PDA

View Full Version : eggsited

thefixer
13th November 2007, 10:56 PM
G'day all

I decided to have a go at making some googs after SWMBO saw a bowl full of cackle berries at the Melbourne WWWS and reckoned she must have some. ( I knew I should have left her at home:doh:) Anyway, I hunted around my "can't throw that out" collection and knocked up a bum nut chuck thanks to info from this forum. I had a few practice runs on the weekend and now after coming out of my shell I'm almost an eggspert. Although it's not what it's cracked up to be. I made this little set tonite and SWMBO was bloody eggcited. All yolks aside, what do youse reckon?

Cheers
Shorty

DJ’s Timber
13th November 2007, 11:14 PM
You have every right to be eggcited :U, you've done a nice job on that one :2tsup:

RETIRED
13th November 2007, 11:33 PM
Right up Verns alley I reckon.:D:wink:

TTIT
14th November 2007, 12:38 AM
Too many puns but I'll give the egg the :2tsup:.

Show SWMBO this lot (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/eggpage/alleggs.htm) and she'll have you turning 24/7 :;

wheelinround
14th November 2007, 07:35 AM
nice like the ring effect on both pieces r is it still all one

Ttit must be fun doing easter egg hunts at your place

OGYT
14th November 2007, 10:09 AM
:rofl: :rotfl:
:2tsup: also. Well done. I've gotta try one of those egg cups. Looks like a good thing for the craft shows. :D

mugwoody
14th November 2007, 01:04 PM
Eggcellent Job there shorty.

Done very nicely with the grain match, so comes the next question?

Is it all one piece or does the egg come away from the cup?

Peter
Mugwoody

Caveman
14th November 2007, 04:27 PM
:2tsup:Nice egg shorty - yet to try one myself - still on the list!

Show SWMBO this lot (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/eggpage/alleggs.htm) and she'll have you turning 24/7 :;

:o Vern - that's a serious number of eggs - what a great collection and timber reference.

When did you start making them?

TTIT
14th November 2007, 04:37 PM
.............:o Vern - that's a serious number of eggs - what a great collection and timber reference.

When did you start making them?A couple of years ago but it's grown from about 60 to where it is now just this year - still about 30 blanks of species from the USA to turn over the next couple of weeks - but I'm not starting on eggcups for 'em, that's for sure :o......... but somebody recently told me of a guy whose entire timber collection is as eggcups all turned to the same profile to show off the characteristics of the timber - apparently has whole walls covered in shelves of them. There's an idea for ya' Shorty!!!:;... one down, 3547.........

RETIRED
14th November 2007, 05:37 PM
still about 30 blanks of species from the USASlack, very slack.:wink::D

rsser
14th November 2007, 08:18 PM
Eggsellent work Vern, and Shorty. Something to crow about.

Harry72
14th November 2007, 09:09 PM
I betcha shortys SWMBO is "eggstatic" about that one!

Dennis Millard
14th November 2007, 09:15 PM
G'day all

I decided to have a go at making some googs after SWMBO saw a bowl full of cackle berries at the Melbourne WWWS and reckoned she must have some. ( I knew I should have left her at home:doh:) Anyway, I hunted around my "can't throw that out" collection and knocked up a bum nut chuck thanks to info from this forum. I had a few practice runs on the weekend and now after coming out of my shell I'm almost an eggspert. Although it's not what it's cracked up to be. I made this little set tonite and SWMBO was bloody eggcited. All yolks aside, what do youse reckon?

Cheers
Shorty

This reminded me of one I did some time ago. It' s in Redgum and I will try to add pics.

thefixer
14th November 2007, 10:11 PM
Eggcellent Job there shorty.

Done very nicely with the grain match, so comes the next question?

Is it all one piece or does the egg come away from the cup?

Peter
Mugwoody

Two pieces from the same length of stock.

Stu in Tokyo
15th November 2007, 12:19 AM
I've been turning about 4 eggs a day since the beginning of October. I went to a demo with Jean-Francois Escoulen and he does a two minute egg, using just the Bedan, amazing to watch. I have my own Bedan now and he told me to practice every day, so I do.

Nice egg, and great holder! :2tsup:

rsser
15th November 2007, 06:10 AM
.... no more eggscruciating puns please!

rsser
15th November 2007, 08:01 AM
btw Vern, you don't have an egg of almond (the nut) tree?

Got a couple of bits if you're interested. What size would you need?

TTIT
15th November 2007, 08:42 AM
btw Vern, you don't have an egg of almond (the nut) tree?

Got a couple of bits if you're interested. What size would you need?Not eggsactly Ern (uuurrrggghhhhh - I wasn't gonna do that!) :B One of the blanks waiting for me from the USA is indeed almond - thanks for the offer though :2tsup:

Elbow
15th November 2007, 08:43 AM
I'll bet everyone is scrambling for them

Allan:U

Harry72
15th November 2007, 10:03 PM
Yep looks like we're all on the boil!

mick61
16th November 2007, 03:10 PM
G`day guys not to get of track with the eggs but I have to say Vern that is a great website that you have there I am very impressed by the work you have put into it.I dont know about other turners but I am often frustrated by seeing a tree and wondering what the hell it is and if it`s any good for turning your site would be a great help to turners up your way.If your site has not been put in the sticky for usefull sites it should be :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:.
I will have a look in my wood pile and see if I have any timbers not on your list and gladly send a few up i can start with brown mallee,i didn`t notice it on your site. 100x50mm correct size for egg blanks ?
Mick:D

robyn2839
16th November 2007, 05:20 PM
A couple of years ago but it's grown from about 60 to where it is now just this year - still about 30 blanks of species from the USA to turn over the next couple of weeks . are there any aussie timbers on your wish list for the eggs vern?. bob

TTIT
16th November 2007, 11:19 PM
Don't wanna hijack Shorty's thread any more than we have already - PM's on the way to you Mick and Bob.

rodent
20th November 2007, 11:36 PM
All yoking aside nice piece of turning .:2tsup: ( what do the cracked ones look like ) .:doh: