a decent faceplate (maybe 200mm dia) may be your best option.

Rustic
8th November 2003, 04:12 PM
Thankyou for your advice re a method to use my woodfast outboard. I will try to obtain a faceplate with the left hand thread

Sid