PDA

View Full Version : My New Mortise Chisel's

Graham Skinner
14th November 2007, 04:00 PM
Hello Everyone.

I got these from a guy selling on e-bay.
Japanese cabinet makers mortise chisels, size's 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm with white oak handle's, I have got to make my daughter some doll house furniture and thought these would be just the ticket.
I believe that thier maker/brand name is YASAKU if any of you know if I am right about this please let me know.

60222 60221

Anyway thanks for looking, and have a good day.

Pops
14th November 2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Graham,

Nice, very nice. :)

What is your sharpening method for them.? Those skinny little fellows look tricky by hand.

Cheers
Pops

Graham Skinner
15th November 2007, 08:03 AM
Hi Graham,

Nice, very nice. :)

What is your sharpening method for them.? Those skinny little fellows look tricky by hand.

Cheers
Pops

Hi Pops

I will use the method in David Charlsworths first book to flatten the backs, its a kind of a half sideways in and out movement (if that makes any sense) I used this method on my 3mm dovetail chisel and it worked out OK.

Anyway thanks for the reply and regards...Graham...

Sheets
17th November 2007, 05:29 AM
Graham, have you had a chance to use these yet? We must shop at the same places, as I also have some of these (7.5 and 12mm as well as some oire nomi with the boxwood handles- same as in your other post). I'm making shoji doors, so lots of mortising, and I've found them to be excellent.
Anyone else have any experience with this brand?

Graham Skinner
17th November 2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Sheets.

Have not had time to do anything to these chisels yet, I have sharpened the two in my other thread and and they came out pretty good.
I think that you are right about "OUR" store and he seem's like a good guy to me, He sent me the wrong chisels on a couple of occasions and sent replacemens off right away and did'nt even want the wrong one's returned:).
I think he still has some of these mortice chisels for sale ( 3mm, and the 4.5mm) and if you need other size's you can get them from Japan woodworks store in the USA but they are about $60. each:(.

Anyhow thanks for the message...Regards...Graham...

TassieKiwi
17th November 2007, 01:00 PM
Your mortice chisel's what?

:p

Sheets
20th May 2008, 02:20 PM
Exceeded the design limit, but not beyond repair. I must have over done the levering when chopping deep mortices - everything has its limit.:o I was careful not to chip the edge, never thought I could bend the shank.:doh:

Emailed the company for advice (cold bend or hot bend). They recommended the cold bend - hit with a rubber mallet to remove the bend. I tried that, but just kept making deeper impressions in the wooden support blocks.:~ So solution was to drill a hole in a dead tree, put the blade in (handle removed) and put a pipe over the tang and shank. Applied judicious weight opposite to the bend (important) and everything came out OK.:2tsup:

Steve